Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yandina combined light always on
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hankster2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowtoy70 wrote:
Thought i had it fixed. Now the red overload light stays on. When i ground the blue wire it goes off, but it wont combine the batteries now. I think the combiner is faulty and ill have to send it back.

As was already stated - double check your ground. Going from memory here, but I think the red light will also come on if the battery voltage drops below 10 volts so don't assume it's an overload/overheat situation. Maybe the unit is sensing a low voltage situation?

Is the unit actually hot when the red light flashes? I had mine installed in the engine bay of a boat between 2 327's and never had an issue with heat overload so I'd assume it'd have to be pretty warm to be in high-heat shutdown mode.
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reporting back on my findings. I grounded the green wire on the c100 to manually combine the two batteries. However, there was no change in the overload light, it remained on. In all fairness, I did not ground it that well, I will make a second attempt tonight. Bowtoy70, please keep this thread up to date with your findings from Yandina. I might be to send mine back as well, and I would like to know how your exchange goes, and if it fixes the problem.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an addenda to my previous post, I do remember now that the overload light would stay on while the grounding on both sides was separate.
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news bowtoy70? I am still having issues with my c100, the green combine light will not come on. I have attempted grounding the green wire to force the c100 to combine both banks with no success. If anyone has a solution, or any ideas, please post them to this thread.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gpeck96 wrote:
Any news bowtoy70? I am still having issues with my c100, the green combine light will not come on. I have attempted grounding the green wire to force the c100 to combine both banks with no success. If anyone has a solution, or any ideas, please post them to this thread.

Grounding the green wire will not allow it to combine. Putting 12v to the green wire will force it to combine. It will automatically combine when the green wire is disconnected from everything and the voltage at one batery is over 12.9-13.0 volts. So if the green wire is disconnected, with the van running it should combine after a short delay. If it does not, check the voltage at your starting battery and see what it is. You may have a deficient charging system.
DubNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you buy your Yandina?

Yandina had a batch of faulty units that got shipped. They were mostly in 2013, I know because I usually buy several at a time for customers and pulled one off the shelf only to find it was faulty.. Of course I found this out after finalizing the install only to have to yank the unit and do the job Twice.

The units have a lifetime warranty, so if your questioning the integrity of it, you could always send it back to Yandinia and if faulty he'll replace it or test it and if good your get your answer and unit retuned to you..

If you listen near the Yandina are you hearing a slight clicking sound. The Faulty batch had a bad relay in them so that's the clicking your normally hear when they latch and unlatch combining the batteries together..

BTW your description of your troubles sounds just like a Faulty Ground..
Don't use the Seatbelt bolt as a grounding point, because it's not your best choice as it may swivel and produce a poor ground. Also do not use the blank seatbelt hole next to it, as that one is painted and tuff to get a good ground. The Vans sheetmetal is also a bad choice. Try for the frame etc.
So in short check and double check the ground wires. Skinny black and Thick Green wires..
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PDXWesty, I will try this when I get home today. As for when I bought the Yandina C100, it was purchased about 2 months ago. I installed it with Anchor 8awg wire and 80amp fuses. The unit seemed to be working when I first installed it, but then I had the problem that was first described in this thread, the green combine light would not turn off. I figured that it was probably a ground issue, so I investigated. After checking all my connections and the ground point the c100 would no longer combine, and the red overload light has been on since. I have called Yandina a few times, and they said that it could be the charging system. So I checked the voltage going into the main batterie. That seemed fine, then I went on to the second suggestion, batteries not holding a proper charge. I tested the main batterie, and it would go up to 13.4v when the alternator was charging, and would stay around 12ish when the van was off. So I turned to this thread to get some user experiences and some help. Please keep the suggestions coming, and I will report back with my findings. Thank you to all who contribute, in advance.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps to have a voltmeter and measure the voltages on both sides. The green “Combined” light will remain on for some time after the engine is shut off. That is normal unless one battery is loaded and voltage drops. If you are not camping in your van you may never see this happen. While diagnosing have a load to pull power on both sites at different times. Even a 1 amp load is enough to trigger the combiner after a short delay.
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I connected the c100's green wire to a 12v source, but the green light did not come on. Is there anything else I should try before I send the unit back to Yandina?
joshtjeerdsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, i was sidetracked by a bunch of other repairs. I ended up mailing my yandina back and they sent me a new one. I hooked the new one up and it had the same quircks. I tried hooking one power lead to each battery, instead of one to my aux battery and one to my starter post like previously. Then the combiner worked like it should. But, after i buttoned everything back up the combiner stays combined indefinately. So im back where I started. I dont understand how this exact setup worked in my last van but not this one.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like unbalanced grounding to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: