Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

88mmx74mm build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice because those standard 88's with the short rods on a 74mm crank almost come out the bottom end of the cylinder! I always really liked the way the Porsche 356/912 Engines did it. They have a 74mm stroke and their pistons had a 4th ring below the wrist pin to keep them straight in the cylinder.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Big-Bore-Piston...90188.html
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's still the skirt's job, the rings are there for oil control.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
John mentions the 110 with the 36s Kadrons and the Webbers (unless I misunderstood it) but I want to keep as much low end torque as possible

the Web 163 is good for that, my 1904 is not a screamer on the top end but it pulls really good from idle to 5000rpm.

i've got 163 in my 2021 with brothers 1.25s that actually measure out to 1.34. i can tell you that it's "on the cam" from just off idle and since i was still in takin' it easy break in mode and never took over 6k but can tell you when i back out at 6k it was still climbing hard. just guessing but i'd say it drop off point is somewhere between 6000-6500. maybe its the 1.34 ratios pushing the 163 to its max but i feel like the 163 has low end of 110 and top out of 120 for a very nice range.

you can also do 86b with 1.25s and get similar range and it be easier on the valvetrain. had i known the brothers rockers would measure out to 1.34 my car would have 86b instead of 163...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: