Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 40hp engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: 65 40hp engine Reply with quote

Hello.
New to the 40hp scene. What can be done to get more power out of them without making them less reliable? Also without burning a hole on the pocket.

Thank you,
Kory
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short list:

I think a Big-bore kit, 1385 ccm is best value for money. Claim a 25% increase in power.

Some other things:

Higher compression (with the Big bore kit, it will be increased), take about 3mm in the heads on a 1200, maybe 1-1.5 mm if big bore? Has to use an engine calculator to get the right values. Some light porting.

These german TDE-endrohre makes the engine give some power a few hundred rpms more (my own experience) because the flow better at the top end:

http://www.tde-kaefer-tuning.de/index.php?pageid=9

Some put on a 30Pict-1 carburetor.

1:1.25 rocker arms.

Use 1300 heads (have bigger valves, original with 30 Pict-1) and maybe twin carburators (but more work to get it right with 2). On the 1300 you have bigger chance to find twin carb sets, different intake on 1200 and 1300-1600.

How reliable it will be, depends on your (or others) skills.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a big bore (AA kit), square boss heads, 30pic1 carb, and dog house air on my 40 hp motor. i love the set up.
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, also a header would help too. Anyone put bigger valves in these heads?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did ithe big bore on my 65 with and 010 and 28PICT1 last year. Already had the square boss heads. Otherwise stock.

I just got done working on a couple 71 bugs with rebuilt 1600s and were prettty much stock. A place I like to test a car takes me up a pretty good hill for almost a mile from a standstill. After tuning and such, the 71 bugs were both just hitting 55 at the crest of the hill. My 65 bug is just a little over 60 at the same spot.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roadkingdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think my 40 hp motor with the big bore will outrun my 1776 motor?
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll have to pull a head and see what a square boss head is. I'm use to 1600cc style engines.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I read this thread because I am scouting for a vintage 40hp engine with racing stuff on it. I had this engine built below in this picture and sold it before I really go to test the total horse power. A 40hp totally hopped up but not an Okrasa engine. Just a Deitz duel carb kit with Solex 28's, hot cam, cyclone header, big bore kit, worked square boss heads, Porsche oil cooler, fram filter etc.

Any one out there have any old stuff out there for duel carbs? I should have kept this engine. Kicking myself. Tim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pic of a round boss head http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1650606
This is a pic of square boss heads http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1442149

Round and square refers to the shape of the boss that the rocker arm bolts onto. There are other differences in the heads as well. The intake port is different. The intake manifold studs are farther apart on the round boss heads. So the intake manifolds are different and cannot be interchanged. Also the recommended valve lash setting is different because of the boss stud location, if my memory serves correctly. Smile
'63 OG 117
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 40hp engine heads are only going to bolt up to their respective manifolds?
Should I look for 1500 sp heads and go with 83 pistons? Bottom end sounds good and tight. Need to set end play though. Built engines before not afraid to split the case. But will if I have to.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant access the link, but look for posts by Glutamodo on 40HP build ups. The big bores are available as a slip in, BUT you may need to do some clearancing of the case on #3. I had to do a little bit, but was able to do it without splitting the case. Some folks have to do a lot more.

The heads are identified by casting numbers and same deal - do some research because depending on your case, you may need to replace a couple of the head studs. I also bumped up the copression to about 8.1:1.

The thing that surprised me with mine was when dialing it in on the chassis dyno. I initially used and 009 with my rebuilt 28PICT1. I ended up with a main jet of around 130. The car ran real well but I was curious how the 010 would work, so I got one of Glenns. Made the car overall nicer - not night and day, but it was worth it. I have a vac only distributor coming to match the carb in a few weeks and am curious how it will work.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one out there have any old stuff out there for duel carbs? I should have kept this engine. Kicking myself. Tim

Your distributor cap looks HUGE for that 019 .
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:

Your distributor cap looks HUGE for that 019 .

Hay Thomas .i am the guy who bought your header off of you then you bought it back lol ? Here is a picture of my 40hp pepco super charged motor I am taking it to Jim's show this week end I will be there on Sunday here in ohio to show the motor and my vanguard bobsy formula vee I am thinking of selling the long block motor and putting the pepco on my 1600 motor you can see the 40 hp motor build on the vintage site under 40hp auto cross motor spencerfvee ps this is my vanguard 40 hp dual carb set up .

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for that spencerfvee. I have one of the speedwell pepcos I was thinking of throwing on a 36hp engine I have but was also thinking about making it fit my 40hp big bore with different pulleys.Thats why I was interested in your build.You do good work dude.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled a valve cover found round boss heads. Should I find 1300 heads and sell the 40 with intake heads?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thomas I did reply to your post but your post was gone if you go back to that forum you will see my reply and pictures it was a lot of work but worth it I did it to fit into my formula vee and allso so I could use it on a 1600 cc motor I herd that the speed well super chargers are better made than my pepco super charger for the 1950s I love the sound of a super charger and they look so cool on a vw motor .you can't hurt your pepco by putting it on a 40 hp motor as long as you keep all the 36 hp parts. Please post if you build a your 40 hp motor would love to see it thanks for the kind words you allso build super nice vintage motor .i am lucky I can use a shop that belongs to a good friend of mine . Take care spencerfvee.
thomas. wrote:
THanks for that spencerfvee. I have one of the speedwell pepcos I was thinking of throwing on a 36hp engine I have but was also thinking about making it fit my 40hp big bore with different pulleys.Thats why I was interested in your build.You do good work dude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I cant access the link, but look for posts by Glutamodo on 40HP build ups. The big bores are available as a slip in, BUT you may need to do some clearancing of the case on #3. I had to do a little bit, but was able to do it without splitting the case. Some folks have to do a lot more.

Here's that link I think you were thinking of:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129792&

-Andy
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend just modified the piston skirts to fit. Quite easy job. An air grinder can be used.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: