Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can an average joe replace heater channels?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I would def not be attempting this without this forum!

Anyway, now that I have the actual channel in hand, I figured I'd share some close ups since I don't recall ever seeing a thorough photo collection of this pretty complex looking thing. That "black line" on retailer websites just isn't that helpful!

The rear part that gets welded to the rear wheel well. The left side is the outer side where the rocker skin goes. The loopy thing at the top is where the carpet tucks into...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The front part with the end plate that gets sandwiched next to the dogleg. 18 gauge? Thinner than I expected...

But I suppose these triangular indentations provide structure. At the bottom is the drainhole...

And the pan bolt hole with nuts welded on inside...

Heater vent opening where the plastic vent cover will go. Design is a little strange...

Y-tube opening where the heat will come from...

AND here is a comparison with the 2"x3" tube I bought before. I'm no engineer nor do I claim to know anything about this kind of stuff, but honestly, the 1/8" thick tube gives me way more confidence in a little fender bender than this 18 gauge animal with all its fancy bends. That tube just feels solid. But I know, there are smart engineers behind this thing and if I'm worried about safety, don't drive this car...

dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have the piece on the left Smile

The black pieces are pretty terrible. Just a word of warning. If you use the black piece, take out the black 'captive' nuts. They are 100% useless. You will strip anything you put in them. Put in your own nut and weld it in (there's other pro version captive nuts meant to be welded in but regular nuts work well for me).

I would use the black piece as a template and build up your square 1/8" thick piece as the actual structure. It will be more work, but it might actually fit better. The black piece is really really flexy.

Edit; Read the whole thread and you have already addressed the captive nut issue. As for rust treatment, Por 15 is garbage. Ideally, you don't even WANT heat. Heater channels rust out because they are trying to do the impossible (something like carry hot air from the back, which turns to condensation when it cools inside a locked away tube).
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may quite possibly be the last shots of her complete for awhile. It's been just over 1 year since I got her and the plan now is to prep her this weekend for the grinder. Shots like these make me wonder why I should even do any work on her, but of course it's only strategic positioning and digital camera settings hiding the ugliness.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy In your driver side pic...almost looks like she is bending in the middle Crying or Very sad
perhaps just an illusion Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an illusion, though you made me think twice. Here's a good shot... straight as an arrow. But there are them bubbles...

Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck! Very inspirational thread. I think you made the correct decision to go with the reproduction panels. Way back in the early 1990's I had the rust repair done onmy 72 coupe by "Auto Rust Doctors" in NJ...they are out of business (they should have never been in business in the first place).
Well they replaced the rockers with steel tube, and the job was/is horrible! They welded the rockers to the pan, so now there is no way to actually remove the body. All of the body bolts are now gone. I'm sure the value of my car has dropped because of this terrible job. I wish I was smarter in 1992!

Zack
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack1978 wrote:
Best of luck! Very inspirational thread. I think you made the correct decision to go with the reproduction panels. Way back in the early 1990's I had the rust repair done onmy 72 coupe by "Auto Rust Doctors" in NJ...they are out of business (they should have never been in business in the first place).
Well they replaced the rockers with steel tube, and the job was/is horrible! They welded the rockers to the pan, so now there is no way to actually remove the body. All of the body bolts are now gone. I'm sure the value of my car has dropped because of this terrible job. I wish I was smarter in 1992!

Zack

With all things there is a right and a wrong way to do things. The tube has to be stronger then the bent sheet metal, and rust may not be an issue in your lifetime due to the thickness of the steel tubing. I see the tubing as a great option for the car's heater channels.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack1978 wrote:

Zack

In 1992 they probably were not making repro parts. It was either salvage, NOS or fabricate from tubing. However the person doing the work clearly did not know what they were doing.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
This may quite possibly be the last shots of her complete for awhile. It's been just over 1 year since I got her and the plan now is to prep her this weekend for the grinder. Shots like these make me wonder why I should even do any work on her, but of course it's only strategic positioning and digital camera settings hiding the ugliness.

People are liking it on Facebook...you have 200+ thumbs up. Smile

https://www.facebook.com/TheSamba?fref=nf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm honored. But only 200 likes when all those bugs and buses are getting 1000+?!

Step 1: Park it

Anyway, she has gotten her last view of the beach and palm trees and is now parked strategically in my garage so as not to disrupt our daily lives too much. I decided to put it up on blocks (literally) and pavers, which are evidence of home projects I've left undone in order to play on the ghia. The sill is now at about 2 feet height instead 1 foot which my back will appreciate.

So aside from all the research and purchasing parts and supplies, I'm considering this step 1 of this project... and it only took 5 pages of this thread to get there. I think you call that a "long runway".

Btw, those bikes are a sampling of my gateway drug into the ghia. I used to be somewhat preoccupied restoring classic bikes and though I'm still a "bike guy", I must admit I am becoming more obsessed with rust panels than lugged tubes.

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Well, I'm honored. But only 200 likes when all those bugs and buses are getting 1000+?!

Step 1: Park it

Anyway, she has gotten her last view of the beach and palm trees and is now parked strategically in my garage so as not to disrupt our daily lives too much. I decided to put it up on blocks (literally) and pavers, which are evidence of home projects I've left undone in order to play on the ghia. The sill is now at about 2 feet height instead 1 foot which my back will appreciate.

So aside from all the research and purchasing parts and supplies, I'm considering this step 1 of this project... and it only took 5 pages of this thread to get there. I think you call that a "long runway".

Btw, those bikes are a sampling of my gateway drug into the ghia. I used to be somewhat preoccupied restoring classic bikes and though I'm still a "bike guy", I must admit I am becoming more obsessed with rust panels than lugged tubes.

Just a word of advice. Do not rely on those blocks to support the weight of the car. Blocks can fail and if you are under the car that would not be good.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do not rely on those blocks to support the weight of the car. Blocks can fail and if you are under the car that would not be good.

X2!!
Why do you think those karate guys always do the headbutt on concrete blocks?
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:

Just a word of advice. Do not rely on those blocks to support the weight of the car. Blocks can fail and if you are under the car that would not be good.

x3! Good luck and most of all be safe!
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn

Last edited by moogie32 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'm not too concerned though because... forgive my annoyingly over-analytical tendencies Rolling Eyes ... car is 2500 pounds I believe, so being generous the most any corner will bear is about 1000 pounds. The way the pavers are sitting on top, there is about 36 square inches of the block bearing the weight at each corner. That equates to about 28 pounds psi of downward compression being exerted on the blocks. They are rated at 1900 pounds psi.

BUT I realize it looks pretty hairy and all I need is one faulty block to turn my life terribly upside down... so I do have jack stands under the torsion tubes. I will be careful!

Step 2: Remove door

Had to buy a #4 phillips bit. Got it at Napa based on another Samba thread and I couldn't find at other tool retailers...

Straightforward removal of door. Fortunately the PO apparently resprayed recently and the bolts have been on and off so I just needed a firm twist. I've read horror stories here so good luck to those who have crusted on bolts. Also removed the sill plate...

Pulled the carpet strip off the channel and here's a nice view of the rust through the heater vent and a hole near the dogleg that couldn't withstand just a gentle finger poke...

And here's a closer look at the front-of-door section. SOOO curious what it looks like inside. Btw, that black tube running along the right of the sill are the wires going up to the front...

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt look too bad, i think you could get away with some Eastwood internal frame coating and bolt it all back up Wink
Good luck on your repair.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the bottom of the A pillars behind the mud plates?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrestled the side trims off from front-of-door and torsion cover section. Labeled since they are slightly different lengths...

If you have these plastic clips too, the only way to remove is to punch in the middle "dowel" and then pull out the clips with pliers. But if you can't retrieve the dowel, they are no good anymore. I'll figure out how to put the trim back on later...

Last edited by J1 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 3: Brace door

When I first got my welder, my eyes opened up to the vast possibilities of scrap metal. So I held on to parts of a wrought iron gate from my friend's church expecting it would come in handy one day. Gate meet door brace.

I had to buy bolts since the actual hinge bolts were too short for this design so fyi, they are size M8 with 1.25 pitch.

What I learned in this step is that my welding skills remain superbly inadequate. The good news is it's just the brace and I think it's good enough for this purpose. I'm saving my energy for the real work. Took me "only" about 3 hours... a pro would whip this out in what, 30 minutes?!

Anyway, all the prep work is done and the actual cutting of the car will be next Shocked

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those plastic clips look like aftermarket. You should be able to buy replacements from KGPR.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good weld likes clean metal. Grind to clean metal, your welds will get better.
In addition to the replacement clips from KGPR...these work great, just snip the tail off.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: