Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LA to Badlands?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

I'm in the super early planning stages of a theoretical hoped for summer vacation trip next year.

I was thinking of going from Los Angeles to Grand Teton/Yellowstone, through the Black Hills, to Badlands. I recently saw some footage of Badlands and it looks like a place I really want to visit.

It's kind of far. Is it too much to do in two weeks? Suggestions? Advice? Warnings?

Any steep passes to avoid or that are unavoidable?

Any must see sights? Hikes?

The first section of road would be to Las Vegas, and then to Salt Lake. I really don't want to stop in cities,d so where would good camp spots be near those two locales?

Thanks for any and all feedback. And pics of your trips to said locales or along the highwayswould be cool, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

Well, we came from East of Badlands, and only about 800 miles each way, so take this with a bit of understanding.

We set out for a target of Casper Wyoming from the North East corner of Iowa on Saturday at about 6pm Central. Skittered across MN and SD, finding some rest at a WalMart, but only for about 5 hours, as it really was not good rest. Got up early Sunday, and made it to Badlands before 10 AM. Had fun hiking around a bit actively looking for critters... sad not to find even a little snake or scorpion or spider, oh well.

Then on to Wall Drug, kids thought that was just plain crazy, and we headed towards Rushmore. The stock 2.1 showed me EXACTLY why I wanted to do the Subaru swap while we caused long long lines of cars behind us as we wove our way into the Black Hills, and finally got to Rushmore. Kids, again, thought that it was just plain crazy. So, we headed for Crazy Horse. Now, at the risk of being a jerk, I think $75 to get into the Crazy Horse thing is a pretty bad dig. We asked if we could just turn around, and the First People person at the gate said OK. There was no way to know that once you turned onto the driveway of the CH destination, there was no way to turn around before the gate! Makes sense in some kind of way to get folks to feel as if they have to shell out the $s. So, we drove in far enough to get an idea about what was going on, and turned around.

Out of the Black Hills and headed south, to where we found a parking lot and got our bearings on where to head next, turned out that Casper wasn't where we wanted to land, and in fact, Douglass WY was the new target. Got in to Douglass before sunset on Sunday.

Next day, the 'big event' started at about 11 AM, so after playing some cards, and guitar and singing funny songs together, we ooh'd an awe'd for the 2 hours of the show, and then the kids said, ok, lets go! Back on the road at 12:30. Drive time was calculated at 12 hours, but we got stuck in backed up traffic on 2 laners for about 3 hours which was aggravating at best. My boy at one point said "dad, just turn the engine off, and I'll push for a while" and that worked out pretty good!!! Only 2 people hollered out they had gas if we needed some.

Anyway, the trip Eastward was uneventful, and after we got back on I-90 into SD, I could keep the speed at around 80, the speed limit all across SD. MN had 75, so I kept it a little slower. Pulled into home at 4:30am Tuesday.

I think that was around 58 hours. Kids said that was the best trip they have ever taken. They got to see everything they had dreamed about on a trip to the Badlands / Black Hills! Daughter said that no trip is long anymore, since we drove to the FL Keys which was 30+ hours each way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pictures got out of order, somehow!

Hope your trip goes well, and takes longer! Wink
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Now, at the risk of being a jerk, I think $75 to get into the Crazy Horse thing is a pretty bad dig.

No doubt! It's been about 20 years since I stopped there last but I don't remember it being even $10. I wonder when/why the price jump.

OP, I don't have much to offer other than a suggestion to go in late spring/early summer - like, before July 4th. Yellowstone is much less crowded (although potentially chilly with some snow) and the Badlands look really REALLY cool when the grass is green.

Buffalo WY is a nice little town to stay in although I'm not sure about their camping scene.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

No doubt! It's been about 20 years since I stopped there last but I don't remember it being even $10. I wonder when/why the price jump.

I talked that over with my mom when we got home. She referenced the time when the construction first started, and the time between then and now where there were a lot of folks very angry with the monument's construction. She also told us that there were folks on both sides of the issue who were making havoc of the project, and that it was just plain shut down for a long time. The new start has been a change of ideals, perhaps idealism, to one in which more of the First People are now more on-board with making some profit, perhaps this is a good thing in general terms. I had no way to deposit said $'s to fund the cause of money gathering at the gate. I do however, really admire the project as a whole. It seems much greater than the monstrosity just to the North. I hope some time I can gather my then-to-be adult children and do another trip like that -- and at that time, actually CAMP! Perhaps we will see good progress at the Crazy Horse monument by then. Smile
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

LA to Zion/Bryce/Capitol Reef
then to Flaming Gorge, UT
then to Teton/Yellowstone
then to Devils Tower/Badlands/Rushmore.

Then work your way back checking out all of the stuff you missed going east.

That's how I'd approach it. Totally doable in two weeks and absolutely worth it.

Edit to add a few photos for inspiration:

LA

Zion/Bryce/Capitol Reef

Flaming Gorge

Teton/Yellowstone

That's as far as my photos go; we haven't been to the Badlands yet. You're getting me fired up to plan a trip, though..

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Well, we came from East of Badlands

We drove to the Black Hills last weekend. We saw tons of Vanagons. At least a couple were the same color as yours. If you saw a beige round headlight van, that was us waving.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

Take highway 212 out of Yellowstone to Red Lodge and up to I90. Its an incredible drive over the Beartooth Mtn range.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

On our recent trips I would drive 60 mph when no one was around or there were four lanes. It was nice to find a big rig going the right speed because the it "looked" like we were stuck behind a slow truck. Laughing I don't think the truckers like having anyone following them though.

I would bump it up to 65-70 when there was more traffic or only two lanes, but I think the Vanagon is happier at 60, and to paraphrase an old saying, when vanagon ain't happy ain't nobody happy....I start to stress when I sense the van being stressed. Like driving back from Yosemite on the 395 in 101 degree heat I said, "Poor thing." And my daughter was like, "Dad, it's a car."

We've done all 5 National Parks in Utah and would happily go back to visit each and every one. The only real reason I consider lifting the Westy is to get to Cathedral Valley in Capitol Reef and the Pinnacles in Canyonlands, both have the advisories for "high clearance vehicles." Not sure if my 85 Westy is high clearance as is. I asked about the necessity for 4WD and was told if it starts raining then it becomes a necessity. I guess I would read weather reports before venturing in....

Badlands intrigues me the same way the Utah parks do. I'm not interested in Rushmore or Crazy Horse because they seem like a desecration IMHO. Just my way of seeing it....

I don't want to spend all the time on the road. I would like to limit driving to 7 hours a day max....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

Totally on board with Joetiger's advice to include the Zion to Capitol Reef route. The stretch around Escalante is diabolically cool, in our Top 5 western roads and we've been exploring those intimately since 1980.

The route is Hurricane (do NOT miss Roberto's taco shop in Hurricane, as good as it gets!) > Zion > Bryce > Escalante > Capitol Reef > Hanksville, highway 12 to 24 if not mistaken.

Badlands is very unique in where it is, but just saying it doesn't hold a candle to the badlands in Death Valley! An old friend was Badlands' Chief Ranger for 8 years and the free campground at Sage Creek is great -- your buggy may go back in time here and be surrounded by buffalo. The campground is just an enclosed-field loop and can hold a lot of people that won't be there in the heat of summer anyway.

But in my opinion, Badland's a one-day drive-through and I'd spend triple that at the Tetons for sure!

Yellowstone's Yellowstone but again, for us a one-day loop and way prettier is the Beartooth Highway!

Keep in mind you'll generally be on USFS and BLM lands so camping is everywhere and extremely unfettered by over-achieving Rangers compared to California (offense-free intentions here and with apologies for minimalist understatement).

It's extremely easy to feel as free as the '60s in these here parts. We're approaching 50 months of full-time Westying and we have yet to reserve a single campsite in the 33 states we've been to so far. We simply refuse playing that game and the only time we couldn't get a site was at Yosemite.

If not off-grid, a secret is to get to priority campgrounds by 11 am, otherwise there's always cancellations that may still be available by noon or later.

— Colin Chapman
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

I've been to the Badlands twice and think it is really neat-to me it felt like a very lunar landscape. I think that the Badlands is where I've had the best view of the stars ever, so if you can plan for being there on a moonless night, I encourage it!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

No doubt, I was considering he only had two weeks. Shocked

We just took 17 days going from Durango to Indy, and that ain't bad. Wink

— Colin Chapman
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Totally on board with Joetiger's advice to include the Zion to Capitol Reef route. The stretch around Escalante is diabolically cool, in our Top 5 western roads and we've been exploring those intimately since 1980.

The route is Hurricane (do NOT miss Roberto's taco shop in Hurricane, as good as it gets!) > Zion > Bryce > Escalante > Capitol Reef > Hanksville, highway 12 to 24 if not mistaken.

Badlands is very unique in where it is, but just saying it doesn't hold a candle to the badlands in Death Valley! An old friend was Badlands' Chief Ranger for 8 years and the free campground at Sage Creek is great -- your buggy may go back in time here and be surrounded by buffalo. The campground is just an enclosed-field loop and can hold a lot of people that won't be there in the heat of summer anyway.

But in my opinion, Badland's a one-day drive-through and I'd spend triple that at the Tetons for sure!

Yellowstone's Yellowstone but again, for us a one-day loop and way prettier is the Beartooth Highway!

Keep in mind you'll generally be on USFS and BLM lands so camping is everywhere and extremely unfettered by over-achieving Rangers compared to California (offense-free intentions here and with apologies for minimalist understatement).

It's extremely easy to feel as free as the '60s in these here parts. We're approaching 50 months of full-time Westying and we have yet to reserve a single campsite in the 33 states we've been to so far. We simply refuse playing that game and the only time we couldn't get a site was at Yosemite.

If not off-grid, a secret is to get to priority campgrounds by 11 am, otherwise there's always cancellations that may still be available by noon or later.

Thanks for the advice. I will mention we've been to Death Valley but I'm sure my wife and daughter will give the thumbs down to a visit in the summer!

Like I mentioned above we've done the Utah parks including the road through Grand Escalante (on the Interior Secretary's chopping block by the way- write your elected representatives). We might just do them again but in the "big 5" we would have to make reservations for camping.

Anyone do the Cathdral Valley (Capitol Reef) or Pinnacles (Canyonlands) in a 2WD Westy? Do I need a lift? My 85 is at 16.5".

My wife grew up at the base of tha Alps in Italy (think the Dolomites) and so is less impressed by mountains (Grand Tetons/Yellowstone) than she is by the desert. Monument Valley is her favorite place on earth. That's why I think she'll like Badlands.

But keep info coming . I still have a few months to plan...

ps just googled bear tooth highway. Looks stunning. Also looks like 25 mph and better check my brakes before we go!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

The top two miles above the Temples of the Sun and Moon is rough but we've done that road in street cars and rentals.

Rentals got there in half the time.

The campground up there is fab-u-lous!!!

Yes on DV being too hot, just comparing badlands. If you bought a Death Valley Impressions book, we'd have $.91 more gas in the tank. Wink

— Colin Chapman
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Rentals got there in half the time.

Yes on DV being too hot, just comparing badlands. If you bought a Death Valley Impressions book, we'd have $.91 more gas in the tank. Wink

Laughing The only place I've rented cars was in Hawaii and I have to agree- something about them makes them excellent off-road vehicles.

I know there is a lot more to see in DV than what we saw but I think that's more of a spring break location. Although I wouldn't mind trying to do the Badwater Ultramarathon..... Shocked

I will be on the lookout for your book.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: LA to Badlands? Reply with quote

If not for the passing-out from CO bit, we could be your chase bus.

Waaay better than Jeeps, rental cars go anywhere.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: