Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A General Question About Keeping a Car Original
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Period or era-correct is the next best thing to original when a car is not original any more Cool
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
shortride wrote:
hitest wrote:
Your car, though really nice, is no longer original- nor will it ever be. Similarly, there's no such thing as "restored original." Only restored-stock.

That said, If painting the car black will help you enjoy this already unoriginal car more- do it! If white floats your boat- keep it. Black bugs are far more rare- and timeless. I say paint it again- but take out the windows, soldier!

That why I also used the term "period correct." Which is a more appropriate way to describe my car.

Well crap, if the emphasis was on "period correct" we could have had this thread buttoned up in a couple posts. Now we've got to start all over again. Okay, we're on 'period correct' people- try and keep up! Wink

Yep,every 28 days,right as rain..what get me is how can a living thing bleed for three days and not die..
hoghead5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it depends on the owner of the car. some people like the "original look", some like slight modifications, some go wild. it's all in the eye of the beholder.

a couple things i personally find sad is when somebody takes a rare car (think split bug or oval rag) and makes a full blown custom out of it. hacking the body, chopping the tops, and so on. if you want to do this, find a "normal" bug and do that.

another thing is when people find a "normal" bug and worry to death about the "non original" parts.

i prefer to drive my cars. i want them reliable and safe to drive. i run radial tires, bigger motor, disc brakes, and so on.

as for "shortride" i would leave your car cosmetically alone. now an upgrade to disc brakes on the front, sure. upgrade the motor to alternator, doghouse cooling, and such, sure. if you want to repaint the car, go for it.

no disrespect to you (or anybody else driving a vw for that matter) but a 66 bug is NOT a rare car, so do what makes you happy and drive it!!

i measured once, cut it three times, and the damn thing is STILL to short!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: