Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refitting Body To Chassis Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Refitting Body To Chassis Question Reply with quote

I have a 56 oval body... the motor on the chassis is a 1641cc. It looks to me that myself and 3 buddies should be able to drop the body onto the chassis with the motor already installed. It seems like it would even fit easier since I'm not separating the motor from the tranny creating the extra length.... Anybody do this? Problems experienced? Thanks... Jeff
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only done so with a stock engine and a convertible, just take off the air cleaner. The more room the easier to get it set.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Refitting Body To Chassis Question Reply with quote

JeffRens wrote:
I have a 56 oval body... the motor on the chassis is a 1641cc. It looks to me that myself and 3 buddies should be able to drop the body onto the chassis with the motor already installed. It seems like it would even fit easier since I'm not separating the motor from the tranny creating the extra length.... Anybody do this? Problems experienced? Thanks... Jeff

This will totally work. Personally the easiest way to do this is to make some really wide saw horses and roll the chassis underneath. I used to carefully put my body up on the saw horses all by myself so with another guy you are in business. I'd use decking screws to toe them into the floor so they wouldn't move.

Then again if you have 3 guys getting the ass end up high enough to clear the shroud should be cake.

Here is an example of my high saw horses I made.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Refitting Body To Chassis Question Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
JeffRens wrote:

This will totally work. Personally the easiest way to do this is to make some really wide saw horses and roll the chassis underneath. I used to carefully put my body up on the saw horses all by myself so with another guy you are in business. I'd use decking screws to toe them into the floor so they wouldn't move.

Then again if you have 3 guys getting the ass end up high enough to clear the shroud should be cake.

Here is an example of my high saw horses I made.

With 3 people and the motor in place should be a piece of cake! But you will probably have to finagle a bit around if it has the larger heater boxes maybe... When I did mine it was just my son and I and we just picked it up and moved it over and set it right down in one shot with minimal effort, though our motor wasn't installed and removed the shifter... When you put the body gasket on, after fitting & trimmeing them to fit I put a tiny bead of butyl sealant under it and then taped it for the night so it couldn't shift around or move in case it needed to be moved around... I highly recommend doing this, but DO NOT use silicone or polyurethane! Use butyl sealant only (butyl never really dries so it stays pliable, silicon & polyurethane will cure over night and can cause problems, if the sili or poly cure they will act like hard shims and won't crush. Butyl crushes real nice when you get to the torquing down the body bolts and will also be less likely to leak around pan edges too.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: