Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 "Weekender" Multivan rear seat operation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: 86 "Weekender" Multivan rear seat operation Reply with quote

OK,

I'm pretty bright when it comes to mechanical things but the rear seat operation has me scratching my head.

1986 Pop Top MultiVan "Weekender", "Z" bed is it? Folding bed.
No arm rests, not wood framed but galvanized sheet metal sides for hinge mounting with a ridgid plastic non removeable front panel (held on with mechanical fasteners).

Pull knob, centered below seat cushion, grab hand holds in seat bottom and lift /pull into bed.

To fold, lift front edge of bed until it clicks and then push down and back into the seat configuration.

This ^^ all works well.

My problem is under seat storage access.

I pull the release knob and lift the seat cushion up, I raise the support arm on the left to keep the seat cushion raised.

After accessing my stuff......
I cannot simply flip away the support arm and resume the seat position..... The seat cushion has clicked and is angled up even without the support rod holding it there.

I must deploy it into full bed mode and I am now able to fold it back into the seating mode.

Am I missing something obvious here or is this simply aggravatingly normal operation?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 86 "Weekender" Multivan rear seat operation Reply with quote

Dave,

This is not normal. I have an '87 weekender with same set-up.

Perhaps the seat back is moving when you raise the bottom or you're lifting the seat bottom too high. Try making sure it's "set" when you put it in the upright position before lifting the seat bottom.

I'm not there to see so perhaps have a good look at the latching/locking mechanisms and play around some more to see if there's something that looks out of whack.

The bright side is I have a tin-top with a different fold-out/in system and I like the weekender the best Cool
unplannedbbq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 "Weekender" Multivan rear seat operation Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Dave,

This is not normal. I have an '87 weekender with same set-up.

Perhaps the seat back is moving when you raise the bottom or you're lifting the seat bottom too high. Try making sure it's "set" when you put it in the upright position before lifting the seat bottom.

x2

My seat (same model) goes back down w/o needing to go into flat bed mode.

My rear seat is out of van & wrapped in plastic in my shop, so I can't shoot pics for you. Do you have any hardware protruding into the path of the springs/z-mechanism when tilted up? That could act as a "block" when folded but not be in the way when the bed is flat.

"However not an ideal swap unless it was all you had and you needed to escape some distopian 3rd world country." - Mongoswede
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X3 here.
Mine won't lock at all in the sitting position only in the flat bed mode.
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
1985 Mercedes 380sl
onslowb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the weekender and if I lift my seat to get access to the storage area it will go back down fine. I have found that I can fold the seat into the bed position and then push up the seat bottom so it becomes a seat back. I can then use it at drive-ins and such sitting so that I am looking out an open back hatch. The only thing I haven't figured out is if that position is part of the design of the seat or my mechanism is messed up and at any second it could collapse while I'm leaning against it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

I will look at it more closely and see what is going on.
Can't right now but in a few days I'll be able to.

All I know is that it's current operation is very frustrating!
Knowing that this is not proper operation, I'll strive to fix it.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!

I will look at it more closely and see what is going on.
Can't right now but in a few days I'll be able to.

All I know is that it's current operation is very frustrating!
Knowing that this is not proper operation, I'll strive to fix it.

Dave

My seat didn't lock when I first got my van. I didn't know that until I reinstalled the seat and it now locked when going back from a bed to a bench. "How useful" I thought to myself.

It's four quick bolts. I'd pull the bench out of the van and check the mechanism directly. Offhand I don't recall what the latch on the side looks like, but out of the van it'll save time diagnosing.

Good luck.

Brian
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At it's age msybe a bit of lube at all locations would help.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 86 "Weekender" Multivan rear seat operation Reply with quote

Bringing this back.

I've looked, I've poked, I've pondered and yes, I've sworn at it!

I'm a fairly clever guy, if it has been made and isn't electronic, generally I can fix it.

I for the life of me CANNOT figure out how this seat is designed to work, why it does not work as designed or how to fix it!

Can anyone show/describe to a dumb old fart how the seat latches work??

Thanks!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 "Weekender" Multivan rear seat operation Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Bringing this back.

I've looked, I've poked, I've pondered and yes, I've sworn at it!

I'm a fairly clever guy, if it has been made and isn't electronic, generally I can fix it.

I for the life of me CANNOT figure out how this seat is designed to work, why it does not work as designed or how to fix it!

Can anyone show/describe to a dumb old fart how the seat latches work??

So you need to see proper operation of the seat and how the latch works? Let me know.

I'm sure you've found this, but just in case -- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652911

FWIW, when mine magically worked, the rear of the seat was removed and the hinges properly oriented. Once I did that, viola!

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: