Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SCAT 4340 Forged Crankshaft VS. DMS/DPR Crank
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: SCAT 4340 Forged Crankshaft VS. DMS/DPR Crank Reply with quote

Due to the lack of quality metals being used in today's crankshafts, I've always used cut German cranks which have had counter weights added/balanced however I just noticed this SCAT 4340 Forged Crank is USA made, which definitely strikes my interest. Opinions on which will be higher quality?

http://shop.kaddieshack.com/SCAT-4340-Forged-Count...ScatVW.htm
257scramjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run the DMS crankshafts for a long time and they are great. Try the race weight or the full race weight and you will love it. I know the china cranks can be advertised made in USA as long as the crankshafts are finished ground here in the USA! Don't ask me how i know. All of the crankshafts will work good for ya. But If you want a True made in the USA crank go with DMS or DPR
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where a crank is made does not guarantee any level of quality. The China cranks are plenty strong enough for a 200 HP engine.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both good.
Only difference IMO is If/when you lose a bearing the mild steel crank can be repaired but a 4340 crank usually cracks.
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, when I called Scat to ask why my crank was taking long to deliver, the guy on the phone said they were in full production for the Nascar season and giving them priority over everyone else. I didn't mind waiting in line because I knew I was getting a fresh one out of the oven.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Where a crank is made does not guarantee any level of quality. The China cranks are plenty strong enough for a 200 HP engine.

I agree although I selectively wont use a forged china crank over 160/170 hp because at that level, your better off buying a high quality crank anyway. Like scat, dpr, or dms. Trends have shown that cb, revmaster, and bugpack cranks are up to the task. I have not used any of them to date. I do have a bugpack at home in a box and it does look like quality.

I use both cranks in my personal engines. Scat 4340 forged cranks are sexiness. And dpr cranks are a work of beauty. When it comes down to choosing, it would depend on the price of the scat crank. Using either is a no fail outcome.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont waste my $$$ on another welded crank.but thats me.I do have over 100000 miles on a scat stroker crank,still std, 12 years old. as for the welded stroker I bought new... well it's still on the shelf.I have 2 china cranks,(84&86)they seem to be fine.(havent used the 86 mm yet.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Scat Cranks that are made in the USA are their Billet Flanged, and Pro-Comp Ones. The Volksracer's are not. In Scat's Catalog, the Flanged/Pro-Comp Cranks have next to them "made in house", while the Volksracer Cranks do not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forged in china and finish machined in USA is made where?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it when they say "made in the usa from global components"
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two scat cranks I laid eyes on were in three parts, soon to be four: Both cracked at less than 30,000km. No motorsport.

There is a lot to be said for the quality of a competently welded/counterweighted factory VW forged crank.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft origin Reply with quote

257scramjet wrote:
If you want a True made in the USA crank go with DMS or DPR

I've also run DMS before, and they were made from German cores.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
257scramjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft origin Reply with quote

Yes the german core is top quality!!!

neil68 wrote:
257scramjet wrote:
If you want a True made in the USA crank go with DMS or DPR

I've also run DMS before, and they were made from German cores.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
The last two scat cranks I laid eyes on were in three parts, soon to be four: Both cracked at less than 30,000km. No motorsport.

There is a lot to be said for the quality of a competently welded/counterweighted factory VW forged crank.
Ive seen morons that could break a rubber hammer with a rubber anvil on a rubber table in a rubber room.there is a lot to be said for good workmanship after the parts are bought&before there assembled.even the "exsperts" can effup good parts.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
VWCOOL wrote:

Ive seen morons that could break a rubber hammer with a rubber anvil on a rubber table in a rubber room.there is a lot to be said for good workmanship after the parts are bought&before there assembled.even the "exsperts" can effup good parts.

yeah you are absolutely right.

Both cranks were in those 'turn-key 0000 mile' engines you see advertised in the magazines. It was real shame for the owner of these engines as both vehicles were used in his business - in fact they WERE his business - so the downtime cost him real money as well as the repair costs

Both engines were the same age and imported to Oz at the same time so maybe it was simply a 'bad day at the pickle factory'...

Last edited by VWCOOL on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've seen that happen.
The majority of china cranks ARE good, but when it comes to ME putting one in an engine I just have a hard time doing it. If I can get a old welded crank and it MAGs good then I don't have any worries.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys do know that the majority of the crank forgings are coming from the same place right? So no matter who you buy from, the new forgings are likely all the same as far as China cranks go. Mine has taking a beatings in my 1915 turbo for many years, I see no reason not to trust them. I'd trust one long before a welded counterweight crank.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say 'many years' Miniman... but what distance?

The broken cranks I referred to were 30,000km (broken) and 28,000km (cracked and about to let-go)

If yours is years old it may be built to a higher quality level than today's junk built for people who - sadly - value dollars over quality.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never really changed that I'm aware of. All the way back to berg/okrassa/whitfield

Shorter strokes always last longer then the long ones (82+).
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 3 welded cranks I have had my hands on all had issues,bad issues from the prosess,not from usage. one was a true work of art with fullcircle weights,it sure was purty...but it was shit as far as Im concerned as it was used but a big name builder.then came to me after about 800 miles....in a bunch of boxes.but the entire thing was a effing mess not just the crank,but it had welding& machining issues. the other two had machining issues too. I just dont see any reason to use one,none at all.but yes they work even the effed up ones worked....or did they???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: