Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turnkey motors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zsa_Ra79vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: turnkey motors Reply with quote

I am considering buying a turnkey performance motor for my 79 Super beetle, probably a 1835cc. I am on the fence weather or not to get a rebuilt or new.

Also, I am considering Mofoco or GEX. Are there any other reliable engine manufacturers? What are your recommendations?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: turnkey motors Reply with quote

bjohnross wrote:
Also, I am considering Mofoco or GEX. Are there any other reliable engine manufacturers? What are your recommendations?

I'd choose Mofoco a thousand times more than GEX, read about GEX. Who "ever" called GEX reliable? Roy from Mofoco posts on this site too.

bjohnross wrote:
I am considering buying a turnkey performance motor for my 79 Super beetle, probably a 1835cc.

Question: is said 1979 Super Convertible still fuel injected like from the factory?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on GEX and you'll understand why everyone laughs at the name. Don't be a typical VW person and go to the cheapest supplier. Do some research and see whats good for a driver.

And if you are thinking about going from EFI to carb, please think twice.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea GEX was in my backyard until reading over some of those other threads just now.
I think I'd still rather try rebuilding myself Shocked

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 1600 cc dual port rebuilt long block from Mofoco. It has given me 40,000 plus miles of trouble free driving and still has excellent compression.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read about both companies, I wouldn't use either. Look at Mofoco's feedback thread on here.

There are other engine builders out there that have excellent feedback. Have you looked around your area for a local VW shop? Often times, there are some still out there and it's nice to have them close by if a problem arises.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
From what I've read about both companies, I wouldn't use either. Look at Mofoco's feedback thread on here.

There are other engine builders out there that have excellent feedback. Have you looked around your area for a local VW shop? Often times, there are some still out there and it's nice to have them close by if a problem arises.

YES, please check out my feedback and read all the entires. There are 33 positive comments and 19 negative comments over the last 7 years. This is obviously a very small sample of our total customers around the world. If you or anyone else has any questions, please feel free to email me direct.

Roy

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I had no idea GEX was in my backyard until reading over some of those other threads just now.
I think I'd still rather try rebuilding myself Shocked

Wink

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
YES, please check out my feedback and read all the entires. There are 33 positive comments and 19 negative comments over the last 7 years. This is obviously a very small sample of our total customers around the world. If you or anyone else has any questions, please feel free to email me direct. Roy

There will ALWAYS be more negative feedback than positive on ANY Internet reviews, just human nature. Like when my brand-new Doughboy liner had a seam leak, and Doughboy conceded that it was their liner and that there was a seam leak, still balked at fulfilling its in-writing, on-Internet "100% warranty on liner seams" (said I couldn't prove that the liner was not a second-hand liner, even though I had the origianl box) and used a professional installer. I let them know I was going to blast the Internet and BBB, and finally they agreed.

I do not know Roy, don't know or care what color or religion he is, etc. But he is responsive to people's concerns and issues, and Mofoco has stood behind their stuff. So I personally feel that I'd be fine to use Mofoco.

As Joe E. Brown stated at the end of "Some Like it Hot": Nobody's Perfect !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local shop just took delivery of a Gary Berg turnkey..... i'm IMPRESSED.

Not cheap, but if you want the best, its will cost you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turnkey, cam broken in and dyno tuned.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you buy cheap, you get cheap and will learn it's cheaper to do it right the first time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

x2

"There will ALWAYS be more negative feedback than positive on ANY Internet reviews, just human nature"

this is not true. There are hundreds of feedback threads on the Samba where there are very little if not zero complaints to be found in them. Or there is a problem and it gets resolved. Its a question of whether or not you are a gambling man. Might be a smooth transaction, might lead to you pulling your hair out.
It's your blood pressure, warning given.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Brothers VW .. I had an excellent experience with them

http://www.brothersvwmachineshop.com/

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

YES, please check out my feedback and read all the entires. There are 33 positive comments and 19 negative comments over the last 7 years. This is obviously a very small sample of our total customers around the world. If you or anyone else has any questions, please feel free to email me direct.

Roy

To be clear, I have not done any business with Mofoco. I have only seen feedback from others on here to include their feedback thread. I'm only suggesting to do your research on ANY engine builder or provider of parts or service.

As others have stated, there are PLENTY of feedback threads on this site on company's with no complaints or concerns mentioned. I personally don't like to gamble w/any vendor w/less (especially an engine) than an excellent feedback rating.

The internet provides excellent feedback as to how companies perform. There's a reason that Angie's List and other sites like it are becoming popular. It holds companies accountable for their business practices and lets the consumer have the best possible information on hand before spending their hard earned money with them.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Roy

To be clear, I have not done any business with Mofoco. I have only seen feedback from others on here to include their feedback thread. I'm only suggesting to do your research on ANY engine builder or provider of parts or service.

As others have stated, there are PLENTY of feedback threads on this site on company's with no complaints or concerns mentioned. I personally don't like to gamble w/any vendor w/less (especially an engine) than an excellent feedback rating.

The internet provides excellent feedback as to how companies perform. There's a reason that Angie's List and other sites like it are becoming popular. It holds companies accountable for their business practices and lets the consumer have the best possible information on hand before spending their hard earned money with them.

Really not trying to get in a pissing match but I do have one question and am very interested in what your response is. Who or what holds the people who are leaving the feedback accountable for telling the truth?

Ever heard the joke, "I read it on the internet so it MUST be true."

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="[email protected]"]Who or what holds the people who are leaving the feedback accountable for telling the truth?{/quote]

Nothing.... you have to take everything posted with a grain of salt.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Zsa_Ra79vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: effects to car value Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the great advise. Now one more question.
I already changed the color of my car. It used to be white/ white/ white. it is a fuel injected 79 convertible. If I plug a new motor in, I will get rid of the fuel injection. Stupid idea? What will that do to the value of my car?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:

Wink

Yeah-- we all know how that turned out. Neutral

Still....

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: effects to car value Reply with quote

Zsa_Ra79vert wrote:
I already changed the color of my car. It used to be white/ white/ white. it is a fuel injected 79 convertible. If I plug a new motor in, I will get rid of the fuel injection. Stupid idea? What will that do to the value of my car?

If it was mine, I'd absolutely keep it stock and leave the fuel injection in the car. VW's are MUCH more desirable in stock form with all the original items they came from the factory with.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Roy

Really not trying to get in a pissing match but I do have one question and am very interested in what your response is. Who or what holds the people who are leaving the feedback accountable for telling the truth?

Ever heard the joke, "I read it on the internet so it MUST be true."

I'm not trying to get in a debate either Roy. Clearly people are smart enough to filter through the feedback and make there own, informed opinions.

No, I don't believe everyone tells the whole truth, all the time. I also know that people don't always take the time to post a positive remark when they are satisfied with a transaction but will take the time when they get upset w/a company. I do believe you see trends and short comings in a business when many different people complain of the same things or frustrations. It demonstrates a pattern

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: effects to car value Reply with quote

Zsa_Ra79vert wrote:

Automobiles are no different than anything else in regards to modifying or altering antiques or collector items. Well preserved originals always bring more come resale time. Back when I was first getting into the VW scene people were still cutting up oval window bugs to make baja bugs. Unless your car is pretty rough, rusty, missing parts in which case it might be too expensive to return to original that would justify making those mods just to have a functional car.fuel injected cars ran better and got better gas mileage than non FI dual ports. But who cares? Paint it titty pink and put big motor in it. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: