Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Collect Railroad Memorbilia?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Anyone Collect Railroad Memorbilia? Reply with quote

I was out yesterday with my metal detector and found among other things this hat badge. Anyone collect this kind of stuff?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran

Last edited by shortride on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That badge is in amazing condition. What type of inexpensive detector would you recommend?
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrown45 wrote:
That badge is in amazing condition. What type of inexpensive detector would you recommend?

The badge is made of German Silver.

You can buy some very inexpensive metal detectors depending on how you want to use them. The more expensive ones such as White, Garrett, Minelab to mention a few sell metal detectors from $250 to $1800.00 and higher. I have never spent more than $300 for a good metal detector. The one that I currently have is a Garrett GTA 350 that I've had for about 15 years. I don't get out much any more and only do so when one of the friends says something about wanting to go find some artifacts on an old home place or Ghost Town. I have found jars of Silver and a few Gold coins over the years. Recently my home-town replaced the old sidewalks. While the old sidewalks were dug up waiting for new concrete the following week I found several Silver coins of various denomination.

A decent metal detector can be bought for around $225 to $350 for a novice that are capable of finding some pretty cool stuff.

wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I am wanting to get back into it after playing around with detectors back when I was in Jr. High.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a railroad badge. Hack sounds like horses to me. I think if you contact the Hobart, OK Historical Society they're going to tell you there was a stagecoach line or early horse drawn taxi/delivery service called Magill's.

Neat piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
I don't think it's a railroad badge. Hack sounds like horses to me. I think if you contact the Hobart, OK Historical Society they're going to tell you there was a stagecoach line or early horse drawn taxi/delivery service called Magill's.

Neat piece.

Both Ford Model T's & A's made what were referred to as depot hacks, so it's a possibility. Could have been a taxi/bus/railroad. But you're right could even be pony.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up when I Googled. Different towns than are on the badge, but you get the idea:

http://www.cherokee-strip-museum.org/NobleCounty/Richburg.htm

Quote:
Richburg [Oklahoma] was at the halfway point between Perry and Stillwater on a hack line. The hack made the twenty-five mile round trip between the two towns each day. It stopped at Richburg to pick up and leave mail, and also to change horses at the local livery stable. The hack was a three-seated wagon pulled by four horses. Passengers were welcomed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:

Neat piece.

I talked with the Hobart Oklahoma Historical Society since my original post. They said that this badge belonged to someone that delivered the mail and passengers from the local hotel to the railroad station. You're right, he was not employed by the railroad but he wore a railroad style hat with the badge. The Historical Society said that the Roosevelt & Mt. Park Line was a short line and there is only one person they had on record that drove a horse and buggy that delivered passengers and mail to the railroad station, hence the Magill's Hack Line. They asked if I was interested in donating the badge to the Historical Society there.

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
They asked if I was interested in donating the badge to the Historical Society there.

Super cool find! Are you going to? That would be a tough decision.

Most BNSF stuff up here in WA has become pretty valuable. It's not fun as a collecting hobby these days because everyone expects big money (I.e. scabs at yard sales fighting over anything with a RR stamp). I liquidated most of dads stuff last year. Just wasn't fun anymore.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
shortride wrote:
They asked if I was interested in donating the badge to the Historical Society there.

Super cool find! Are you going to? That would be a tough decision.

Most BNSF stuff up here in WA has become pretty valuable. It's not fun as a collecting hobby these days because everyone expects big money (I.e. scabs at yard sales fighting over anything with a RR stamp). I liquidated most of dads stuff last year. Just wasn't fun anymore.

I have no interest in railroad related memorabilia. If the guy at the Hobart Historical Society hadn't told me that it may be a one of a kind hat badge, I would have donated it. I doubt that it's worth much other than historical value. The historical society didn't offer me anything for it. I may hold onto it for a while to see how badly they may want it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: