Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So my 64 'N' Notch got rear ended. What to do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:

He told me i should make a claim through my insurance as the value of the damage is a lot and would be quicker to go through my insurance since i have stated value. I told him my stated value has nothing to do with anything

You are wrong and he is right.

Quote:
Insurance guy told me i cant sue the guy cause he has insurance... well thats news to me that i cant sue him

You would be suing his insurance company, not him.

Quote:

Seems his tune hasnt changed since day one when he told me to make the claim on my insurance...

And why would it? That's the right answer.

Quote:
which again, the guy hit me before i could increase my value....

This is a tough break for you, but irrelevant otherwise.
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some experience with non-titled Georgia cars and did a lot of reading about how Georgia handles these cars when buying one and titling it in my state. Hopefully the following helps you in some way.

VWGirl wrote:
the only caveat here as I stated in the beginning is that this is a non-titled car and NO ONE, insurance, tag office, attorney, etc has been able to answer for me how that will work. I don't have a title ergo cannot be issued a title. We generally don't have titles on vehicles older than 1985 in georgia.

No one readily knows the answer because it doesn't come up as much as you would think. Go to the Georgia DMV and apply for a title. The regulations state that a title is not required for a pre 1986 Georgia vehicle. What I found when reading up on all of this is that you can title a 1963-1985 car in the state of Georgia. However the common practice was that if you didn't need to do something, you didn't do it because it required you to spend time and money on something that didn't apply/matter to you. Georgia only refuses to title cars made in 1962 and earlier. I haven't found anything that says they can turn you away because you are trying to title the car for the first time 50 years later.

From the Georgia DDS Rules and Regulations (searchable on their website):

Quote:
375-2-12-.01 First Certificate of Title
(a) An application for the first certificate of title for a new vehicle must be accompanied by a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin.
(b) An application for the first certificate of title for a new vehicle purchased from a dealer or for any other vehicle that has not previously been titled in the State of Georgia must include the full legal name, driver’s license or state issued identification card number, street address, and mailing address of the owner.

Authority: O.C.G.A. § 40-3-21
Filed Date: 12/18/2003
Effective Date: 1/7/2004

The Georgia DMV surely has a customer help line you can call and find out what documents you need to produce to get the car titled as I'm sure you need more than just a name and address.

Another interesting bit from the same chapter:
Quote:
375-2-12-.06 Application for a Certificate of Title of a Vehicle Last Previously Registered in a Non-Title State or Country. Amended.
An application for a certificate of title for a vehicle previously registered in a non-title state or country must be accompanied by a valid certificate of registration and a Certification of Inspection by a Duly Constituted City, County or State Law Enforcement Officer, certified in the State of Georgia, on Form T-22B. Said Form T-22 B may be completed by a duly constituted city, county or state law enforcement officer in the State of Georgia, the county tag agent in which the application for a certificate of title is submitted, or by an employee of said county tag agent upon his or her express authority.

Authority: O.C.G.A. §40-3-2(c)(2).
Filed Date: 4/21/2004
Effective Date: 5/11/2004

I tend to think that one refers to cars from other states that weren't required to be titled but it may apply to yours as well.

However, you don't need to have a title for your car to be totaled in the state of Georgia. If you look at form T-56 on the Georgia Dept. of Revenue website (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/TitleSection/fo...rm_T56.pdf) you'll see how the payment of a total loss claim works. Look specifically at the list of things that you must provide your insurance company before receiving payment for your total loss (second section of requirements). The first bullet point in that list states "The vehicle's original valid title, when available*". The asterisk takes you to a footnote that says if you car is more than 10 years old, they don't need the title just the other items in that list. Note that part of the process involves you applying for a salvage title.

It gets more interesting when you read about the requirements for rebuilding the car with a salvage title. Read through that section carefully if you intend to buy the car back and rebuild (assuming the car is totaled). They have some specific rules laid out there.

The info you need is out there and can be found by searching the relevant sites. If the people you are asking don't know these answers to questions like this or can't find them out, try someone else (i.e. ask for a supervisor, try a different attorney, etc).

Good luck, and again I hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastyOrange wrote:
I have some experience with non-titled Georgia cars and did a lot of reading about how Georgia handles these cars when buying one and titling it in my state. Hopefully the following helps you in some way.

VWGirl wrote:
the only caveat here as I stated in the beginning is that this is a non-titled car and NO ONE, insurance, tag office, attorney, etc has been able to answer for me how that will work. I don't have a title ergo cannot be issued a title. We generally don't have titles on vehicles older than 1985 in georgia.

No one readily knows the answer because it doesn't come up as much as you would think. Go to the Georgia DMV and apply for a title. The regulations state that a title is not required for a pre 1986 Georgia vehicle. What I found when reading up on all of this is that you can title a 1963-1985 car in the state of Georgia. However the common practice was that if you didn't need to do something, you didn't do it because it required you to spend time and money on something that didn't apply/matter to you. Georgia only refuses to title cars made in 1962 and earlier. I haven't found anything that says they can turn you away because you are trying to title the car for the first time 50 years later.

Quote:
(a) An application for the first certificate of title for a new vehicle must be accompanied by a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin.
(b) An application for the first certificate of title for a new vehicle purchased from a dealer or for any other vehicle that has not previously been titled in the State of Georgia must include the full legal name, driver’s license or state issued identification card number, street address, and mailing address of the owner.

The Georgia DMV surely has a customer help line you can call and find out what documents you need to produce to get the car titled as I'm sure you need more than just a name and address.

Quote:
375-2-12-.06 Application for a Certificate of Title of a Vehicle Last Previously Registered in a Non-Title State or Country. Amended.
An application for a certificate of title for a vehicle previously registered in a non-title state or country must be accompanied by a valid certificate of registration and a Certification of Inspection by a Duly Constituted City, County or State Law Enforcement Officer, certified in the State of Georgia, on Form T-22B. Said Form T-22 B may be completed by a duly constituted city, county or state law enforcement officer in the State of Georgia, the county tag agent in which the application for a certificate of title is submitted, or by an employee of said county tag agent upon his or her express authority.

I tend to think that one refers to cars from other states that weren't required to be titled but it may apply to yours as well.

However, you don't need to have a title for your car to be totaled in the state of Georgia. If you look at form T-56 on the Georgia Dept. of Revenue website (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/TitleSection/fo...rm_T56.pdf) you'll see how the payment of a total loss claim works. Look specifically at the list of things that you must provide your insurance company before receiving payment for your total loss (second section of requirements). The first bullet point in that list states "The vehicle's original valid title, when available*". The asterisk takes you to a footnote that says if you car is more than 10 years old, they don't need the title just the other items in that list. Note that part of the process involves you applying for a salvage title.

It gets more interesting when you read about the requirements for rebuilding the car with a salvage title. Read through that section carefully if you intend to buy the car back and rebuild (assuming the car is totaled). They have some specific rules laid out there.

The info you need is out there and can be found by searching the relevant sites. If the people you are asking don't know these answers to questions like this or can't find them out, try someone else (i.e. ask for a supervisor, try a different attorney, etc).

you mean that this information is free and available to anyone willing to go and look for it?

that's amazing!

you would have thought that there were no known statutes and that every time she called, they changed the rules on her....

will wonders never cease...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out of popcorn and the plot of this drama is more mixed up than a Woody Allen film.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
I'm out of popcorn and the plot of this drama is more mixed up than a Woody Allen film.
Popcorn Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
We are just responding to your post. If you have it all figured out, please show us the check and the finished car!

That's the whole thing in a nutshell.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
Excuse me VWGirl, but you have no title for vehicles older than 1985? A bunch of questions come to mind & I do not want to hijack your post, but how do you prove ownership?

Same way as in Alabama: with a bill of sale. Here, vehicles before 1975 were not titled, so when my 66 Bug was totaled last year the insurance company got the bill of sale from when I purchased the car from the previous owner.
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
you mean that this information is free and available to anyone willing to go and look for it?

that's amazing!

you would have thought that there were no known statutes and that every time she called, they changed the rules on her....

The beautiful part is, I found all of that info in less than 20 minutes using sources that are available after regular business hours to anyone who can access the internet. It took longer to organize it into that post than it did to locate the info.

Note: that comment isn't meant to be "snarky" but rather a statement of fact (since it's hard to judge the tone of posts on here).
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, what difference does it make if she has a title or not? if her state does not require one. I think, procrastination and wishful thinking have taken over the OP.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
If I may, what difference does it make if she has a title or not? if her state does not require one?

None.
FastyOrange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
If I may, what difference does it make if she has a title or not? if her state does not require one. I think, procrastination and wishful thinking have taken over the OP.

None whatsoever. Just sharing some info on the subject and shedding some light on what will happen if it is totaled.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should the other insurance company value your car anymore than you did. If you didn't increase your stated value, tough luck to you. They can just say "you valued it at this, so this is what we'll give you". Your "intentions" to increase the valuation are just that, intentions. If you don't know what those are worth, google it. Rolling Eyes

FU#3
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastyOrange wrote:

VWGirl wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I have spent more time in the dmv than the average person, and honestly most of these questions arose and were somewhat answered before all of this happened.... which is in part why i question it so much.

I have a title on a couple of my cars... just not most as they aren't required. In fact, i was told by the dmv tjat if a car was previously registered as a non titled car, that they would not title it even if i produced the title. This happened to my with my 82 rabbit truck. I have the title, but the person between me and the one who last titled it did it as just bill of sale, so now it has to be a non titled car.... at least according to the dmv back in june of this year.

There are other reasons that the salvage title question came up.... but i will post about that once i know which way we are going with this. The requirements for salvage title are pretty clear though, and i have reviewed all the documentation on that many times. Key to salvage title being.... you have to have a title for the car, and i do not.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
FastyOrange wrote:

VWGirl wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

that's amazing!

Youd think from your post that you hadnt bothered to read any of my posts.... im quite further along than the information he has posted here.... and his infomation is lacking a bit of the information that i know, but thanks for your input. At least he is trying to be helpful.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

Because in order to have a salvage title you have to have had a title in the first place.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
At least he is trying to be helpful.

helpful - that's almost funny...

most of the input in this thread, aside from your own, has been on the side of 'helpful'...

even mine, at the beginning...

but since this has become more of a sideshow than an instructional thread and you've proven not to want, nor accepting of, help, why would I post anything even remotely helpful?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
VWGirl wrote:

most of the input in this thread, aside from your own, has been on the side of 'helpful'...

but since this has become more of a sideshow than an instructional thread and you've proven not to want, nor accepting of, help, why would I post anything even remotely helpful?

You seem to disagree with facts. That isnt helpful. I dont even know what to think of that. Facts are facts.

The lawyer i spoke to in july, as well as my insurance company, as well as the at faults insurance company seem to all be on the same page as me... but lets just go back to saying i dont listen and i should tell my insurance company about this and contact a lawyer and go see a doctor... nevermind the fact that the medical is settled....

This thread has become less than helpful for anyone. It seems when i update it as requested that i am just sent back to square one advice that disregards all thats been done.

I will let you all know when this is settled with the insurance and hope that if anyone ever runs into anything similar that they can get past all this bickering about how i dont listen and domt take suggestions to do things that i have already done.... obviously im just sitting here doing nothing and waiting for everything to just fix itself.
Tram
Samba Socialist

Location: Still Feelin' the Bern- Once you've felt it you can't un- feel it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGirl wrote:
blankmange wrote:
VWGirl wrote:

You seem to disagree with facts. That isnt helpful. I dont even know what to think of that. Facts are facts.

The lawyer i spoke to in july, as well as my insurance company, as well as the at faults insurance company seem to all be on the same page as me... but lets just go back to saying i dont listen and i should tell my insurance company about this and contact a lawyer and go see a doctor... nevermind the fact that the medical is settled....

This thread has become less than helpful for anyone. It seems when i update it as requested that i am just sent back to square one advice that disregards all thats been done.

I will let you all know when this is settled with the insurance and hope that if anyone ever runs into anything similar that they can get past all this bickering about how i dont listen and domt take suggestions to do things that i have already done.... obviously im just sitting here doing nothing and waiting for everything to just fix itself.

Pretty much!

Bryan67 wrote:
Just my hands. And a little lube. No tools.

To best contact me, please use the EMAIL function in my profile
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
VWGirl wrote:
blankmange wrote:
VWGirl wrote:

Pretty much!

So i guess youre just admitting that you dont bother to read or listen to things that were already done... so when i dont do them again im not taking your suggestion... got it.... lmao you guys are so helpful! Im glad you can come up with things ive already done and make it out like its your idea! Good job!
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have all the answers why did you start this thread?

Your passive-aggressive attitude about the opinions you've solicited is quite entertaining.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: