Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2016 Invasion - June 16-19, 2016 - Prescott Valley, AZ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surprised no one has suggested leavenworth WA for an invasion yet.... perfect small town with plenty to see and do and hidden in the mountains a bit off the beaten path. ....2018? by then i may be able to help host it.... Think

i think if my square gets on the road reliably this year and i have a good track record of reliability i may actually consider the 3 day drive down....

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I thought that little girl & dog made Kansas seem like a great place to call home. I am looking forward to this event. Spent last night working on my car & looking forward to going south west.
Backn86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaransonT3 wrote:
If we end up in Flagstaff it will likely be much cooler than Kansas. Average highs in June are only in the upper 70s with average lows in the mid 40s. Prescott is only 5-7 degrees warmer on average.

Flagstaff would awesome, hoping that's where we end up. I've been to Phoenix in the middle of June and it's HOT!! Embarassed

Hopefully we can get a good group from So. Cal to caravan out, looking forward to it.

Anyone heading to the Type 3 Rallye in Cayucos coming up in 2 weeks? Should be a good time Very Happy
BugIn.com | Ovals Only | West Coast Bays | Orange County Type 3s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaransonT3 wrote:
greenmtnjakes wrote:
You guys are funny, talkin about how hot Kansas is when we're going to Arizona... Very Happy

If we end up in Flagstaff it will likely be much cooler than Kansas. Average highs in June are only in the upper 70s with average lows in the mid 40s. Prescott is only 5-7 degrees warmer on average.

I suspect getting there...Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, etc will be hotter.

Well, Missouri will be hot and humid, and eastern Oklahoma will be too, then the air should dry out some, even IF the furnace is on. Rolling Eyes I'm betting Missouri will be in the mid 90's with Oklahoma pretty damn close to that, if not hotter (it's always been that way when I pass thru there). I think I'll stay out of Kansas thank you.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
RAIDER SS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh - Kansas.... brings back caravanning memories. That state was so bloody hot coming back from the Colorado Invasion - it was the only time in my life I wanted to drive naked Shocked
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAIDER SS wrote:
Ahhh - Kansas.... brings back caravanning memories. That state was so bloody hot coming back from the Colorado Invasion - it was the only time in my life I wanted to drive naked Shocked

Try it sometime...its fun Twisted Evil hahaha

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. I remembered a place in Flagstaff called Black Barts. Is the Invasion going to be near there? Great memories of eating there & thought it would be a cool venue. Wink
vwfanatic67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Helen ga. Little town in the mountains theme like a old German town. I went to southern worthesee last year in my notch and there was at least 15 type 3's. I've never seen that many at any southeast aircooled show and this was a water cooled show. There where probably more type 3's than beetles. Just a thought.

SBS #74
52 Split Beetle
60 Panel
65 Notchback
More if my wife would let me!
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfanatic67 wrote:
What about Helen ga. Little town in the mountains theme like a old German town. I went to southern worthesee last year in my notch and there was at least 15 type 3's. I've never seen that many at any southeast aircooled show and this was a water cooled show. There where probably more type 3's than beetles. Just a thought.

2016 will be in the Prescott Valley/Flagstaff area of Arizona. We have a local host lined up and we will be announcing dates and details as we get them ironed out.....

But stay tuned for 2018....there is a very good chance we will be coming to the Southeast region of the US for the first time.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great spot! Downtown Prescott has that old wholesome american feel to it and it'd be great if we could park everyone around the main square.

Count me in!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice. I've traveled through both towns about a dozen years ago on a driving vacation (modern car) and wished to return someday. It'd be a huge "bucket list" trip for me to drive to the Invasion there, though I was even too lazy and unfortunately unmotivated to get my Fasty running for this year's Invasion in NY (my home state) only about 5 hrs away... Embarassed
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I hope to make this Invasion since my car almost burnt in the fires in Colorado during the 2012 Invasion. Now it is back on all fours and I have just a few things to do and I get to see you all again... Smile
I also have a request, I have a side job at a yard here in the springs that has a 1963 (according to the M code) S model Square with a sunroof that needs saving. Someone told my boss he can make more money selling parts and I cant see the car going that way. So I am reaching out to you to help me save this car...please!
The ad with pics is here---> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1645496
Please save this car, I dont have the heart to cut it up.
Hope this is not out of line, kind of a desperation attempt.
See ya in Az!!
Thanks...Chad

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1972 Tin Top 9 Passenger Deluxe
1978 Honda CT90
1978-ish Chrysler Snorunner
and usually a couple of stragglers...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenmtnjakes wrote:
First off, I hope to make this Invasion since my car almost burnt in the fires in Colorado during the 2012 Invasion. Now it is back on all fours and I have just a few things to do and I get to see you all again... Smile
I also have a request, I have a side job at a yard here in the springs that has a 1963 (according to the M code) S model Square with a sunroof that needs saving. Someone told my boss he can make more money selling parts and I cant see the car going that way. So I am reaching out to you to help me save this car...please!
The ad with pics is here---> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1645496
Please save this car, I dont have the heart to cut it up.
Hope this is not out of line, kind of a desperation attempt.
See ya in Az!!
Thanks...Chad
It's not a '63, it's an early '64. It may have been produced in the last few months of '63, but it was the '64 model year. Also, Type 3's do not have M codes.

Also, if you're serious about selling a car, put a price not an "Ask". Your link in the ad leads to nothing. It says "Product not found".

FU#3
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, still a car worth saving IMHO. This car does not belong to me as I started in my initial post. The link is to the owners "Parting out" ad so "ask" means to describe the part needed. The link works for me so i dont know how I can fix that for you.
Speaking of links, heres one for you to look up the M code on your Type III
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest3.php

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1978 Honda CT90
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenmtnjakes wrote:
Okay, still a car worth saving IMHO. This car does not belong to me as I started in my initial post. The link is to the owners "Parting out" ad so "ask" means to describe the part needed. The link works for me so i dont know how I can fix that for you.
Speaking of links, heres one for you to look up the M code on your Type III
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest3.php
I know of those M codes. What I was referring to is that there is no M code plate on the Type 3 the way Type 2's have. The only way you can know the codes is to get a birth certificate.

When I click on http://www.carswcharacter.com/product_info.php/products_id/1651 (the link in your ad), this is what I get. You probably get the product because it is cached on your computer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FU#3
Mountain Haus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, whatever. Do you want the car?

1978 Dakota Beige Westy
1964 Euro "S" Variant
1978 Honda CT90
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has 35 pages of Bus ads and they're pictured in the background, so he'd be happy to part it out too. You'd have to pay a fair price to get him to sell it whole.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first, take the unrelated conversation (hijack) to another post if you volks want to keep arguing Rolling Eyes Seriously, watch the signal-to-noise ratio.

Second, while I'm glad John has pointed out that the event is done during the summer between school sessions, I would also like to remind some of you that these cars are cooled just like their owners, by AIR! Thus traveling in the middle-to-late summer is pretty freakin' uncomfortable for all. Those of us with the luxury to live in cooler and definitively less humid environments don't have the time to acclimate to the climate we're traveling into so while you Southerners may scoff at 100°F days there will be others who are not used to the heat, humidity, and large cockroaches. So when contemplating a location please keep in mind the temperatures.

Third, while having an Invasion on the Pacific or Atlantic coastline is cool (in more ways than one), traveling from the opposite side of the country is expensive. Heck, even mid-country would be as well. Think about it: Gas, food, lodging in BOTH directions and no work during the travel time (so you use up vacation if you have it). According to the 2012 Invasion (Oregon to Colorado) I spent over $450 in gasoline alone! The drive was three long days one-way. So while you will want to make every Invasion it really may not be feasible. I'd love to make every one but close to a couple thousand dollars (and that's NOT being lavish at all), almost two weeks time off (and that's not spending it with my family) is a lot to expect so don't get too beat up about it. If you want to make one do expect to travel and do expect it to be at least one or two full days of driving, minimum.

I like the thought of using Arizona. A caravan to the Grand Canyon would be neat.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChaseEverett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Damn, another 2 way trip across Kansas? I hate driving across that state in the summer. It's almost as bad as driving across Oklahoma. Shocked Keep in mind Oklahoma has toll roads too. Evil or Very Mad

hey it could be worse, you could live here Rolling Eyes Laughing

ChiTwnVW wrote:
I thought I was the only one who was stoned.....

Wildthings wrote:
12 or more degrees to far retarded
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting us back on track Toby.

The Invasion is moved around the country intentionally to try to give as many folks as possible a chance to attend one and to give folks a chance to meet other Type 3 folks and check out cars they might not otherwise see. I understand that this means that some folks won't be able to make it to every Invasion due to time constraints, costs, lack of faith in their car to make it, or any number of other reasons. Heck, I think we are down to three folks (me, Keith Park, and Jim Adney) that have made it to all of the Invasions and my Sophy is the only car that has made it to all of the Invasions. (since Jim and Keith each took different cars to at least one of the Invasions).

But we have lots of repeat Invaders and I look forward to renewing those friendships at each of the Invasions. I also look forward to meeting new Invaders at each one and hearing their stories and sharing mine and making new friends.

For me the caravans to the Invasions are as much of the experience as the Invasion itself. Getting to see different parts of this great country as we cruise in our wonderful cars is the best. If the Invasion was held in the same location each time or even alternated between the same two place on the East and West coasts, I doubt that I would have the same incentive to make the 2 or 3 or 4 day drive to it every other year.

But those long drives are worth it to be able to take my car to the top of Pike's Peak, through the Redwood Forest, run laps at Watkins Glen, watch a movie while laying in the back with decklid open at the Route 66 Drive-In, do a clutch and main seal replacement at midnight in the hotel parking lot, or even just sitting in hot dusty drive-in theatre in Parma, ID with a bunch of folks I only knew through an e-mail list serve.

The idea of getting a picture of Sophy and Jill's Type 34 Ghia with the Grand Canyon in the background in 2016 is enough incentive to make that long drive again.

See everyone that can make it in Arizona in 2016!
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: