Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions on best anti virus software
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
I haven't used anti virus software on my pc's in years and have been almost trouble free ever since. I had more issues with them than I do w/o them and I ran my last laptop into the ground before any virus could take it out.

This!

A few years ago I did phone support for Dell (still have nightmares about it). Everybody used to ask me what I used. My answer was "firefox, web based email, and common sense". That remains true to this day, although I now use Chrome. I just run a pop-up blocker, and pay attention to what I click on.

It's tough sometimes when you are installing freeware because the virus links are very crafty, as well as the installers (hint, always choose custom, you'd be surprised what the regular installer throws in these days).

This strategy has been very successful for many years, even with my wife using the computer as much as myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
It's tough sometimes when you are installing freeware because the virus links are very crafty, as well as the installers (hint, always choose custom, you'd be surprised what the regular installer throws in these days).

I still swear by AVG but they make it hard to find the free version when it's time to update the software.

On the plus side, it's really nice to find people still willing to make this kind of software free. Even if they make you work a bit to find it!

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend Adblock Plus. Not an Anti Virus program, but it's use will help prevent getting infected in the first place.

http://www.adblockplus.org

"Blocks banners, pop-ups and video ads - even on Facebook and YouTube"

It's a plugin for IE (hope you're not using this), Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or Safari. Very small in size, and hardly uses any system resources.

It does block Ads here on TheSamba.com, so be sure to whitelist TheSamba.com to help support advertisers here that keep the site funded!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: