Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro locker transaxle question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Syncro locker transaxle question Reply with quote

For the locker transaxle gurus Very Happy

I've got a transaxle with a bit of wear on the input shaft caused by a bad flywheel pilot bearing.

I have a good input shaft in my spares that I'm thinking of swapping in to replace the worn one. I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the engine end of the input shaft without pulling the diff.

Specifically, is there enough room by the diff (locker model) to slide the splined sleeve and unthread the flywheel end of the input shaft?

I'm on the fence about doing the job as the wear is not too bad, and I don't mind pulling the bell housing if I can leave the diff in place to do the swap.

Thanks
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diff doesn't have to be removed, but you'll have to remove the flanges, loosen the left hand side adjuster, and remove the plastic vacuum lock actuator so that the diff can be moved to the left/down a bit.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
The diff doesn't have to be removed, but you'll have to remove the flanges, loosen the left hand side adjuster, and remove the plastic vacuum lock actuator so that the diff can be moved to the left/down a bit.

Perfect, thanks Gears!

cheers,

Jay
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:

What he said......

Only thing is the diff bearing carrier may require a special tools if it
happened to be very tight. I've been able to remove about 1/2 of all these
without the tool, but as old as these things are I would not count on it.
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:

...worked perfectly, reassembled and now in the doka.

On initial removal of the bellhousing I found that the crank end of the input shaft was slightly loose at the spline sleeve where it threaded in. On reassembly I was able to snug it on the thread without much effort before sliding the splined sleeve back in place.

This leaves me wondering why or how the shaft came to be threaded on loosely. Was it possibly done this way intentionally during initial assembly or did the threads somehow wear (they didn't appear to have any unusual wear and the stud was tight in the gearbox end of the shaft).

I had driven this transaxle and removed it from my parts van myself. It drove and shifted flawlessly, with no main bearing noise whatsoever. The input shaft needle bearing (from what I can see of it) looks tight as well.

thoughts?

cheers and thanks,

Jay

http://88syncrodoka.blogspot.com/
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Central:

Sorry to bear bad news, but the input shaft is not supposed to be threaded tightly to the shaft it mates to. The alignment along the input shaft to the pilot bearing is not a matter of scientific precision, which is why there is some designed-in clearance, both at the point where the two shafts meet, and also clearance in the sleeve itself.

The problem that can arise is that the stud can break and then allow the input shaft to move.

At least, this is what Daryl Christiansen told me way back when I installed my Smallcar bellhousing.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Hey Central:

Sorry to bear bad news, but the input shaft is not supposed to be threaded tightly to the shaft it mates to. The alignment along the input shaft to the pilot bearing is not a matter of scientific precision, which is why there is some designed-in clearance, both at the point where the two shafts meet, and also clearance in the sleeve itself.

The problem that can arise is that the stud can break and then allow the input shaft to move.

At least, this is what Daryl Christiansen told me way back when I installed my Smallcar bellhousing.

FYI, the SC bellhousing has been updated and is a much, much better design now.
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Hey Central:

LOL, bad news better now than later!

Thanks Howe, I was wondering about that very thing. It seemed really loose when I first pulled it apart (to the point that it was able to stretch the seal at the oil slinger; so probably 2 splines away from tight). When I put it back together I still had to leave a bit of play at the thread ("snug" was a bad choice of word) when sliding the sleeve back on. I don't think the stud will take any significant load from the way I've got it now.

For reference and to be sure, I made a quick video clip of the play left in the shaft after I put it all back together. Its a lot less than it was and I'm hoping it will be adequate for any lateral movement from the flywheel or caused by clutch application. I'll show it to a friend who has a lot of experience with these and get his opinion. Fingers crossed it won't have to come back out.

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quill shaft is supposed to be loose. If you tightened it, I would strongly suggest you do the job over, and back off at least 3 splines from snug.

Owning a Bentley manual can save you a lot of time in the long run.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
The quill shaft is supposed to be loose. If you tightened it, I would strongly suggest you do the job over, and back off at least 3 splines from snug.

Owning a Bentley manual can save you a lot of time in the long run.

Thanks to both of you for this. Another late night in the shop!

cheers,

J

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT reuse the flange circlips. A new one is installed by first expanding it just enough to get it onto the end of the stub axle, and then whacking it home with a hammer and socket (or sleeve) that's just barely large enough to fit over the stub axle. The squarely struck socket momentarily compresses the Belleville washer enough to allow the circlip to pop into the groove.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are supposed to back it off a bit after it snugs down on the threaded stud. Various places in the Bentley mention this.

35.5a
35.65a
35.94 Syncro

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: