Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear window size comparability
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NKOTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Rear window size comparability Reply with quote

hey ya'll. i am finishing a chopped vintage euro looker- ready to fire, and got caught up with a little complication. Original fabricator of the chassis had left the rear opening for the glass to be 16.5"h x 35.5"w. My rear glass from 72' is few inches taller. I have made (using square tube bender, then cutting niche inside) safari frames to go all around 5 remaining openings, and will cut laminated glass, but i am hoping to leave the rear remaining as the original builder intended. Do to pretty good quality of the chop i believe he would not make it too much out of specs.

can anybody hint me what 16.5"high and 35.5"wide comes from? It is measured vertical to vertical part of the opening.
thanx!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'72 was the first year of the last rear window enlargement. I would check for the dimensions of the rear window that fits the '65-'71 Beetle to see if you have a match. I had a '71 and even replaced it to get the rear window defroster working, but I never checked for dimensions.
NKOTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you oasis
i might be getting somewhere. too bad i do not know many vw ppl to compare the sizes. Probably will look for dimension comparability on junk yards.
This has a very close match might be it- pre72"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1406984
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten bucks can't be beat but a 5.5-hour drive might be a disincentive (unless you're from Savannah, Tenn., instead of Ga. which I immediately assumed).

If that doesn't work out, call CIP or MidAmerica who sell rear windows. One of their automatons should be able to answer that basic question.
NKOTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just using it as a reference, but simply calling cip1 might totally work. Regardless to generic quality of that warehouse I have always gotten great help calling that place!
thank you again Oasis again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: