Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modern Porsche Brakes
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Modern Porsche Brakes Reply with quote

Has anyone fitted modern Porsche brakes to a 356? I know that beetle and 356 are pretty close and loads of people have done 944 and 964 brakes on beetles so wondered if anyone had done it on my new car!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Modern Porsche Brakes Reply with quote

Just curious, why would you want to do that? Stock 356 brakes, if they're properly set up, are pretty nice as they are, even the drums.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly because my car will have 240BHP and you cant legally drive that in the UK with drum brakes, fair point though, the brakes are fine with the original engine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Modern Porsche Brakes Reply with quote

OK, more curiosity. Do tell, what the hell are you stuffing into this car? A Subaru engine? There's the well known 356 that had a 930 engine stuffed into it--apparently went like stink in a straight line. Corners, not so stink. I agree, 3X the original HP will most likely overwhelm the standard brakes.
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, keeping the orginal engine stored and putting a vw type 1 2276 FI, Turbo motor in it with Porsche cooling.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpetteng wrote:
Mainly because my car will have 240BHP and you cant legally drive that in the UK with drum brakes, fair point though, the brakes are fine with the original engine

A little off the topic but why is that?
What is their reasoning?

I always wonder why people (usually VW people here) think because their car has more horsepower now they need disc brakes. Unless you have a much faster top speed and are using it or the car is heavier now, it doesn't matter, right?

Of course nothing wrong with wanting disc brakes for safety or cosmetics or any other reason.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know their reasoning but I am pretty sure I will be driving the car faster with the bigger engine, hence the disc brakes
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more of a purist but can appreciate what others do with their cars, so let's try to answer his question.

I know of two reasons for bigger brakes with his engine conversion: 1) he said it was not legal to drive his car that way with drums in the UK and 2) with an engine like that he would want shorter stopping distances than perhaps even C discs can give him.

That said, I do not have a solution for him (perhaps someone out there does) but I have a suggestion. Contact an SCCA racer that drives an E or F production 356 and ask what they do for brakes. Those cars are every bit as quick and fast as what you will have.

I hope this helps.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dpetteng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, great advice. Any idea where I would find vintage racers of 356's?
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help. Go to www.porsche356registry.org and browse around, you'll find out who the racers are pretty quickly.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

unless your loaded with the green stuff I would stay away from anything Porsche. have you looked at aftermarket vw disc brakes they should be a near bolt on. try AIRKEWLD give them a call, get there catalog. i'm sure they can set you up with something nice people there
PS CAN I HAVE YOUR OLD DRUM BRAKES
Jay D.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did drum brakes become illegal in the UK? I am pretty sure there are quite a few vintage vehicles driving around UK with drum brakes.

I know asbestos linings are illegal.

Or are you referring to the rules of a racing sanctioning body?

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a few companies in Germany which have really nice TUV certified brake system for air-cooled VW / early Porsche. Aftermarket or modified Porsche brakes. Not cheap, but good stuff just cost big money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: