Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Also, more photos were posted on the Facebook page in real time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557854114495796/photos/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557854114495796/

The above pics are incredible Phil, but both "facebook" links send you to the sign in page, which sucks for those of us who don't "facebook". Rolling Eyes

But the story of the adventure and pics are way cool. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

The above pics are incredible Phil, but both "facebook" links send you to the sign in page, which sucks for those of us who don't "facebook". Rolling Eyes

Most of the Facebook photos were posted in this thread...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Most of the Facebook photos were posted in this thread...

Ok, that's even better.
Did anyone get any pics of the individual plaques John handed out?
Those looked like works of art.
Or the annual group shot? Just trying to put some faces to those who showed up. I did recognise a few people in some of the shots.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Pics look great, wish I could have gone. Although 100+ degree heat in a car without A/C and vinyl seats doesn't sound like fun. And I grew up in Florida. LOL.
2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

LONG DISTANCE: Knowles Richards - Connecticut 2509 miles in 1964 Squareback over five days
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ARTIST CHOICE: Jennifer & David Lynch - Green 1969 Fastback

OLDEST: Lee Hedges - Ruby Red 1962 T34 Cabriolet (#0 001 776 built 14 Nov 1961)

YOUNGEST: Sarah Lind - 1971 Squareback

FAVORITE EARLY: Rob Thomas - 1963 RHD Notchback

FAVORITE LATE: Phil Hof 1971 Fastback

LIGHTEST (BEST STOCK): Pedro Sainz Smoke Gray 1965 T34 Coupe

DARKEST (BEST CUSTOM): Lance MacDonald 1971 Fastback

RUSS WOLFE MEMORIAL: Lee Hedges (San Diego CA)
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:

RUSS WOLFE MEMORIAL: Lee Hedges (San Diego CA)

Thank You Lee. Those plaques are really cool, but you got the BEST one of all (this one). Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Well wishes for those brave souls who came from afar, still on their way home!
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Just a quick post...still on the road heading home after another great Invasion! Jill and I are travelling back with Jim and Melissa and having a blast. Two more days and 1030 miles for us. I will get pictures uploaded when we get home. Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. Great pictures.

Huge thank you to our local hosts this year, Ken and Sue Rogers, who did a great job organizing everything locally. Everything went off with out a hitch.

Huge thank you to all of the Invaders that pitched in and helped with set-up and clean-up and just making the event run smoothly, but especially to my beautiful wife Jill for just handling things in the background and making things work. I couldn't do these Invasions without her. Love you Sweety.

Due to the generous donations of so many people, we had the largest silent auction yet. We raised $1463 through the silent auction. Along with the money from the t-shirt sales ($744), the logo magnets ($40) and the souvenir buttons ($30), we are going to be able to make a donation of $2277 to the BIg Brothers/Big Sisters organization of Prescott!

Gotta get some sleep. Long hot day tomorrow. More when we get home.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Although I did not know Russ Wolfe, I was aware of his legacy in the Type 3 community. To be honored with the Russ Wolfe Memorial award was surprising & humbling. I recall Russ was a wealth of knowledge & never hesitated to share it with anyone that asked for help. He helped all T3 owners over the years through theSamba & type3.org forums.

Over the past 30 years I've strived to create a T34 community of owners that are well-supported, well-informed, and have a positive attitude towards helping each other with parts sources & restoration advice. It began in 1987 with the formation of the Type 34 Registry, then when the internet was born it changed into Pure T34, and in 2011 the T34 World organization was born. I know most of the world's T34s, keep individual profiles of each of the 1425 known cars, and maintain a worldwide database of T34s. I also manage T34 World Consignments, helping enthusiasts buy T34s & owners sell their T34s.

Again, I'm humbled & honored to continue the work that Russ Wolfe was so well known for. And I only wish to have met him to develop a personal connection.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

2nd Invasion for me without my car. Crying or Very sad Good news is I will be ready for the next. It was great meeting all the west coast people and seeing the cars. We had a great time and it was a little sad to see it come to a close. Looking forward to next Invasion. Cheers to our hosts Ken and Sue, and of course our coordinators John, and of course Jill.
RAIDER SS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Another great Invasion is over, and thanx to Ken and Sue for all the work it takes to host one, and to John and Jill for their devotion in keeping these Invasions going strong!
As we know, these Invasions are just as much about the owners as it is about the T3's. At this Invasion I met Rob Thomas and his keen notchback. I told Rob we would be heading to San Diego after the Invasion, so Rob invited me to attend his San Diego Air Cooled clubs weekly Tuesday night get together. What a hoot that was tonight!!!
They "only" (Robs words) had 28 VW's there tonight, including some very early buses and bugs. They held a short club meeting to tend to upcoming business and then it was on to socializing! Gail and I felt like celebrity's representing New York visitors to their club, and many club members went out of their way to make us feel welcome. VW stories were a plenty, and we learned a few new things about VW's in Socal. We bought a couple of club tee shirts and we will wear them proudly back in New York!
It seems like every Invasion we attend - the world gets a little smaller and smaller with each one. Meeting other VW enthusiasts and making new friendships is just another added bonus in attending our Invasions!
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing such awesome pics. Looks to have been a great time and the collection of Type3s had to be something spectacular to experience. Congrats to all that attended and hope everyone got back home without incident.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Or the annual group shot? Just trying to put some faces to those who showed up. I did recognise a few people in some of the shots.

I am sure those will be posted soon. There were also car group pics by body type.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:

FAVORITE LATE: Phil Hof 1971 Fastback

Phil, can you tell me what the guy in your plaque is doing? My wife thinks it's a "gold miner" (panning for gold (maybe type 3 gold Cool )), but it also looks like someone sitting at a campfire. It's really hard to tell from the pic. Thanks.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

late = campfire (night)
early = rooster (morning)
I like the white and black hat icons, too! (stock and custom)
They were all clever and really well-done!
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Here are some of my pictures from the trip...

Alex and I left ISP West on Thursday night and booked it down to Anaheim to meet up with Tommy and our buddy Randy. Our plan was to leave at 7PM and get there just after 1AM. We were way off on that time frame. We ended up leaving at 730 and getting into Prescott at 330AM.

The next morning was rough. We got up at 630AM and raced over to the host hotel to meet up with the rest of the group for the trip to the Grand Canyon. Phil came through on the awesome Invasion magnets!

Then we took the 2+ hour drive to the Grand Canyon. The heat wasn't so bad on Friday and Saturday.

Only uploaded this one picture from the actual Invasion...

Sunday was pretty mellow. I think there were only 7 or so Type 3s still hanging around.

And then it was time to leave. The heat on the way back was borderline unbearable; reaching 120 degrees for long periods of time.

About 10 miles outside of Quartsite I lost half of my power. I pulled off the highway only to discover that one of my small linkages had popped off. I put a new c-clip in it, popped it back on, and we were off. We stopped at the Carl's Jr. in Quartsite to kill some time as the sun was setting right into our faces. The food was terrible, there was a giant tarantula hawk flying around inside, and the temp outside was still 111 degrees.

Fun fact, the tarantula hawk (aka GIANT BLACK WASP) has one of the most painful stings of any insect. From wikipedia - "One researcher described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."

Yikes. Anywho, this was the last picture I took outside of the Carl's Jr. as the sun was setting and the moon was rising.

Despite the heat, I would do the trip all over again. I enjoyed putting faces to names and hanging out with other Type 3 nerds. Until next time...

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Jill and I rolled into our driveway at 8pm local time. It was an epic 4000+ mile adventure. Jill's Type 34 Ghia performed flawlessly and beat Sophy on mileage every tankful. Sophy made it with only a few minor issues.

Big shout out to Mike and the guys at Meineke Car Care Center in Troy, IL for getting Sophy's exhaust welded back on this morning. In and out in less than an hour and only charged me $20.

Lots more to post later....need to unpack, get the cars put away before the weather hits here, and unwind a little first.

Thank you to everyone that made this Invasion another huge success! The Type 3 family is AWESOME!!!
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

Anyone heard from the two longest-distance folks (from Connecticut and Brooklyn)? Helluva drive!
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Anyone heard from the two longest-distance folks (from Connecticut and Brooklyn)? Helluva drive!

Knowles got home this afternoon to Connecticut. Sarah should be at her parent's place in OH for a few days and then home to NY on Saturday.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ Reply with quote

How about you guys make a nice boat ride to Hawaii? Hahaha Would be nice to have an Invasion here.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: