Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many miles from a Richmond, T1, 4.86 Gear?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: How many miles from a Richmond, T1, 4.86 Gear? Reply with quote

This will be in a swing axle, mostly street driven (with some dune running) Baja.
The engine is a stock, T4, 2 liter that runs fine and I have no intention of changing it.
I know the 4.86 is inherently weaker, but I am not an abusive driver and I like how it keeps my engine in it's sweet spot.
I understand that the 4.86 is made from 9310 steel, which is slightly "softer" than a normal, street, gear set. This to compensate for the tiny pinion tooth configuration and give it better shock resistance.
What I wonder is: How many street miles can I expect from a properly set up gear set?
I have heard horror stories of just a couple thousand miles.
I don't mean breakage, just wear.
Should I just expect to replace it regularly, like I would for a racing/competition, preventative maintenance situation?
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a 4:37 8 bolt? unless you already have the 4:86, I have never broken a 4:37 but I have a 4:86. Is it just because of the gearing you need? I still believe a 4:86 in a swing axle is risky for longevity many people would say the same about a 4:37 but It probably depends on the make and quality of the 4:86 if your not hard on it. It being in a Baja and playing in the sand at all might shorten the life of it. You can always used close ratios with a stronger ratio R&P to get where you need unless first and second are too tall for you then go 4:86. Lots of options if you have flexability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to use the 4.86 because I got a good deal on the 4.86 and I want to keep the driveline as simple as practical. Thus no Bus trans or IRS conversion. As in any driveline, doing the gear reduction with the r&p takes a tremendous strain off the transmission and makes the driveline more efficient.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pinion may be some grade of 9310, but the ring gear would most certainly be 8620. IF the R&P is set up precisely, and IF the pinion is from an OK heat treatment batch, you should get reasonable service from a NEW Richmond 4.86.

You really should save up to install a REBUILT '75 Pyramid case bus box. JMO
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: