Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out the oil booster kit! Without gauges you can blow out the oil cooler, its seals, or even swell up the cooler so cooling air will not go thru it!!

Fix the cooling problem first and again expect the engine to run hot right now due to the corrosion.

Get oil pressure and oil temp gauges to make sure what is going on in the engine and do not guess.

Years ago a friend built an engine for us. We installed gauges and saw that the oil pressure would not go below 60 Lbs. in 70 F weather. Above 80 Lbs. and you can damage the oil cooling system. Turned out the oil pressure relief valve spring was one of those after market booster springs.....

Have saved us from at least five "need to rebuild the engine now" situations by having gauges.

Understand the frustration you are having, but this is the reality of getting an old car and at same time the lack of experience you have. It is a hump you will have to climb over and it really helps to post before buying/installing something like the oil boost kit. In other words "haste makes waste".
pupi305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Take out the oil booster kit! Without gauges you can blow out the oil cooler, its seals, or even swell up the cooler so cooling air will not go thru it!!

Fix the cooling problem first and again expect the engine to run hot right now due to the corrosion.

Get oil pressure and oil temp gauges to make sure what is going on in the engine and do not guess.

Years ago a friend built an engine for us. We installed gauges and saw that the oil pressure would not go below 60 Lbs. in 70 F weather. Above 80 Lbs. and you can damage the oil cooling system. Turned out the oil pressure relief valve spring was one of those after market booster springs.....

Have saved us from at least five "need to rebuild the engine now" situations by having gauges.

Understand the frustration you are having, but this is the reality of getting an old car and at same time the lack of experience you have. It is a hump you will have to climb over and it really helps to post before buying/installing something like the oil boost kit. In other words "haste makes waste".

Ok just removed it my buddy has a set off gauges he said he would give me it has battery, oil pressure, and water temp he said I can use the water guage to test oil temp as long as I use the correct fittings is that correct?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the size of the senders. Might be better to just buy a set of VDO gauges and senders that will fit.
dihorul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem of overheating. After half hour the temperature goes up to 130 C. No mater if is a city drive or highway.
I have all the thins and the rubbers in place, is a 1600 engine rebuild.
I suspect that the cause is the temperature sensor witch is install under the engine in the left side replacing the the screw that aloes you to regulate the oil pressure.
The temperature sensor is designed to fit there and it keeps the inner parts on (the spring &).
I cannot think at other scenario.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

PS: I just ordered an extra oil pan (1.7 lt. capacity). I hope that the extra oil can help the cooling.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too frustrated. You will always have issues with a bug but the question is do you love your bug. Mine was VERY frustrating for a time but as I figured the issues out life got better. Now when something happens I see it for what is worth and generally know how to fix it. This site has all the answers. Dr Scope knows what he is talking about, replace your tins.

My suggestion it to do a FULL tune up. Replace the tins. Run it with a tennis ball on the lock on the deck lid in the summer and see were you stand. I bet it is combination of tins and tunning.

After changing the oil your light came back on Confused Seen that lots myself. It has something to do with the viscosity. What grade of oil did you change it with? Everyone seems to go with 10W-30 but I like to go a little thicker especially in the summer when temps are higher and the oil thins out as the temps go higher.

Fuel smell: Where do you smell it from? I had a issue with the smell coming from the hood area and it was combination of old fuel lines and a bad cap gasket. As long as I do not spill it does not smell any longer. Also does your pressure relief spicket on the fill tube work. Mine did not and I had to open it. The tube on it is critical for pressure release and making it so the smell is not a constant problem when the car is parked. A loop is required in the line for proper pressure.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.

Last edited by tb03830 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also consider reinstalling the thermostat- yes acvw had them, and the cooling flaps inside the fan shroud. No one has mentioned them yet.

I recently drove my 1965 Bus- a lot heavier than a bug, all day in 110 degree F heat and the engine temp was 182. I then climbed a mountain on the same day in the same heat 7,000 feet in 12 miles and the temperature was 190 F.

Here's a helpful link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48385&highlight=

I run straight 30 weight oil in the summer.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dihorul wrote:

I suspect that the cause is the temperature sensor witch is install under the engine in the left side replacing the the screw that aloes you to regulate the oil pressure.

Buy a meat or candy thermometer that has a 25 mm or smaller dial on it, and the probe is as long or a bit longer than your dipstick. Test for proper read out with pot of boiling water.

With that in hand you can cross check your gauge.
dihorul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
dihorul wrote:

Buy a meat or candy thermometer that has a 25 mm or smaller dial on it, and the probe is as long or a bit longer than your dipstick. Test for proper read out with pot of boiling water.

With that in hand you can cross check your gauge.

The sensor is ok. It is tested. I use mineral oil 15w40 from Castrol. I may try sintetic, against some advices. My escape pan is located on the right side under the back fender, so that heat source is away from the engine. I hope that the extra oil pan will solve the overheating problem. The car it is at the paint shop. After the paint job is done I will test harder for an solution, with help from your ideeas.
ThingBeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dihorul, before you change oil to 15w40, try SAE30. That is what i use in my 2007cc engine. It is much thicker and really works well. Keeps my engine at 175 degree all day in the hot Houston Texas weather. If that doesn't work, go back to the 15w40.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoover's website says you should replace old coolers. He said they can't be cleaned and over the decades bits of metal fill the cooler, preventing it's cooling capacity. I've dealt with overheating more than two years now. Everything except the cooler has been replaced. I just replaced the cooler today and will see what happens this weekend.

crvc
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reused oil coolers since 1977 without any issues. I heed a lot of what Hoover says and his opinion on coolers may have been written when quality new ones were still available and probably still cheap- not so anymore.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Do a search for a part called a "hoover bit"....I"d bet real money yours is missing Wink

Hi Pete, the engine is a 40hp 1200, they still run the old internal oil cooler, no hoover bit on them.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
I have reused oil coolers since 1977 without any issues. I heed a lot of what Hoover says and his opinion on coolers may have been written when quality new ones were still available and probably still cheap- not so anymore.

I took a trip a couple weeks ago, bringing a laser thermometer. The engine temps were over 250 (F) and the lower exposed fins were over 300. I ended up with vapor lock. I replaced the cooler and added a hoover bit last week. I paid less than $50 for the two items. I did the trip again today. The engine temp never got about 200 and the cylinders stayed under 250. No vapor lock on this three hour drive. The old oil cooler caused constant vapor lock. The new cooler worked perfectly.

crvc
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on your cooler. I do not have any personal experience with the new ones because I reuse the old ones but I have read on here that the new ones leak after some time.

jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across this interesting Chris Vallone article on VW bug vaporlock, take a look;
http://www.classicvwbugs.com/2014/05/09/classic-vw-bugs-our-gas-today-vapor-lock-beetle-overheating/
apensity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:

I took a trip a couple weeks ago, bringing a laser thermometer. The engine temps were over 250 (F) and the lower exposed fins were over 300. I ended up with vapor lock. I replaced the cooler and added a hoover bit last week. I paid less than $50 for the two items. I did the trip again today. The engine temp never got about 200 and the cylinders stayed under 250. No vapor lock on this three hour drive. The old oil cooler caused constant vapor lock. The new cooler worked perfectly.

crvc

Any updates as to how it's been running? Was it just the cooler and hoover bit? Do you have flaps in the doghouse? Are your tims all sealed correctly? Thanks for any info! Smile
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating? Reply with quote

Back to Pupi. You may have already damaged your engine driving it around with all the missing cooling tin parts and engine seals not being in place. Even if you do fix it up proper, it might still give you problems. Best of luck.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:

You normally see a leak in a water cooled car because you get a puddle, or you see steam. But in an air cooled car there is no puddle to see, or no steam to see from the cooling air overheating.

Are you saying a good way to check that our tins are on correctly is to fill up the engine bay with water and see where it comes out?

Laughing
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating? Reply with quote

Any idea how I can cover up these holes?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating? Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
Any idea how I can cover up these holes?

Do you have heat exchangers installed??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: