Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting distributor to spark plugs??, 1971 transporter
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Connecting distributor to spark plugs??, 1971 transporter Reply with quote

Hey, so I did a dumb thing and didn't take note of which spark plug connector went to which position on the distributor cap when I removed the distributor and cleaned it.

The center connector I know comes from the coil, and then according to my manual, spark plug #1 connects to the front right connector on the distributor cap (front being closer to you), and #2, #3 & #4 plugs connect around the distributor cap counter-clockwise from there. But I don't know which spark plug is #1, #2, #3, & #4.

Does anyone understand this question and know which spark plug connects where on the distributor cap??

I have a 1971 transporter, all original engine parts. There are 2 spark plugs, front (closest to you) and back, on left and right sides of the engine. Do you know which is #1-#4??

Thank you so much!!

-Aaron
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly there are no quarantees that your distributor is installed correctly, to be sure you have the right wire leading to the right cylinder remove #1 spark plug (RF) and turn the engine in running direction with a wrench on the generator nut while you have a finger in #1 spark plug hole, when you feel compression on your finger slow down and watch for the timing marks on the pulley and stop there. Then remove the distributor cap and see where the rotor points, put the wire for #1 in that hole and arrange the rest from there in a CCW order 1-4-3-2.
Edit:, sorry, Clockwise, brain fart.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Evilrift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dealing with this right now in a 78, not sure if its the same.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598876&start=40
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Busdaddy, thanks so much!! Does that mean that I can safely assume that the spark plugs are in this order: ?

Front Right = #1 spark plug
Back Right = #2
Back Left = #3
Front Left = #4

??
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mysterious shut down months ago, where the engine just turned off going down the street, and has never started up again, so I've been running thru the whole ignition system trying to find the problem, and I'm totally new and inexperienced with how all these things work, so I'm very thankful for your help. I'm not actually sure if the distributor went back in the exact same position, so when I buy new spark plugs, I will try out your compression technique.

I'm about to try and see if I get a spark when holding the center connector coming from the coil near some grounded metal...my John Muir book says if it doesn't spark, then the coil needs replacing. I'm just waiting for my wife to come home so she can turn the key for me. Then at least I'd have one less thing to check. My starter seems to run just fine, lots of power, and the battery is fine and fully charged. My friend thinks it's my solenoid, but the thing is hard to find and get to without a buddy helping me jack the car up and stuff.

When the car initially shut down, I noticed the voltage dial on my dashboard stopped registering anything, like it used to when the key would be turned to "on".
People suggested checking my points, which is why I removed my distributor and took it to the auto shop to have it looked at. They said it looks fine, but to check the coil first.

I mention all of this because when I reinstalled the distributor today, connected everything back up, and turned the key, I noticed the voltage dial was working again, and suddenly I could hear the engine trying to turn over, which it wasn't before. Before, all that I'd hear would be the starter going, but the engine wouldn't turn or try to start. Earlier today, however, once the voltage dial was working again, I could hear it turning a little, and then slowing down/struggling to turnover, until I heard a very loud pop, which I think was the system backfiring, which my book told me could do with crossing the spark plug connectors. But i realize it could also be a number of other things, like my timing, or coil or solenoid, or even just the wires coming from and to all those components, so I sometimes feel pretty stuck, not knowing where to look next.

The last point i want to make is, after the loud pop, and I turned the key off. I then noticed the voltage dial was no longer working, again, and now it's back to the beginning, just the starter runs, nothing else....

CONFUSED OVER HERE!! I hope this isn't too much info for y'all to grasp, but I'm learning quickly that most of you know what I'm talking about much more than I do, so I really thank you and appreciate your help.

I will answer any questions I can. I'd love to get my classic vw mechanic to take a look at it, but I'm totally broke and a number of towns over, so I've been trying to figure this out myself on a very limited budget. As a result, the bus has been sitting dead for 4 months.
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the voltage dial was working again today, however briefly, this is more-or-less what the engine was sounding like....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qKULVz9h8
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saulypants wrote:
Hey Busdaddy, thanks so much!! Does that mean that I can safely assume that the spark plugs are in this order: ?

Front Right = #1 spark plug
Back Right = #2
Back Left = #3
Front Left = #4

??

You can't "safely assume" anything, there's many ways the distributor drive can be installed and 2 different TDC's when looking at the pulley. You must find #1 TDC before you do anything else, after that the cylinder numbers are stamped into the tin near the plugs (RF=1, RR=2, LF=3 & LR=4), Tcash posted a drawing with the cylinder layout in that linked thread.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there EvilRift! Thank you so much for this link, that's all very much the kind of stuff I'm trying to fix.

I'm just curious, because busdaddy said spark plug #1 was in Front Right location on the engine, that seems backwards from the two diagrams on your link....so I'm wondering what the correct layout is, as was mentioned above in my followup question to busdaddy.

Still, thank you for your help with this, it gives me much more to check out, and is easier to comprehend than the manual is, with the notches and such.
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, cool, thanks BusDaddy!
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"after that the cylinder numbers are stamped into the tin near the plugs (RF=1, RR=2, LF=3 & LR=4), Tcash posted a drawing with the cylinder layout"

Hey BusDaddy, one more question, I'm just trying to understand what you just mentioned, and it seems to read a little differently than the drawing in that link...

The drawing is telling me "RR=1, RF=2, LR=3, LF=4 for the engine...
And the distributor cap drawing is #1 in RF, going around CC from there.

Is there where the different TDCs come in? And i think that stands for Top Down Center, correct?

And the "tin near the plugs", are you referring to the distributor cap, or that the numbers are stamped down around the actual spark plugs?

I don't have all my names for things in order, so thanks for your patience, and Thanks for clarifying. I'm thinking the "cylinders" are the part of the distributor cap that takes in the spark plug cable connectors, correct or no?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a picture. If you look at the cylinder tins that the fan shroud sits on, there's large numbers stamped in the cylinder tins that label each cylinder. Example 1. #1 is the right rear cylinder looking at the engine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saulypants wrote:
Hey BusDaddy, one more question, I'm just trying to understand what you just mentioned, and it seems to read a little differently than the drawing in that link...

The drawing is telling me "RR=1, RF=2, LR=3, LF=4 for the engine...
And the distributor cap drawing is #1 in RF, going around CC from there.

That's the holes in the distributor cap, until you determine where the rotor points at #1 TDC that may or may not be accurate. The upper part of the drawing shows the cylinder layout.

Saulypants wrote:
Is there where the different TDCs come in? And i think that stands for Top Down Center, correct?

Top Dead Center, the location through the rotation of the engine cycle where the piston is at the top of it's stroke and the valves are both closed, it's when the fuel/air mixture is compressed and ready to be lit by a spark.

Saulypants wrote:
And the "tin near the plugs", are you referring to the distributor cap, or that the numbers are stamped down around the actual spark plugs?
The numbers beside the plugs.

Saulypants wrote:
I don't have all my names for things in order, so thanks for your patience, and Thanks for clarifying. I'm thinking the "cylinders" are the part of the distributor cap that takes in the spark plug cable connectors, correct or no?

Cylinders are the parts down under the tin with the fins on them that the spark plugs screw into.

Слава Україні!
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69, you rock! Thank you!!
Saulypants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok BusDaddy, you're the best, thank you for clarifying everything for me!! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and respond!

And since you wrote that, I successfully tested the coil and it seems like one less thing for me to worry about! Smile Smile

Take care!

aaron
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saulypants, check the FAQ's, especially the stuff regarding distb. removal and replacement. You have to find TDC for #1 cylinder on compression stroke before you go about re-connecting plug wires, then orient your distb so that that rotor points to the #1 wire. You may have put the distb. back in 180 out. What ever you do, don't roll the engine over with distb. removed or you will dislodge the drive gear.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do as Busdaddy recommended remove the #1 plug (right front as it sits in the car) and seal the spark plug hole with your finger to determine when you are at TDC. Then attach the wire that goes to the #1 plug to the terminal on the distributor cap the rotor is pointing at.

Next time you need to pull the distributor, just remove the cap with all the wires attached and leave it laying off to the side at bit. They you will not have to go through this again.
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDC=Top Dead Center
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: