Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Birth certificate anomalies?
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Birth certificate anomalies? Reply with quote

I just received my birth certificates back from Volkswagen (only took 5 months Wink )
Both my 52 samba and 51 are listed as;

'24 A, VW Micro Bus De Luxe'

I had a previous birth certificate for the 52, but did it again as it was in someone else's name. But that said;

'24 A, VW-Eight seater with sunroof'

I would have expected a '24 G' not A Question And at least some consistency with 2 certificates for the same chassis number Exclamation Confused

I also received a letter saying;

'The engine number you specified does not correspond to your vehicle's original engine'.
Which I was surprised to hear as it's on the original bill of sale from the dealership listed on the certificate!

But lastly and weirdest of all is my 51 Samba 20-017 894 has a 'built on' date of 7 November 1951. Shocked Shocked
But the last bus supposedly built in October 51 was 20-018 355. Loads latter Exclamation Exclamation Question Question Shocked

Anyone any ideas?
Are the certificates not always accurate?
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you about the built date. The built date is the day the car pass the last quality control before shipment, not the day it went off the line. So if the car has been hold back for some reason (e.g. display, test, quality glips), you will get "wrong" date.

My oval has a chassi that tells it is made 4. august 1955 as the # 30 56 year model, but it didnt pass last control before the 31. august. So it might be it has been used for something at the 5. august (celebration of the # 1 million vw).

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
SplitBusFan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 months? And I thought that was only happening with me. This delay is unacceptable. Volkswagen should compensate costumers for this. It's a paper not a brand new car with weird extras and gadgets.
1963 Type 21 (sold)
1965 Type 21 June
1965 Type 21 November, (sold)
1978 Type 23
1986 T25 Doka
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurboedWestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SplitBusFan wrote:
5 months? And I thought that was only happening with me. This delay is unacceptable. Volkswagen should compensate costumers for this. It's a paper not a brand new car with weird extras and gadgets.
I,d cut VW some slack. The fact that they can provide birth certs at all surely should be applauded. I,m surprised they keep records as far back as they do . What actual purpose does it serve to VW to keep records for 60+ year's?
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
I can tell you about the built date. The built date is the day the car pass the last quality control before shipment, not the day it went off the line. So if the car has been hold back for some reason (e.g. display, test, quality glips), you will get "wrong" date.

My oval has a chassi that tells it is made 4. august 1955 as the # 30 56 year model, but it didnt pass last control before the 31. august. So it might be it has been used for something at the 5. august (celebration of the # 1 million vw).

I was guessing something along these lines. Being virtually a prototype I imagine it took them a while to get to the finished piece.
Was the chassis stamped with the vin number early in production, when the chassis was first built? Question

As for the type number being 24A and not G, what do other pre53 sambas have on their vin plates (can't access mine right now)? Question
Is it possible pre53 sambas have a 24A type number? I believe pre53 sambas started life as 24A sunroof 11 window and the extra windows were cut and beat in.
Mr. Oizo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SplitBusFan wrote:

I've asked them why it was taking so long for my birth certificate.
It seems there are only 2 workers left for the investigation in the VW archive.
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 54 truck and 54 deluxe were maybe 80 chassis numbers apart, but both certificates show dates 3 weeks apart. I think the fancy busses took more time to put together at the time Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: