Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So my 64 'N' Notch got rear ended. What to do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with someone working on it that car could be back in your hands oct/nov at the latest. sooner depending on the number of folks laying hands on it. coming from working in a hot rod shop where most work is being paid for out of pocket and usually we are working to their wallet. i'm sure AKK is the same way if not more so since at the shop our typical customer was spending $50-200k on a build or more. most people can't take 2 techs working on a car @ $65hr each(labor total of $5200 a week) plus parts totals to keep 2 guys busy on one project a full 40hrs. if they are going to have your car til next spring thats aloting about 2-4hrs total a week billing no use in that unless they are waiting on payment. most shops have a policy of without X amount of minimum billable hours in X number of weeks the priject needs to be picked up or storage fees start. 1 tech could have that car DONE in 30-60 days.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately since this wasn't a scheduled accident i didn't have time scheduled with them and it will be a couple of months before they can get to it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still haven't hired a Lawyer to get you the Best settlement.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might get the best settlement... but then they are gonna take a 3rd of it... so not sure that would be better. If it comes to that I will.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
VWGirl wrote:
Considering I had classic car insurance and the guy showed up at my house with two other vws in the driveway (one of which I drove ofd in while he took his time doing whateber her was doing) and more in the backyard that he could see and asked about... yeah, probably not going to fly... we discussed rental cars early on and I said I didnt need one, but said I did want to make a claim for loss of use of my car.
How can you prove loss of use? how do ou put a price on a car that you have no proof it makes you money. I said I was not going to chime in but, why do people lag so much when it come to their personal issues. I would have not gone to work until I had my medical issues resolved and my car at the bodyshop. That is loss of use (income) due to the Traffic Collision you were not guilty of.

First, I was pretty shaken up at the accident. Idk if I was in shock or what. I was literally shaking. Probably the only reason I didnt kill the guy for hitting my car.

Second, I didnt feel any pain initially. I thpught I was fine. Ive been in accidents before and been fine. It really didnt see that bad.

I took the car to work and left it there so they could come look at the car... apparently the consensus is that I should have towed it home, or now arranged for transport to alabama. Had I done all of that then I definitely wouldnt have had a chance to go to the doctor.

When I started to feel pain a few hours later I did call the chiro. She couldnt see me the same day, so saw me first thing the next morning.

How can I claim loss of use? Well I cant use it can I? Some states require the insurance company pay out for rental expenses whether you get a rental or not. Even if it isnt required it doesnt mean they wont pay it.

I waited a LONG time to buy that car. I take it to car shows (sso far its missed 3) and I cant do that now. Its not even in the same time zone as I am. I have a lot of money tied up in a car that I cannot enjoy. Why should I not be paid for loss of use? It isnt like the car is going to be gone a couple of months... even best case scenario I would be looking at getting it sometime between valentines day and easter... thats 6 to 9 months out! Likely it will be gone for longer than that. There was nothing wrong witb the car. I was enjoying my purchase and now I cant. Why shouldnt I be compensated for that?

I am NOT talking about your pain and suffering. I am talking about your claim of LOSS OF USE. I doubt a jury of your peers nor any attorney would compensate you because you missed a VW show. maybe something like the Tillammook busses that are used for advertising and were stolen may or may not claim Loss of Use. It will be interesting to see how your case unfolds. I truly believe you need to seek legal counsel, Effective immediately. I can't believe it has been two weeks since you first posted and you haven't got a decent answer from YOUR insurance company or the other insurance for any of your complaints.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I can't believe it has been two weeks since you first posted and you haven't got a decent answer from YOUR insurance company or the other insurance for any of your complaints.
You must not have followed any of her threads before.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
I can't believe it has been two weeks since you first posted and you haven't got a decent answer from YOUR insurance company or the other insurance for any of your complaints.

I stay away from melodramas, but this one caught my eye as it happened about the same time I was looking into upgrading my insurance coverage.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

I posted here cause I thought someone may have gone through this and may have had some suggestions. As always some of the suggestions are good and some are bad. Obviously since the suggestions from different people contradict each other I cannot follow them all. I also dont post eveeything that is going on in this thread.

Im sorry if I should have picked a body shop that would have focused on the apeed of getting it done. I went to a bodyshop I trusted instead. I dont need the issue of bad bodywork to add to this whole situation. It will get done when it gets done and that will be when it is done right. I am not going to tell them to stop working on everything else theyve got just to accommodate my car that wasnt even scheduled to be there. Even regular bodyshops have schedules and make appointments. . I dont want to rush it, I just want it to be done right
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't want to listen to answers to asked questions. damages to the car and self.

doesn't want to listen to those that work in the industry on damage severity, time involved...

i think you should really sit down and re-read whole thread YOU started. sorry but you seem to be missing alot.

your accident may not have been "scheduled" but they've already touched your car at least once. stuff rolls into the shop all the time unscheduled. as said most of the "scheduled" stuff is working on an owners budget and i'll tell you straight up MOST stuff in any kind of restoration or custom shop typically sees an average of 10-20hrs a week as thats usually what most folks can afford to pay. think about it a typical good paying job in this country is under 50k a year. that means most may be taking home $800wk after taxes on a good day. after you pay the day to day bills if you've got half of that left you lucky so lets call ya lucky and say $400. that buys you about 6hrs of labor and a few parts or maybe an 8hr day at the most. maybe i see through the bullshit better than most of maybe its just that i've been there and know how it really works. but even at 2 months wait and 2 months of on it(remember they aren't waiting on your pocket the bill is paid) time your car would be back in your hands in November.

see here's another little thing i've done lots of work on stuff that SAT in other shops with the bill PAID for months or YEARS. so you've got both sides of the coin.

with that i think i'm out on this one now....
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
doesn't want to listen to answers to asked questions. damages to the car and self.

doesn't want to listen to those that work in the industry on damage severity, time involved...

i think you should really sit down and re-read whole thread YOU started. sorry but you seem to be missing alot.

your accident may not have been "scheduled" but they've already touched your car at least once. stuff rolls into the shop all the time unscheduled. as said most of the "scheduled" stuff is working on an owners budget and i'll tell you straight up MOST stuff in any kind of restoration or custom shop typically sees an average of 10-20hrs a week as thats usually what most folks can afford to pay. think about it a typical good paying job in this country is under 50k a year. that means most may be taking home $800wk after taxes on a good day. after you pay the day to day bills if you've got half of that left you lucky so lets call ya lucky and say $400. that buys you about 6hrs of labor and a few parts or maybe an 8hr day at the most. maybe i see through the bullshit better than most of maybe its just that i've been there and know how it really works. but even at 2 months wait and 2 months of on it(remember they aren't waiting on your pocket the bill is paid) time your car would be back in your hands in November.

see here's another little thing i've done lots of work on stuff that SAT in other shops with the bill PAID for months or YEARS. so you've got both sides of the coin.

with that i think i'm out on this one now....

I am sorry if my actions are not what YOU would do. Just because I dont post a step by step of my day here doesnt mean that I am not doing anything.

Was the car damaged more than I thought it was? Slightly. Was it damaged as much as you guys made it out to be? No, not really.

Guess I havent been around the industry long enough to know whats up... ive had cars in restoration and body shops. My bus was paid for. It took 6 weeks. It looks like crap. My beetle was an insurance job, they had it two months, it still wasnt right. I grew up spending a lot of time in a restoration shop... dont think i ever saw a car leave in two months. We dont have a bodyshop, but I see wrecked cars or previously repaired cars come in all the time. I can generally pick out the cars that have been painted, and these are NEW cars. Is it possible for them to do it, maybe. You cannot rush perfection and I am not going to try.

As I said, I appreciate the advice given. Everyone has their own opinion on how to do things. Like I said before, I cannot follow everyones advice as I would be spinning in circles from all the directions you guys are going.

They havent come back with an estimate yet so I havent discussed anything with the insurance company yet as far as value and damages on the car. Perhaps I should get a lawyer as suggested on this... then yeah it is going to take a long time and maybe they will get started on it on the insurance companies dime sometime next year. These things dont just happen overnight. I have been down these roads before. Pretty much all of whats been talked about I have gone through before (except a stated value car, or a car not sold in this country)... but every situation is different so I figured it would be worth getting outside input.

I am glad that some people appreciate this subject and are able to walk away from it knowing they have their own actions to take to ensure the safety of their car.

I will update this when there is something to update. I am not jumping the gun and posting things here that shouldnt be posted. The people that need to know and the people that have asked and ive had personal conversations with know what is going on and that is how it will be until things are finalized. Im sorry, but that is how it should be.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
I respectfully suggest that you put down the keyboard and pick up the phone and find a lawyer that specializes in this area; you're up against professionals here. You will not win. The insurance companies will roll you and it will be so smooth you'll thank them for it.

I was in a similar situation last summer when I got rear-ended in my M3; in fact the damage looked very similar. I immediately started getting the run around: two weeks to just get an adjuster to come out and look at the car; one day they say they'll repair it - they next they say they'll total it. Then they decide to fix it. I contacted an attorney I know; a single letter from his law firm put paid to all the bullshit. Within a week I had the cold hard cash in my hands and the car was on it's way to a Ukrainian chop shop I mean insurance salvage yard. (FWIW, it's back on the road with a salvage title)

These guys mean well, and they're giving you good advice that comes from combined decades of experience, but at the end of the day, when it comes down to you vs the insurance company, it's not going to matter one whit what some guys on the internet have to say.

I was suggesting hiring a lawyer 'by the hour' like Thom did, not signing anything giving them 1/3 of the settlement! Call a couple lawyers & get the Facts from them this coming week. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
notchback wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

I posted here cause I thought someone may have gone through this and may have had some suggestions. As always some of the suggestions are good and some are bad. Obviously since the suggestions from different people contradict each other I cannot follow them all. I also dont post eveeything that is going on in this thread.

Im sorry if I should have picked a body shop that would have focused on the apeed of getting it done. I went to a bodyshop I trusted instead. I dont need the issue of bad bodywork to add to this whole situation. It will get done when it gets done and that will be when it is done right. I am not going to tell them to stop working on everything else theyve got just to accommodate my car that wasnt even scheduled to be there. Even regular bodyshops have schedules and make appointments. . I dont want to rush it, I just want it to be done right

I am surprised that a grown woman, maybe college graduate or with more education than me ( ESL, high school grad) cannot handle a situation like this. Where is your common sense? None of us are experts nor claim to be, but if you had the sense on getting insurance, why do you think it is required? what do you normally do when incidents happen? how do you react to adversity? maybe it is that thing people call their "comfort zone" that I have never experienced nor heard of until I came to the US that makes you think the world is pink.

Had I been involved in this T/C, I would have;
1. call the police and obtained an incident report.
2. called my insurance to notify them of the T/C
3. had my car immediately towed to the garage of my choice
4. gone to the doctor get checked out
5. would have followed up on the repair estimate using comps
6. filed a claim
7. would have set up a treatment plan with my doctor
8. Would have had at least one estimate for the repair or my car for the other driver's ins
9. talked to an attorney

BTW this is day 1.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
VWGirl wrote:
notchback wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

I am surprised that a grown woman, maybe college graduate or with more education than me ( ESL, high school grad) cannot handle a situation like this. Where is your common sense? None of us are experts nor claim to be, but if you had the sense on getting insurance, why do you think it is required? what do you normally do when incidents happen? how do you react to adversity? maybe it is that thing people call their "comfort zone" that I have never experienced nor heard of until I came to the US that makes you think the world is pink.

6. filed a claim
8. Would have had at least one estimate for the repair or my car for the other driver's ins
9. talked to an attorney

BTW this is day 1.

Okay, now I am really curious... how would you manage to get a copy of the police report on day one? Bribe the police officer? You have to wait a minimum of 2 days, and that is business days, before you can even attempt to get a copy of the report. I guess you are right, I am doing something wrong as I havent found a way to beat the system and get a copy of police reports before they are available... and unfortunatley the insurance company doesnt move that quickly. At least not in atlanta they dont. His insurance company wouldnt do anything without a police report... honestly I dont think mine really would have either... but either way getting an adjuster out there the same day would have been tricky. Also getting the car shipped 3.5 hours away on the same day would have been tricky. Maybe you have connections that I dont, but I am not equipped to haul a car nor do I have someone on call to do so, nor do I have the money to just have a rather expensive tow bill sit around unpaid for who knows how long.

I appreciate the offering of help, but I really dont see how you expect everyone to drop what they are doing to cater to my needs. Could I have called the chiro earlier that day? Sure... but I felt fine and wasnt going to call someone randomly if I was okay.

I cannot imagine what you would think of my coworker who got tboned the week before my accident, or my friend who got hit in his beetle the week after... their processes are even slower than mine!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

6. filed a claim
9. talked to an attorney

BTW this is day 1.

My dad had to do all of that on day 2, as he was "T" boned, and sent to the hospital with a broken shoulder. Him and my cousin went to the tow yard on day 3 to collect his belongings, as the vehicle was "wrote off". He spent the next 2 months in and out of the doctors office (weekly trips), then another 5 months or more of rehab getting the shoulder to work properly without any pain. Fortunately for him, the rehab was during the winter months (where he stayed in Brownsville), so it wasn't like he had to deal with cold weather while healing up. Very Happy

I'm really surprised that VW Girl hasn't done some or most of this already, as the longer you wait, the less the insurance companies care about making you "whole" again. Rolling Eyes Their main job, is to collect money, avoid paying any out, and if they have to pay out, keep the pay out as small as possible. That's why you need legal representation, to get what's owed to you.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

6. filed a claim
9. talked to an attorney

BTW this is day 1.

My dad had to do all of that on day 2, as he was "T" boned, and sent to the hospital with a broken shoulder. Him and my cousin went to the tow yard on day 3 to collect his belongings, as the vehicle was "wrote off". He spent the next 2 months in and out of the doctors office (weekly trips), then another 5 months or more of rehab getting the shoulder to work properly without any pain. Fortunately for him, the rehab was during the winter months (where he stayed in Brownsville), so it wasn't like he had to deal with cold weather while healing up. Very Happy

I'm really surprised that VW Girl hasn't done some or most of this already, as the longer you wait, the less the insurance companies care about making you "whole" again. Rolling Eyes Their main job, is to collect money, avoid paying any out, and if they have to pay out, keep the pay out as small as possible. That's why you need legal representation, to get what's owed to you.

Everything is done aside from talking to an attorney regarding the car itself. I dont even have an estimate on that yet so I really dont see the point in contacting an attoney and saying hey I got in an accident, I dont know what its going to coat to fix my car, so the insurance co hasnt offered me anything, but can you get them to hurry up and cut me a check?

That really isnt going to make anything go any faster and im really not about to settle anything until I have an estimate on the car. Getting an estimate also isnt going to speed up the process of them getting started on my car. Guess I am not as much in a hurry to have cash sitting in my bank account. I just want my car fixed and I want it fixed correctly. I am fortunate that I knew of this shop to take it to in the first place else I would probably still be shop shopping.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:

Everything is done aside from talking to an attorney regarding the car itself. I dont even have an estimate on that yet so I really dont see the point in contacting an attoney and saying hey I got in an accident, I dont know what its going to coat to fix my car, so the insurance co hasnt offered me anything, but can you get them to hurry up and cut me a check?

That really isnt going to make anything go any faster and im really not about to settle anything until I have an estimate on the car. Getting an estimate also isnt going to speed up the process of them getting started on my car. Guess I am not as much in a hurry to have cash sitting in my bank account. I just want my car fixed and I want it fixed correctly. I am fortunate that I knew of this shop to take it to in the first place else I would probably still be shop shopping.

Then stop whining about it. If all you have left is an estimate, and talking to a lawyer, then other than having a lawyer on retainer, it's out of your hands. Rolling Eyes There's nothing more you can do.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
VWGirl wrote:

Then stop whining about it. If all you have left is an estimate, and talking to a lawyer, then other than having a lawyer on retainer, it's out of your hands. Rolling Eyes There's nothing more you can do.

i am glad you get it. That is my point exactly! i only updated because i had something to update, and since then have just been told that i have done everything wrong over the past 3 weeks. I am sure no matter what happens in the end that i will be told that i did everything wrong, and whatever i choose to do with the car will be wrong too. Rolling Eyes
NavyGeneral Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some experiences I have encountered-not any usfeful advice. My 67 bug was rear ended twice, crawled up on once, rear fender nicked by motorcycle, sideswiped by a British Ford V8, and numerous other more minor occurences. The last two were in England in mid 1960's. The rear end jobs, required some major bodywork, rear apron etc. First thing the insurance company guy said to me, give me your title, its totaled, so we went round and round, I finally bought the car back from the insurance company and had the repairs done mywelf-this happend twice. I still have it. My 72 Square was rear/side ended twice also, made out by having the repairs done, I provided the nos rear apron both times. still have it also. Someone commented that the right fender buckle way forward looked like it needed some frame work-from my 18 months in body work technical class (not as a profession.I'd be waaay to slow for the bondo/paint routine) it looks that way to me also. Maybe I need to visit the Hazel Green folks, they're only about 50 miles from me-see what they do.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyGeneral wrote:
Just some experiences I have encountered-not any usfeful advice. My 67 bug was rear ended twice, crawled up on once, rear fender nicked by motorcycle, sideswiped by a British Ford V8, and numerous other more minor occurences. The last two were in England in mid 1960's. The rear end jobs, required some major bodywork, rear apron etc. First thing the insurance company guy said to me, give me your title, its totaled, so we went round and round, I finally bought the car back from the insurance company and had the repairs done mywelf-this happend twice. I still have it. My 72 Square was rear/side ended twice also, made out by having the repairs done, I provided the nos rear apron both times. still have it also. Someone commented that the right fender buckle way forward looked like it needed some frame work-from my 18 months in body work technical class (not as a profession.I'd be waaay to slow for the bondo/paint routine) it looks that way to me also. Maybe I need to visit the Hazel Green folks, they're only about 50 miles from me-see what they do.

it will be going to a frame shop. You should go stop by and see what they do. They actually have an open house/show in october. This will be the next time I see my car (and claim the contents of the trunk).

you bug was "crawled up on"?
NavyGeneral Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawl remark, yes, mating games gone wrong, big American tank, older gentleman, while wife was stopped at a red light, decided he wasn't close enough, couldn't see the VW over his long nosed vehicle, only had to replace the engine lid. Interestingly my Daughter had a jeep crawl up on her 67's backside, she drove it to Tennessee, where I replaced the engine lid. All the numerous rear ends, crawlings, etc with exception of noted capers in England and one in Florida happend in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: