Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member/Type 3 owner
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: New member/Type 3 owner Reply with quote

Just joined the Type 3 club! Met a guy for this Solid squareback yesterday:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not very familiar with these so i have a couple questions.

The guy i bought it from said it was a '71 does this look about correct?
It does not have a motor but i'm going to be picking up this parts one tomorrow:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/pts/4495424714.html

The parts one looks to be close to the same year?? So i figured most of the interior pieces and exterior parts will work on mine.

I'm under the impression all the motors are interchangeable?

Thanks
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yours is a late model 71 looks about right and the one you are buying is around 65. interior should swap trans totally different set up. from doors back can swap over front end is only real difference other then electronics. Someone will correct if i am wrong. Both look like great cars
SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marchi wrote:
yours is a late model 71 looks about right and the one you are buying is around 65. interior should swap trans totally different set up. from doors back can swap over front end is only real difference other then electronics. Someone will correct if i am wrong. Both look like great cars

So i would need to use the trans from the older model? Will it everything bolt into the newer one if i pull it all from the old one?

is the 65 a 6v or 12v system?

thanks
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the blue car should have a swing axle trans, where as the yellow has an irs. can not swap those. engine you can swap just change engine components to 12v ones.
SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marchi wrote:
no the blue car should have a swing axle trans, where as the yellow has an irs. can not swap those. engine you can swap just change engine components to 12v ones.

Oh perfect! The yellow one has a trans and axles just missing the motor. You had me worried it might not work! Is the 65 a 1500?

Is there s good place to order parts for these cars? Interior and drivetrain parts?
marchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use vwispwest, they deal new and used parts, or buggy warehouse
SOLD Sad
'69 Fastback (Flamer)
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marchi wrote:

The blue car motor will not work in the yellow car. It does not have the IRS hanger to mount it.

Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I buy a mount or make one? I have fabrication skills...or would it not be worth it to buy that blue one?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 engine should be 6 volt 1500 S and single relief case and will not have the rear engine hangers for an IRS car...likely not worth the effort to fabricate what you want if the engine is untested.

You'd be better off finding a dual relief case for a 1600 since that's what your car would have had originally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While agree that you would be better off with a late 1600 engine with the proper hanger, another option would be to swap the entire rear subframe, transaxle and engine from the 65 into into the 71. Bit of going backwards power and handling-wise, but it would work.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
65 engine should be 6 volt 1500 S and single relief case and will not have the rear engine hangers for an IRS car...likely not worth the effort to fabricate what you want if the engine is untested.

You'd be better off finding a dual relief case for a 1600 since that's what your car would have had originally.

Well from the last couple posts I'm leaning towards not picking up this parts car since it the motor isn't exactly what I need. It also hasn't been run In a long time....what is the availability of 1600 motors? What soul I pay? Does it have to come out of a square back?
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool square and welcome to type 3's. You need a moto from a 71 type 3 really. Is your FI harness still there? The motors are out there you just have to find the specific type 3 motor which the rear hanger bar started in '69 I believe.

I would still grab that parts 65 for another project for the price. Has plenty of good parts and in my opinion worth it to build another square. The patina on that car is awesome.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asesapie wrote:
Cool square and welcome to type 3's. You need a moto from a 71 type 3 really. Is your FI harness still there? The motors are out there you just have to find the specific type 3 motor which the rear hanger bar started in '69 I believe.

Yup, you're looking for a 69 to 73 type 3 engine. Preferably with it still having the hanger bar in place. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asesapie wrote:

I would still grab that parts 65 for another project for the price. Has plenty of good parts and in my opinion worth it to build another square. The patina on that car is awesome.

There is some wiring in the back but i don't think its complete....

No room for another project right now, so i told the 65' owner i wont be picking it up.
However i was browsing the classifieds on here and found someone about 8 hours away with a 73' parts car complete with a running motor...i emailed him to call me but if anyone knows "Rustfree1967bug" on here could you contact him and tell him i'm very interested in his squareback

Thanks.

Also what are the two levers next to the e brake for? they have red knobs....i was thinking a vent of some kind???
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cplatcek wrote:

Also what are the two levers next to the e brake for? they have red knobs....i was thinking a vent of some kind???

Heater controls. The right handle turns the heat on (lift up on handle) and off, and the left handle controls whether you get all of the heat in front, or in the rear (handle up) or a mix of the 2. There should be 2 slide knobs just in front of the doors, to send the forward heat to the floor, or up to the windshield.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Cplatcek wrote:

Heater controls. The right handle turns the heat on (lift up on handle) and off, and the left handle controls whether you get all of the heat in front, or in the rear (handle up) or a mix of the 2. There should be 2 slide knobs just in front of the doors, to send the forward heat to the floor, or up to the windshield.

Ahhh neat! thanks

Any trick to opening the hood? The lever in the glove box doesn't work. I used a vice grip on the actually cable too since the plastic slide/guide around the cable was broken...tried hitting the hood too...the PO said it opened...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to get WD40 into the latch mechanism in front. If the spare tire isn't in the way, you can get to the latch from underneath. Sometimes helps to have 2 people on each end of the cable while you fuss with it.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You have to get WD40 into the latch mechanism in front. If the spare tire isn't in the way, you can get to the latch from underneath. Sometimes helps to have 2 people on each end of the cable while you fuss with it.

Ahh ill give that a try tomorrow, what if the spare tire is still there? Otherwise just try pushing on the hood while pulling the cable?
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be picking up a mostly complete 73' parts car this weekend. I plan on pulling the motor out and dropping it in mine asap. I'm wondering if there is anything specific i should rebuild/replace before i install the motor? It hasn't been run in 2 years and someone converted it from FI to dual carbs...

Or is there anything i should check on the trans/axles before i install the motor?

I tried to do some searching but couldnt find anything.
Thanks
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the 73' this weekend, little rougher than I though but it will work fine.
I am missing the ignition switch in my 71' and was planning on swaping the one from the 73 over. Will this work? I have read a few things that say the 71' is a unique year....

Also the motor has a single center mount carb that has the air filter running though the engine lid...is there any filter setup that doesn't stick up through the engine lid???

thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: