Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gravel Guards or Not?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Gravel Guards or Not? Reply with quote

Other than protect the car from gravel damage what is the general consensus on the looks of gravel guards on a '66 Sedan. I've been thing about the idea of putting them on my car, I just can't make up my mind. I will eventually be adding a set of narrow WW Coker's.

Do you like them or not?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran

Last edited by shortride on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of depends on how you set up the rest of the car. If it's a clean, plain, Cal-Look style, then leave them off. If it's a blinged rolling accessory advertisement, then pile it on!
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Sort of depends on how you set up the rest of the car. If it's a clean, plain, Cal-Look style, then leave them off. If it's a blinged rolling accessory advertisement, then pile it on!

I posted a picture and added that I will eventually be mounting a set of narrow WW Coker's. It's pretty much stock.

Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an accessory freak... But in my opinion I would leave it how it is.

Now the ride height... Wink

I'm kidding, its a good looking Beetle. Cool

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! I could go with or without on that car.
That white looks very clean so "without" would keep it "pure" emphasizing the lines of the car.
But also being white, the metal doesn't contrast so much like it would on a darker car, so it won't look too flashy even with them.
You will have a fine car either way.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
That white looks very clean so "without" would keep it "pure" emphasizing the lines of the car.
But also being white, the metal doesn't contrast so much like it would on a darker car, so it won't look too flashy even with them.

That was my exact thought. I didn't think the gravel guards would look as good as they would on a dark colored car. I think the new WW tires and correctly painted wheels would be enough.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Vote number 3 for this exact remark.

I'd say, maybe wait until that first rock chip! Great looking car sir.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

That was my exact thought. I didn't think the gravel guards would look as good as they would on a dark colored car. I think the new WW tires and correctly painted wheels would be enough.

X2 Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go with gravel guards it does do some protection. My one car which I found has them and the finger guard door handle and the window shades. Yes period correct.
Like a lot of us say its your car.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use gravel guards, go for the short rear clip-on style. Those tall ones don't look right on a '66. I also like switching to the narrow whitewalls on period painted rims. That's the first thing I did to my '66.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noah2burchell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
If you do go with gravel guards it does do some protection. My one car which I found has them and the finger guard door handle and the window shades. Yes period correct.
Like a lot of us say its your car.

My car has exactly that also. I think it looks good. If it were me i would go with the short ones on the back like Blue Baron said. But as stated it is your car so do as you feel. But maybe you will wait until the first ding.... Very Happy

Original flat window 1302 Super Beetle
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them on my '62 but only because they were there already. If I didn't have them I don't think I'd add them, because I really like the curve of the fenders and I think the guards sort of break up the curve.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
If you use gravel guards, go for the short rear clip-on style. Those tall ones don't look right on a '66. I also like switching to the narrow whitewalls on period painted rims. That's the first thing I did to my '66.

You cant go wrong with that look! Applause

I put them on the back of my 58, and my 61. I dig em....
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Short Ride, your question brings a smile and some nice memorys. I've posted elsewhere I bought my '66 VW sedan new in June that year while in San Diego. Again for the record I'm a 30 year retired navy guy. In that year I was an E-6 stationed at NAS Miramar. The '66 was my first ever new car and as explained earlier I still own it these many years later.
As a new car to me I wanted it as complete ( in my mind ) as possible. So when I ordered the car at Truman Motors back in the day in El Cajon, I had it delivered as follows (from the original bill of sale)
Sun Roof,white wall tires, mud flaps, gravel guards, bumper stiffners front and back, camber compensater, back up light, beauty rings, vent shades driver and passenger window, rear package tray with speakers, door edge guards, Saphire IV am/fm radio, and underseal. I also had the car fitted out with rubber bumper guards front and rear. Several days later I returned to the dealer and picked up a set of chromed "bear claws", which fit in the jack ports and are used to remove the wheel covers. I also had the car fitted for a wood empi steering wheel which is still with the car today. A year later when I was preparing to transfer to a new duty assignment, I got one of those little gas tanks that fits in the spare tire rim.
All this stuff added some bucks to the total price of the car, but it also added to my enjoyment of the car, the pride of ownership thing I guess. I even added at a later point some cocao floor mats and accessary council, that sat between the front seats and held soda's, loose change and so forth. It was all part of the fun of Volkswagen ownership, or life style at the time. To me then, and to me now the little car wasn't / isn't over dressed. It is what it is.
Certainly the gravel guards and bumber guards serve a utilitarian purpose, as well as look good. I would advise you to do what you think is right. What please's you, the owner. I'm not into chopin' and blockin' or lowering, and stuff of that nature. But stock items particularly those that originaly were available at the dealer to "fit out" your ride don't seem like a bad thing to me at all. Have fun with your car, put them guards on!! If you want to!! Very Happy
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mike wrote:
Hey Short Ride, your question brings a smile and some nice memorys. I've posted elsewhere I bought my '66 VW sedan new in June that year while in San Diego. Again for the record I'm a 30 year retired navy guy. In that year I was an E-6 stationed at NAS Miramar. The '66 was my first ever new car and as explained earlier I still own it these many years later.
As a new car to me I wanted it as complete ( in my mind ) as possible. So when I ordered the car at Truman Motors back in the day in El Cajon, I had it delivered as follows (from the original bill of sale)
Sun Roof,white wall tires, mud flaps, gravel guards, bumper stiffners front and back, camber compensater, back up light, beauty rings, vent shades driver and passenger window, rear package tray with speakers, door edge guards, Saphire IV am/fm radio, and underseal. I also had the car fitted out with rubber bumper guards front and rear. Several days later I returned to the dealer and picked up a set of chromed "bear claws", which fit in the jack ports and are used to remove the wheel covers. I also had the car fitted for a wood empi steering wheel which is still with the car today. A year later when I was preparing to transfer to a new duty assignment, I got one of those little gas tanks that fits in the spare tire rim.
All this stuff added some bucks to the total price of the car, but it also added to my enjoyment of the car, the pride of ownership thing I guess. I even added at a later point some cocao floor mats and accessary council, that sat between the front seats and held soda's, loose change and so forth. It was all part of the fun of Volkswagen ownership, or life style at the time. To me then, and to me now the little car wasn't / isn't over dressed. It is what it is.
Certainly the gravel guards and bumber guards serve a utilitarian purpose, as well as look good. I would advise you to do what you think is right. What please's you, the owner. I'm not into chopin' and blockin' or lowering, and stuff of that nature. But stock items particularly those that originaly were available at the dealer to "fit out" your ride don't seem like a bad thing to me at all. Have fun with your car, put them guards on!! If you want to!! Very Happy

Hey there Mr. Mike, I appreciate the experience you had with your '66 Beetle Sedan. I retired as an E-6 in 1985. The '66 my wife and I bought new was Blue with a sunroof and WW tires with beauty Rings and an AM/FM radio. In Germany it only cost $1495. We took out honeymoon in that car and really enjoyed it.

As far as the gravel guards go, I have talked myself out of them for the same reason someone commented about and that was that the gravel guards would not look as good on a light colored car. I had thought about have my current car striped and repainted Blue but I don't think I want to go to that extreme and the added cost. Besides, I really like the Pigalle Red interior. The only other color that would look good with that interior color would be Black.

I appreciated the service of the USS Missouri a couple of times in 1968.

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mike wrote:
So when I ordered the car at Truman Motors back in the day in El Cajon, I had it delivered as follows (from the original bill of sale)

Wow, that's quite an impressive list of accessories to have had installed back then. Today you see folks install every possible accessory they can find on their ride, but you having all those done back then in my opinion is quite rare, Folks back then just didn't spend that kind of money on VW's, and they were mostly bought to use as cheap transportation. You were a head of your time, Mr. Mike. Very cool. Cool
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mike wrote:

Grabbed this photo from your gallery. Any recent photos of the '66?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a mile long dirt and gravel lane. I put the short gravel guards on shortly after I built the car because I started to see some chips. Based on how my guards look after 23,000 miles, I am glad I put them on...... But, if I didnt drive it or have the issue of the lane, I wouldnt put them on. Lots of folks are big on adding a lot of accesories. I'm not....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraginWagen, thanks for posting that old photo. I'd forgotten about that. At 76 I'm something of a "geezer' on photos. I'll have to scout around and see what I have, perhaps shoot some new. The car still looks about the same, not quiet so shiny. The Am/FM radio is now riding in my '63 15 window.
I replaced the package shelve with one I made myself after a number of years went by.

I would ask looking at that photo does that car appear over accessorized?
Even with the stuff ordered it still looks like the standard sedan. In my view its just a nice car and I enjoyed it as such.

That photo by the way was shot the day after we picked up the car at Truman Motors in mid June of '66. We are in the parking lot of Disneyland at Anaheim. In that time frame 48 years ago it was two bucks to fill the tank today 8 gallons is nearly thirty bucks, wow! I might add accessories today because of their rarity can be pricey. Back in the day for example the wood steering wheel with tax and all was around thirty bucks. that gas tank that fit in the tire rim set me back perhaps fifteen bucks. When I see the prices paid for stuff today I'm amazed. I never expected to ever see anything like that.
The price of my bug delivered was $ 2,300. I financed the car through Bank of America with payments of $75.00 a month at the time. In 1966 the warranty was 6 months or 6 thousand miles! I've bought used cars with better terms! Very Happy
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the shorty guards. I say go with them.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: