Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I am totally giving up!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
again, the mixture screw adjusts the carb at idle and only at idle. I can adjust the my 56 idle jet to idle at 10 afr (rich) or 17 afr (lean) but it's only during idle. When you are driving you are drawing fuel from the idle jet or the main jet. Different circuit and different air fuel mixture depending on the jetting.

when my car is warm at idle it sits at 13.5 afr, when i'm driving that same idle jet is reading 15.5 afr at part throttle, but for the first few minutes, until the engine is warm that same idle jet bucks and sputters at 17 afr

you still didn't tell us what jetting you have in there, is it the same as what is listed in the book? You could be lean on the idle and rich on the main or vice versa

Okay I checked all and the numbers are correct on all you told me. took me a min to find the vent..then I saw it was venturi number. Lol I ordered 2 rebuild kits. So will have to wait to get them all. But should I replace all the jets with new ones since I am rebuilding the carbs?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you don't need to replace jets, what you have is supposed to be good for a 1600cc. but if your plugs are that dark you can try one size smaller on both idle and main. The popping could be caused by a vacuum leak on the manifold.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
no, you don't need to replace jets, what you have is supposed to be good for a 1600cc. but if your plugs are that dark you can try one size smaller on both idle and main. The popping could be caused by a vacuum leak on the manifold.

Okay well I got the ones I ordered. So Ill test them out. And we will see the outcome. Well and a vacuum leak I sprayed at the intakes and it didnt have a change or anything. So there isnt a leak. I mean it starts up great and idles but when I rev it it strts to pop. So Ill check it all out now as I am off and Ill let ya know later what happened.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can get some video/audio of what its doing that would help

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

Okay well cant get it started. I static timed it and everything but battery also has 12.7 volts. Shouldnt that be enough juice to start it or should I buy a new one? I had it for like a year and a half. and just ont charge up to 13 or 14 volts of how it should be. points are set right and i see a white spark but the timing lite is a dim lite so I dont know if it is actually getting enough juice. I also set the carbs to setup specs in butterfly gap and also idle mixture. and hooked the linkage up and all.
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay and check out thiss problem. It is at TDC and the dizzy drive shaft seems to me not to be at 60 degrees at all. It skips from 70 to like 40 or 45. Where is the 60 degree?

Here it is at 70*
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And to me this would look like the 40 degree mark

Looks like its off

Id have a video if cn get it started for you and on idle. Lol Sorry. but I am so frustrated this point. It cranks strong with the 13 volts. And putts here and there but wont idle or run no. So lost now.
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

Okay here is a video. Oh and yup got it started. Turned it back 1 tooth which looked like a 40 degree which actually was the 60 degree. It fired right up and stayed running. So here is the video. I reved it a bit to you can hear the popping.

http://youtu.be/vLdTAmiwpZQ
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you didn't even buy any smaller jets to try in it?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a blocked idle jet pfffft. or the engine just not warmed up yet. Mine will bark and fart like that for the first few minutes.
but if it does that while you are cruising at a consistent speed on the idle circuit and just randomly does it it is usually just a blocked idle jet passage.

Just one carb doing it?

does it go away when you get on the gas? AKA the mains.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
that sounds like a blocked idle jet pfffft. or the engine just not warmed up yet. Mine will bark and fart like that for the first few minutes.
but if it does that while you are cruising at a consistent speed on the idle circuit and just randomly does it it is usually just a blocked idle jet passage.

Just one carb doing it?

yeah it did it when I opened up a little. Should I try the smaller idle jets I got? When I get on the gas as you saw in the video it still did it. but not as bad as it did before. Before it was bad backfiring. but seems it dimmed out a lot. Ill try it again tomorrow morning before work and see how it goes wth the smaller jets.
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

Just one carb doing it?

Okay I changed the idle jets to the new ones I had before and cleaned the others out. Seems that the backfiring got worse. Its coming out the carbs and out the muffler. And black smoke pops out afterwards. So I will do this again tomorrow and see what happens. It was doing it through both carbs but not as bad. But now after changing the idle jets to the smaller ones it sounds horrible. So back to the drawing board tomorrow. Check for vacuum leaks.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

Just one carb doing it?

I remember way way back in the early 90's I had a set of Dellorto FRDs. I was constantly chasing them, trying to get them to run right. Shocked Eventually, I gave up, and put a set of Webers on it (from CB Performance), and never had that issue again. I don't know if my FRDs were worn out, or jetted wrong, or if it was just a case of chasing the different weather patterns trying to get them to work right, but it was very frustrating. Evil or Very Mad
All I do know, is that I like Solex carbs, and real Weber ICTs, if you're going to run single throat carbs. Those carbs just seem better suited for our cars. Surprised

Some here have had good luck running the chinese weber copies, but I've only seemed to have problems with them, mainly due to incorrect jetting, and no balance tube. Well that and the crappy linkage set up they come with. Shocked I think I've set up 3 sets of them, only to have to re-jet them, and add a balance tube to them. With the CB kits I've installed, it's always been plug and play. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
cdgvw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like one carb may not be getting any or enough accelleration enrichment. Leave the engine OFF. Look down each carb and throttle it. Are you getting an equal amount of fuel squirt in both carbs? Try to only throttle it a couple times so you don't flood the engine with excess fuel.

How are you synching the carbs? Do you have a synchrometer or air flow meter?

Chris
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I finally got them done and it runs great. Once warmed up a bit it got rid of the hiccups.So awesome! Thanks all.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, but you don't tell us What actually was the problem? Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
imz8478
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah cause its been a while. What it was is the tooth on the dizzy drive. And the weird thing is I dont remember messing with it when I had it set the first time. When I say saying it was 70 degrees it was actually 60. But I kept switching it back and trying it and then switching it again. i just hate how you have to eyeball it and see if its on or not. But shims or washers are still there as I carefully switched it. And then got them synced and runs great. Sounds sweet. And Its not too rich and lean. Its pretty good in the middle. Purrrrs nicely. My first type 3 as I owned bugs in the past. So this is all new but getting knowledge of them thanks to all of you guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: