Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member/Type 3 owner
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 2 floor jacks to pull & drop it all down onto cardboard or plywood. Then separate the engine from the transmission to make them easier to move. Don't forget the 2 heater cables attached to the heater boxes.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "hanta virus" and take precautions before cleaning up that mouse nest.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice automotive advice as well as health warnings. I was unaware of this, I know that there is an issue with bat & pigeon crap
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I use 2 floor jacks to pull & drop it all down onto cardboard or plywood. Then separate the engine from the transmission to make them easier to move. Don't forget the 2 heater cables attached to the heater boxes.

Thanks! thats the info im looking for
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Google "hanta virus" and take precautions before cleaning up that mouse nest.

Yikes! thanks for the heads up. Some nasty stuff out there! I dont think im even going to touch that area under the back seat - nothing i can use in there.

Pretty much going to yank the motor and trans out, steering column, dash, seat belt buckles, door handles, rear hatch lock and lights.
Then scrap the rest i think...i might pull fenders and doors they are actually pretty solid and all the glass thats good too.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the advice would be to be careful about anything we touch or remove from a parked car. The little fellows could have set up shop on top of the trans, inside cooling tins, exhaust. Dust masks & gloves. Best of luck.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a #4 phillips head bit from Sears & a 1/2" breaker bar to remove the door bolts. Press real hard & don't strip them or you have to drill/easy-out them out! Evil or Very Mad A 12? point allen head socket for the IRS axle bolts. A 17mm allen head for the transmission oil check plug. A $5 remote starter button from Harbor Freight means you can work/tune alone. Buy a pack of alligator clips at Harbor Freight to make hooking up the remote starter button easier. Squish a couple plastic ends off the alligator clips, squish the metal tube flat in your vice & they will help in reaching up to the starter in the car.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
marchi wrote:
no the blue car should have a swing axle trans, where as the yellow has an irs. can not swap those. engine you can swap just change engine components to 12v ones.

The blue car motor will not work in the yellow car. It does not have the IRS hanger to mount it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I think I am seeing a 010 Bosch! Cool square back!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the motor and trans out! They are so simple to take out! I was amazed

Im going to pull the engine tin off and clean it all up and paint everything. Any advice for removing the tin?

Removing everything else i can think of before the scrap yard....anything you guys can think of to remove? Im taking all the glass, steering column, dash, lights, door locks, rear hatch locks, gas tank.
I was also thinking about pulling the fenders too....

Is there another way to get the hood open? I tried crawling under the car and spraying the latch but the spare tire is still there.

Thanks
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a cocktail in here about using acetone & automatic trans oil as a rusty hardware removal lube. I would say if you are saving the hood you will have to cut out the front panel to access the lock, or vent some frustrations & get a big pry bar out & have at 'er. Twisted Evil
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken my grinder to a front apron & cut a big square hole at the bottom of it to get the hood open. By all means pull & save the 4 fenders.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cplatcek wrote:

Is there another way to get the hood open? I tried crawling under the car and spraying the latch but the spare tire is still there.

A sort of minimally invasive way, is to drill a 1/4 inch hole, 17 1/2 inches from the fender welt and about 3/4 inches down from the protruding body line just under the hood lip. Then use a screw driver to flick the latch (inserted end of screw driver) arm to release the hood pin. Afterward, you can put a plastic plug in the hole, or weld the hole closed. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to scrap the rest of the donor car, I can use the rear seat belt mounts and the rear seat kick panel. I'll buy them from you if you can email me some photos and they're in decent shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Cplatcek wrote:

A sort of minimally invasive way, is to drill a 1/4 inch hole, 17 1/2 inches from the fender welt and about 3/4 inches down from the protruding body line just under the hood lip. Then use a screw driver to flick the latch (inserted end of screw driver) arm to release the hood pin. Afterward, you can put a plastic plug in the hole, or weld the hole closed. Wink

I might give that a shot, Thanks! The latch releases by pushing back - towards the rear of the car; not sideways?
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
If you're going to scrap the rest of the donor car, I can use the rear seat belt mounts and the rear seat kick panel. I'll buy them from you if you can email me some photos and they're in decent shape.

I'm not 100% sure what parts you need, care to explain more or pics? Can i unbolt them or are they welded in? I'm sure they are still in the car.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cplatcek wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

I'm not 100% sure what parts you need, care to explain more or pics? Can i unbolt them or are they welded in? I'm sure they are still in the car.

The vertical panel that the back seat hinges are attached to is the kick panel. It's spot welded to the pan. They're typically rusted out at the bottom on the passenger's side because of battery acid. It goes all the way across the pan but can be cut in half at the middle where it arches over the tunnel.

[/img]

The seat belt mounts are where the seat belts are mounted to the body. You could cut them out with a sawzall if you have one. There are two in the middle of the back seat. Since I don't own a late car-I'm not 100% sure where the outer mounts are located. I'd take a whole set or just the two as long as the whole bracket is intact (it's about 2" wide by 4" long, IIRC).

Let me know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cplatcek wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Cplatcek wrote:

I might give that a shot, Thanks! The latch releases by pushing back - towards the rear of the car; not sideways?

No, on 70 to 73 cars the cable pulls the latch release lever to the right (passenger side) of the car. I should know, as I've got a 70 and a 71 sitting here. this is why I suggested flicking the release arm with the tip of a screw driver. You just slide it in there, until you feel that release nub, the flick it to the right (screw driver tip). If it doesn't release that way, then the hodd has shifted in the opening, and you might need a helper.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Cplatcek wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

The vertical panel that the back seat hinges are attached to is the kick panel. It's spot welded to the pan. They're typically rusted out at the bottom on the passenger's side because of battery acid. It goes all the way across the pan but can be cut in half at the middle where it arches over the tunnel.

The seat belt mounts are where the seat belts are mounted to the body. You could cut them out with a sawzall if you have one. There are two in the middle of the back seat. Since I don't own a late car-I'm not 100% sure where the outer mounts are located. I'd take a whole set or just the two as long as the whole bracket is intact (it's about 2" wide by 4" long, IIRC).

Let me know!

Ill take a look in the morning, its pretty rusty back there so i wouldnt be surprised if they were toast. What do you think you would pay for them and how would i get them to you?

Thanks
Cplatcek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a recommendation for a fuel pump? I was thinking an inline electric one from like Summit or Jegs would work?
NDAHAUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Airtex E2000 fuel pump. Available at Autozone for $90. There is a good write up on how to do the install somewhere on this site. Has detailed instructions and pictures. I am however thinking of adding an inline pressure regulator after my pump. Start ups are fine but if the car has been running for a while, I have a hard time restarting after shutting it off. My only rememdy so far is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and wait for it to clear out and fire, then plug fuse back in. I am assuming you have FI?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: