Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 15 window Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have given him some money for the bus than agree to re-paint it in what was cool in 1987.

Honestly, I could see those colors at that time being awesome and totally tubular, like omy gawd! But now I would want to re-do it in a more stock style. Cause it's not the eighties anymore and times and tastes have moved on.
Are you going to wear OP shorts and Vans shoes, too? Feathered hair? Girls wore legwarmers in the eighties. Laughing Guys wore those 501s cut off shorts. Not the long baggy shorts guys wear today.
I've often thought I should get dressed up in the style of back in the day when I bring a car to a show. Wait till I get the 56 back from the paint shop. Though I'm thinking early 60s with the beehive hairdos and the go-go boots like early Star Trek would be more fun than 1956.

Anyhow, back to Plum Crazy! It sounds like that's the colour you want to paint it.
A friend of mine painted his Chevy? van Plum Crazy back in the eighties. He still sounds happy about that color, even though the van is long gone.

15 window buses are awesome. Do you have some old pics from back in the day?
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting the colors have something to do with a college from K- ansas, K- state?? Smile Good luck with the build, don't worry about the color, its your money, but...... I would paint it another color, but I've made wrong choices before, mabe not Confused just get it drivable is the main thing, the color will work itself out, it will tell you what color it wants to be, just listen weedhopper.

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baytown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plum crazy purple looks really good against the white and chrome. My dads restored gasser drag bug is plum crazy with white lettering. Wish we lived closer to get a pic when your bus is done.
joetrike13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a update on the bus. I pulled the original transmission out and come to find out its not the original. At some point before my dad bought in 87 someone swapped it out. Will post pics of it when I get back home. Business trips keep me from working on it during the week. The interior is will be white. Now all the seats and panels will probably be grey. That way if I EVER sell her then the new owner Can change the color of the out side. This bus will be passed down just like the 61 single cab I have. I'm not much of a person to go back to the OG colors. I'm not really a fan of the sealing wax red and the beige grey color.
joetrike13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the purple is not for K-state. I'm originally from Oklahoma. I just live in Kansas now. Purple was my mom's favorite color.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
joetrike13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

no havent been working on the bus as work picked up alot last year. i decided to put the bus on the back burner as it needs alot of work right now so i decided to bring my 61 single cab out of storage and get it going as it needs way less work and will be on the road in the next 2 months.
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

Do you have a build thread on the '61 SC? Post up some photos of it while your 15 window is on the back burner....

Pretty please Very Happy
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

Nice 15 window !! Good save , love the Family history, I noticed 75% of the post are about the paint, please paint it what ever color pleases you.......

Just don't lower it !!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good luck w/ the Bus, and yea, how about some Singlecab Pics ....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

That looks like a great bus to start with, congratulations. All the history and everything that goes along with it is very cool.

As for the paint, you should paint it however you want. I don't think every bus needs to be done in original colors (although the current tendency to do so is a good thing). That being said I find it a little strange that the family friend required you to paint it in those particular colors. It is your family's bus, not his. That is your family who it's a tribute to, you should do what you want with it. All he did was store it as a favor from what it sounds like.

I mean no disrespect whatsoever and I'm wasn't there so take my post with a grain of salt. You did make an agreement and that does count for something.

I would also keep it stock height but again, it's your bus.

Either way, 15 windows are awesome and this one is going to be a ton of fun no matter how you do it.
joetrike13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

Its been a while and the 15 window is still on the back burner as im trying to learn how to weld and when i get time i enjoy taking the single cab to local car shows now that its done for the time being. I as soon as i get more time home this fall then i will try to get back on the bus. Its a little to late on the lowering part. I already did the back with a Bus Boys type 1 IRS kit. I do not plan on slamming it. i will only lower it like 3.5" as i plan on driving the wheels off of it. kinda like i do with my single cab. the pics of the single cab in grey is what it looks like now

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

Any updates?
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2121194
So.Cal Danny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

Sucks it’s being sold I would keep that bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetrike13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 15 window Build Reply with quote

i sold the bus to fund a building to put all my cars in. i only had a 2 car garage and needed space to work so i ended up selling it. i wish i would have kept it but it ended up in the hands of a guy in Colorado that is restoring her.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: