Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first attempt at lead filler
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlesurfs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: My first attempt at lead filler Reply with quote

First ever attemp at lead filler...

I ordered some tinning butter and 70/30 lead- tin from eastwood. I Took an old fan shroud and filled the heater ducts. First I tig welded them then I tinned them and coated them with lead. There is definitely a learning curve. I still have some filling to do but I like the lead a lot. I was practicing for my thing fan shroud for the notch project. I want it perfectly smooth and powder cited mirror black. Gonna use lead on a lot of stuff from now on!

Anybody have any tips, tricks or advice. Any good stories or pics of using lead on a project?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will just be getting into body solder work in the next couple month. Did some practicing last year....as you noted....a definite learning curve but not that bad compared to the benefits.....which are much better long term adhesion of filler and no rusting in the long term as compared to poyester body fillers. I was also working with Eastwood products. Excellent quality.

One question. Why did you choose the 70/30 product....as compared to say the lead free product? And if you are not using lead free.....please use proper protection when sanding. I have had lead poisoning before. Its no joke.
Thanks for your opinion. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to attend a seminar/class at my work with Car Customizer, Gene Winfield. He has an excellent instructional video on lead work. The proper tools, materials, and prep are all extremely important in the difference of making your job go well, or having a bunch of lead slag on the floor. Gene likes the lead solder, as opposed to the lead free. And yes, the fumes from tinning the panel to prep for the solder, and the shavings/dust aren't real healthy to be exposed to, but with Gene being in his late 80's, they must not be too bad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: