Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If my beetle is making 146 hp atw How much is that at the
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poraga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: If my beetle is making 146 hp atw How much is that at the Reply with quote

If my beetle is making 146 hp atw How much is that at the engine and is us hp different to Australia hp?
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be about 158 at the flywheel.
I do not know if the translation is the same over there in Austraila. You might need to look that one up.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a little more at the flywheel,but kinda hard to drive ir with out the trans.
Poraga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool the guy who built me the engine siad it would be 180 hp at the engine why i was double checkin as it didt sound right
Poraga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sry he said 146 atw is 180 at the engine? 25% slipage?
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poraga wrote:
Ok cool the guy who built me the engine siad it would be 180 hp at the engine why i was double checkin as it didt sound right

They might be right if they were running it through a V8 automatic transmission but not a tiny Type 1 4-speed.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Horsepower is 1 horsepower the world over. If you were converting horsepower to kilowatts, then there'd be a difference. 1-hp is about 3/4-kw.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poraga wrote:
Sry he said 146 atw is 180 at the engine? 25% slipage?

It's not slippage. It takes HP to turn the gears and moving parts. It is more with an automatic.

Poraga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus ans this is Australias best vw engine builder Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also something to consider is the elevation. Have the vehicle on a Dyno for sure, I did. This was at 5000 feet and you will loose power at elevation.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1209317.jpg

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})

Last edited by gt1953 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

180 at the crank and 146 at the rear wheels on a chassis dyno sounds about right to me.
Poraga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its possible to be 146atw to bw 180 hp at the crank? It has a wegdemated crank if that makes a deffence ?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is loss due to brakes dragging, tranny, and tire friction on the dyno roller. 20% loss is not uncommon. That would put you close to your 180 figure.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

146/.85=171
146/.80=182

So, 170-180 is very close.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anvil wrote:
1 Horsepower is 1 horsepower the world over. If you were converting horsepower to kilowatts, then there'd be a difference. 1-hp is about 3/4-kw.

SAE gross HP? SAE net HP? DIN HP? I'm sure there are others that don't immediately come to mind. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
Anvil wrote:

SAE gross HP? SAE net HP? DIN HP? I'm sure there are others that don't immediately come to mind. Wink

IIRC, horsepower is an exact standard to measure work performed over a period of time, but yeah, there are different protocols for measuring it.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a no frills way to explain hp:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm

Here is another:
http://www.viewamerica.net/art/en-horsepower.html

There is really no way to give an exact or just reasonably exact estimation on flywheel hp out from wheel hp. The variables are way too many.
Tire size, tire type, tire pressure, gear ratio, drag in transmission and rpm. The number can vary from approx 15 - almost 30% a rule of thumb is 17-20%
From that John C´s calculations are about right.

T
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget numbers. Too many times, people get caught up on numbers. I always estimate on the low side when giving an estimate to customers. Short of something obviously wrong with the engine and its output, its time to enjoy the engine. 150 hp is a lot in a vw engine and for a street machine.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 146 RWHP on a calculated 180 flywheel is pretty good. 20% losses is a pretty commonly accepted fudge factor for VWs. A lot can vary according to the fudge factors added in by the dyno operator as well. The difference the OP is probably thinking of is the old SAE vs DIN figures, where different operating conditions such as removing all accessories made for different figures.
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poraga wrote:
Jesus ans this is Australias best vw engine builder Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Huh? That'd be me......oh wait....no, Im Australia's SLOWEST engine builder. Close.

If it's the guy Im thinking of, how did you ever get off the phone?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: