Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gerson fenders
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBK UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Gerson fenders Reply with quote

does anyone know if the gerson 56-57 oval fenders are the correct shape?

my concerns are they maybe made on the same mould as the split fenders so therefor are correct for only up to 55 fender shape and not correct for 56-57 fenders?
coolparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between the 50-52, 53-55 &56-57 fenders other than the location & size of the holes ?or Are you saying the shapes of the fenders vary between the year's ?
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference of 56-57 fender compared to the 53-55 fender should be the bullet turnsignals, if the car is a euro model they are identical
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:
The only difference of 56-57 fender compared to the 53-55 fender should be the bullet turnsignals, if the car is a euro model they are identical

not so, the shape of the flare where it meets gthe running board is different as is the pressing of the headlight buckets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark_85226
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel arch, size and shape are also different. Some say due to the use of 16" wheels on the split.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:

not so, the shape of the flare where it meets gthe running board is different as is the pressing of the headlight buckets.

I was always under the impression (still am) that all wire tube fenders offered the flared area leading to the running board as well as the lower profile on the fender lip area. I knew the fender lip profile changed when wire tube fenders were deleted (60?), but was not aware of a difference for 16" cars. My intention of was to compare factory 53-55 fenders to 56-57 fenders to each other, which it sounds like we still agree are identical on the outer shell. You are correct about minor variations of headlight bucket pressings.
DBK UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:
henry roberts wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:

I was always under the impression (still am) that all wire tube fenders offered the flared area leading to the running board as well as the lower profile on the fender lip area. I knew the fender lip profile changed when wire tube fenders were deleted (60?), but was not aware of a difference for 16" cars. My intention of was to compare factory 53-55 fenders to 56-57 fenders to each other, which it sounds like we still agree are identical on the outer shell. You are correct about minor variations of headlight bucket pressings.

53-55 fenders are wider,have more of a pronounced shape around the headlamp area,diffrent headlamp bucket,and the flare by the running board is larger/more pronounced.

56-57 are 100% different you can spot when a car has odd early/late oval fenders.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue heaven wrote:

53-55 fenders are wider,have more of a pronounced shape around the headlamp area,diffrent headlamp bucket,and the flare by the running board is larger/more pronounced.

56-57 are 100% different you can spot when a car has odd early/late oval fenders.

Interesting, great info. I will check some out and take a closer look. Is there a difference between 16" fenders and early oval fenders, besides the horn grille opening?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more info here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448426
Derosse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue heaven wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:
henry roberts wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:

I was thinking the shape of a late oval and early oval fender was exactly the same. the only difference i thaught there was was only the 2 dots pressing against the smooth headlight bucket? or am i wrong?

everyday is a learning day!
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derosse wrote:
blue heaven wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:
henry roberts wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:

I was thinking the shape of a late oval and early oval fender was exactly the same. the only difference i thaught there was was only the 2 dots pressing against the smooth headlight bucket? or am i wrong?

everyday is a learning day!

The original pics of blue fenders on a split window are shown in this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448426.

The original posting clearly states he is comparing late 50s fenders to original split fenders. I have measured several fenders in my possession since this thread was posted, split window and early and late oval...and all oval window front fenders are the same with the exception of headlight bucket internal pressings and bullet turnsignals if equipped.

I believe the difference between early and late oval fenders another poster referred to is simply his confusion because so many cars are mistakenly restored with aftermarket or post "wire-tube" fenders

All original oval window front fenders have the same pressing at the running board area and the lower wheel arch and wider look.
DBK UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:

All original oval window front fenders have the same pressing at the running board area and the lower wheel arch and wider look.

sorry,I disagree.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue heaven wrote:
Ultramoron wrote:

sorry,I disagree.

I appreciate that and am not trying to be disagreeable either, but I've never seen any evidence that points to an early and late oval fender on the outer skin...including the fender thread linked above.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: