Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who sells quality window rubber?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a few years ago but I used West Coast Metric window rubbers on my '66. They all installed easily including the windshield. BUT the windshield rubber curled up at the edges and looked like CRAP. This was cut out and replaced with a German made seal. The replacement was from CIP too and featured molded corners. It was much harder to install but fit perfectly once in place. The reproduction chrome trim also came from West Coast Metric and some pieces were made incorrectly and did not fit well. I ended up finding some decent used trim instead. Definitely molded corner German made seals are the best.
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWD wrote:
branston wrote:
BWD wrote:
Vewib.

Yep Vewib if you can find them here in the USA. WW and WCM are just okay. Generic no molded corners like OEM Vewib has. Rear windshield seals are okay, front windshield are junk truly. I busted a windshield try to get them to work and all WW could say was hit it with a 2x4.

Bought a second set from Vewib and they are Gods gift to VW folk.....

It's a shame that Bobby(Viande) decided to screw some people over and split, he could have had a real following! I was lucky enough to get some good rubber, before he turned criminal!

I only had good dealings with Bobby - not really aware of the real story there. I've reflected many times on bringing Vewib stuff to the US. It really is in another class. I'm not impressed by the WCM/WW smokescreen. VW NEVER sold seals without molded corner so who do they think they are kidding? Their chrome/anodized inserts are junk too. Vewib fits like VW made it.
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

branston wrote:
BWD wrote:
branston wrote:
BWD wrote:
Vewib.

Yep Vewib if you can find them here in the USA. WW and WCM are just okay. Generic no molded corners like OEM Vewib has. Rear windshield seals are okay, front windshield are junk truly. I busted a windshield try to get them to work and all WW could say was hit it with a 2x4.

Bought a second set from Vewib and they are Gods gift to VW folk.....

It's a shame that Bobby(Viande) decided to screw some people over and split, he could have had a real following! I was lucky enough to get some good rubber, before he turned criminal!

I only had good dealings with Bobby - not really aware of the real story there. I've reflected many times on bringing Vewib stuff to the US. It really is in another class. I'm not impressed by the WCM/WW smokescreen. VW NEVER sold seals without molded corner so who do they think they are kidding? Their chrome/anodized inserts are junk too. Vewib fits like VW made it.

I never had any problems with him. I know a few people that weren't happy with what they got from him, just typical cheap parts you could get anywhere, I was surprised! Then he seemed to get overwhelmed with all the requests and pissed because people didn't just buy from him! Confused He started ranting that all the big name stores, WW, WCM, that guy that sold out to Mid America, can't think of his company name, something like OVdub, were selling nothing but junk and he wasn't just talking about rubber, he said it was all junk! Rolling Eyes
To bad, I had more things I wanted to buy from him!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a German molded window rubber set from CIP1 and was pleasantly surprised when it showed up with Vewib labels on all pieces. The fit is perfect. I have tried the WCM and WW rubber in the past and been disappointed with both of them. Maybe CIP1 is the new source for Vewib rubbers?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graysky wrote:
I just bought a German molded window rubber set from CIP1 and was pleasantly surprised when it showed up with Vewib labels on all pieces. The fit is perfect. I have tried the WCM and WW rubber in the past and been disappointed with both of them. Maybe CIP1 is the new source for Vewib rubbers?

This is good news, I just stuck a bunch of things in my wish list! Cool
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graysky wrote:

Do you have any pictures of the seals installed? Specifically of the splices. Also, did you get the metal trim from them also? Thanks in advance
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubmyk wrote:
graysky wrote:

Do you have any pictures of the seals installed? Specifically of the splices. Also, did you get the metal trim from them also? Thanks in advance

Here you go. Yes, I did buy the trim from them as well.

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...never bought from WW...always buy from Bughaus.com in Tulsa. Bought all window rubber for my '54 , '55, '60 Euro and '63 bug...he must inspect it first. Always get nice seamless rubber.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has it held up? And was it easier to install? That looks much better than this...

NewVWFan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graysky wrote:
Javelinman wrote:
Cip1 stuff is horrible!

Just curious, in what way is Cip1 rubber horrible?

Well, if you are lucky enough to get a set with decent seams and it doesn't split on installation. It will dry out, shrink and crack within one year. Rubber is Total Garbage from Cip1
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewVWFan wrote:
graysky wrote:
Javelinman wrote:
Cip1 stuff is horrible!

Just curious, in what way is Cip1 rubber horrible?

Well, if you are lucky enough to get a set with decent seams and it doesn't split on installation. It will dry out, shrink and crack within one year. Rubber is Total Garbage from Cip1

Does that statement include their German ones or Brazilian ones?
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy the real German seals from CIP with the molded corners, they are good quality. I have NEVER seen any Brazilian made rubber that has EVER lasted more than a couple of years without cracking horribly, and I don't exactly live in a hot and dry area...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed a windshield on a '57 using Vewib rubber for the first time. I've always used West Coast Metric rubber in the past and have always been very pleased with the quality, fit, finish and longevity.

This past fall, though, I was disappointed in the fit of the WCM rubber on the windshield. The bottom outside corners didn't fit well. First time I've ever had that problem with WCM rubber.

I decided to give Vewib rubber a try and replace the WCM seal.

Overall impressions:

1. The splice seam on the Vewib rubber is much more noticeable compared to WCM.

2. I can take or leave the molded corners. I've never had a problem getting WCM rubber to fit the contour of the glass and, in fact, I feel the WCM rubber has a snugger fit around the perimeter, overall. It's rubber...it bends to fit.

3. Installing the trim on the Vewib rubber was a flipping pain in the ass compared to the WCM rubber. (See my install thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7584211#7584211 ) The Vewib rubber just wouldn't grab the trim and hold it the same way as the WCM rubber.

4. Overall fit and finish of the Vewib rubber is quite nice. The bottom, outside corners fit pretty well. Not perfectly, but pretty well. I'm beginning to wonder if my glass is not the correct size, as it is an old repro piece, and if it is smaller or those bottom corner contours are off, I can see where it would effect how the rubber seats. The Vewib rubber does fit the outside better than the WCM seal in this case.

5. I'm a little disappointed on how the Vewib rubber fits on the inside of the car. The contour of the rubber is quite thick...to the point that it seems to block the defrost vents considerably.

6. Installation of the windshield into the car was just as easy as WCM rubber.

Considering the price of the Vewib rubber, I'm not ready to give up on WCM. I've used WCM rubber for over 20 years and until this recent windshield rubber issue, have alway been happy with it and how it holds up to weather and sun abuse. I'll see how the Vewib weathers, though. Overall, it does seem pretty good, with the exception of my points above.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsonmybrain wrote:
Just installed a windshield on a '57 using Vewib rubber for the first time. I've always used West Coast Metric rubber in the past and have always been very pleased with the quality, fit, finish and longevity.

This past fall, though, I was disappointed in the fit of the WCM rubber on the windshield. The bottom outside corners didn't fit well. First time I've ever had that problem with WCM rubber.

I decided to give Vewib rubber a try and replace the WCM seal.

Overall impressions:

1. The splice seam on the Vewib rubber is much more noticeable compared to WCM.

2. I can take or leave the molded corners. I've never had a problem getting WCM rubber to fit the contour of the glass and, in fact, I feel the WCM rubber has a snugger fit around the perimeter, overall. It's rubber...it bends to fit.

3. Installing the trim on the Vewib rubber was a flipping pain in the ass compared to the WCM rubber. (See my install thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7584211#7584211 ) The Vewib rubber just wouldn't grab the trim and hold it the same way as the WCM rubber.

4. Overall fit and finish of the Vewib rubber is quite nice. The bottom, outside corners fit pretty well. Not perfectly, but pretty well. I'm beginning to wonder if my glass is not the correct size, as it is an old repro piece, and if it is smaller or those bottom corner contours are off, I can see where it would effect how the rubber seats. The Vewib rubber does fit the outside better than the WCM seal in this case.

5. I'm a little disappointed on how the Vewib rubber fits on the inside of the car. The contour of the rubber is quite thick...to the point that it seems to block the defrost vents considerably.

6. Installation of the windshield into the car was just as easy as WCM rubber.

Considering the price of the Vewib rubber, I'm not ready to give up on WCM. I've used WCM rubber for over 20 years and until this recent windshield rubber issue, have alway been happy with it and how it holds up to weather and sun abuse. I'll see how the Vewib weathers, though. Overall, it does seem pretty good, with the exception of my points above.

Curious as to where you purchased the Vewib rubber from? I agree with you in that the WCM rubber has always been the best window rubbers, especially compared to Wolfsburg West.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Curious as to where you purchased the Vewib rubber from? I agree with you in that the WCM rubber has always been the best window rubbers, especially compared to Wolfsburg West.

CIP1, of all places. They don't list it as Vewib on their site...just as "Genuine German window rubber." As mentioned earlier in the thread, it comes with the Vewib label. Link below...you can also buy individual pieces:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D113%2D898%2D121%2DAGR
evlwevl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my experience with WCM rubber. No matter how much I tried to push it into the corners, I had gaps in both lower corners of the windshield and rear quarters. I Had the car out at a show where WCM had a booth, but they wouldn't come and look at it to maybe replace the rubber because I didn't buy it from them directly. I though the rep was very rude.

55 Prostreet Bug
59 Daily Driver Bug
63 Baja
00 Turbo New Beetle
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evlwevl wrote:
This was my experience with WCM rubber. No matter how much I tried to push it into the corners, I had gaps in both lower corners of the windshield and rear quarters. I Had the car out at a show where WCM had a booth, but they wouldn't come and look at it to maybe replace the rubber because I didn't buy it from them directly. I though the rep was very rude.

That's disappointing to hear, and it looks much the same as the WCM windshield rubber I just replaced. The bottom corner on the passenger side was so bad, it leaked rain water in and filled up my glove box. My rear quarter windows are better than that, but still not quite up to my past expectations. It's really a shame...until these past few years, I would never consider any other window rubber than WCM. I still have a WCM windshield and rear window rubber in my 64 that I installed in the mid to late 90's. It's spent a large portion of the time since then sitting out in the sun and weather and the rubber is still in excellent condition. The fit was much better then, too, though. Sad
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evlwevl wrote:

I didn't have any corner issues like this, but I had one corner that was not tight, and there was enough of a gap that the rubber would try to curl under, like in your pic. I used a piece of soft wood and a mallet and CAREFULLY tapped the chrome trim toward the corner, several soft hits around the whole contour of the corner, and it slowly forced that corner out, fixing the gap.
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panicman wrote:

I used a piece of soft wood and a mallet and CAREFULLY tapped the chrome trim toward the corner, several soft hits around the whole contour of the corner, and it slowly forced that corner out, fixing the gap.

Hmm…good to know. I'll give that a try on the one rear quarter that's a little off.
evlwevl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to always use cal style rubber from Bugpack with most of my custom builds. My 55's rubber is as soft and pliable as the day I installed in back in 1994, so I know good quality rubber can last for years if its made right.

55 Prostreet Bug
59 Daily Driver Bug
63 Baja
00 Turbo New Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: