Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 21 window build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Can you elaborate on the phrase "4 lug drums drilled to Porsche pattern" please. I've never heard of this drum drilling. Are the drums the wheels or brake drums? Pretty clueless over here!
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear brake drums are for the 1968 bug transaxle, they were drilled to a 5 lug Porsche pattern and studs were installed, that way no adapters were needed to use the fuchs. Most machine shops can drill out your drums to fit other lug patterns as long as there is enough area, my Baja bug has jeep/ford pattern on the disc brake rotors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Thank You. Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I learn something new every time I get on the site.
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: beam out Reply with quote

got the beam out, started the clean up underneath. wire wheel/ air sander, cleaned up pretty good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: rust treatment and paint Reply with quote

twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the beam disassembled, rusty greasy nasty, shock collars were rusted onto the trailing arm shock mount, heat and pb blaster to get them off, degreased and painted the trailing arms today. still have to clean cut and drill the spring pack for the beam.
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: a little before and after Reply with quote

wired wheeled, air sander, rust converter, primer and paint, a lot of work for parts you wont see unless you lay under the bus

next is the spindles
maddog125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those innards are cleaning up real nice! Are you planning on leaving that og swr untouched?

Those first pics of your bus reminds me of a 23 I saw cruising around San Fran a few months back (maybe someone knows whose it is):
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripping it back to OG paint and trying to blend in the bad areas, that's my plan.
maddog125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the spindles cleaned flipped and painted
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little more work today, nasty greasy spring pack removed and cleaned, still need to drill the holes for the grub nuts and cut the spring pack to legnth

we finally got RAIN!!! had to pack up everything and get it in the garage fast
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it on all 4's again, still more to do, I have to run the hard lines for the brakes, m/c and im sure another dozen things before a test drive

G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the garage, all 4 up off the ground, did the axle boots, throttle cable, clutch cable and M/C, now on to the hard brake lines, this bus is rusty underneath and I didn't like how the brake lines looked, they had clean fluid in them, looks like a brake job was done right before it got parked. All new brake components front to back now.
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new rear brake lines were to short, had to find a set off a donor bug, new parts for vw's are hard to find in a small town. The axle tube boots I got from cip1 were fine but the hose clamps were junk, the nut and bolt package was missing 1 washer and the nuts wouldn't fit into my nut driver, Little things just slow me down and piss me off, the boot kit said made in Germany. just saying, put the m/c in, ran all the new hard lines (pain in the ass bending the lines, not like I do this all the time, realized I didn't have the soft lines for the front so had to go get them couple towns over, tightened everything up, hope it doesn't leak
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas tank in, now onto the electrical, its a mess and wiring is not my friend. Funny thing is by trade I was a electronic/electro mechanical tech. auto electric seems over engineered to me,

twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the stationary glass and jail bars in today, took off some more primer and horrid red oxide paint, exhaust showed up today with some other small parts, ordered EIS front safaris today also, another Grand this month into it.
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: 64 21 window build Reply with quote

Safaris showed up today, I had to clean up around the windows before they go in, did a little more work on the nasty oxide red paint on the front roof section, I think it looks better.

twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: 64 21 window build Reply with quote

finished up the safari's, im happy with them, will be ordering wolfgang seals, eis seals don't let the window close all the way easily, I was worried the glass was going to break. couldn't blend the paint around the front windows as well as I would of liked to, had to just use primer, looks good enough for me, now onto the engine. I got the starter hooked up to the key on the first leg of the electrical chaos .

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: