Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tig torch hand control opinions
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Tig torch hand control opinions Reply with quote

I'm planning on getting a tig welder in the near future and I don't think a foot controller is for me. I'm thinking a east/west finger type strapped to the torch would be the best but hand operated amp controls are not well liked. I don't see how a north/south rotary or a north/south slide switch would work.

Thanks for your expertise!
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: I need to weld and run. Reply with quote

Having to sit down to use a foot controller is a big change from using a mig. Tig users must all have a multi position welding table I would guess. Confused
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time I simply had a push button trigger on my torch that initiated gas flow, hf start. After you broke the arc, it ran post flow for the set time, then shut down until you pressed the button again. That was on an Airco / Miller HF unit. With steel, you don't always need heat control, although its preferable. You can use a foot pedal, in most situations, if you have a stool to sit on. You just need a couple of stools of varying height. Wouldn't work if you are on your belly or similar cramped quarters. One of the reasons I like Mig, for simplicity of operation.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question: Are the foot controllers spring loaded or can you move your foot off of it and keep the setting that it was on before moving your foot? Are the hand controllers spring loaded as well?

Thanks!

Last edited by theKbStockpiler on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Dump question: Are the foot controllers spring loaded or can you move your foot off of it and keep the setting that it was on before moving your foot? Are the hand controllers spring loaded as well?

Thanks!

Every one of the Tig units I've ever ran, shut off whenever you took your foot off of, or released the trigger on the hand held unit (tig torch). They're spring loaded to shut off the electrical supply.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the correct heat (amperage) at the power supply and simply run the torch without heat control. Once you get the setting figured out, its pretty easy to weld steel that way. It just takes a little longer to get the puddle started and you may have to push more filler in at the end of the bead to fill the puddle crater.
MetalWorx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everything, you need to get a feel for how each type of arc control works. All TIG foot pedals (that are in good working order) are spring loaded - think driving your car...
As far as hand controls, all that I have used are NOT spring loaded. Some are a rotary wheel, or slider, that you can modulate the amps, others are on/off and you set the amp at the welder. It all depends what you are welding as to what would work best. For out of position or awkward areas; if it is all the same gauge and gap, then a on/off hand switch would work fine. If you need to vary your heat thru the weld then the slider or wheel is best. If it is bench work I always use a foot pedal.
If I might ask what you are looking at(brand,type) for a TIG welder?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: thanks for all the replies! Reply with quote

Quote:
If I might ask what you are looking at(brand,type) for a TIG welder?

Well I wanted a htp 201 intertig but they only make a bigger version now and I don't think I will utilize with a base price of $2500 That leaves the thermalArc 186 and the Everlast 225lx. I have a well used Italian made century mig so I'm not totally paranoid about getting a non US made welder. I like the everlast interface and the reviews are good on it except for the supplied accessories. I could wait and see if the interTig 221 goes on sale but I really don't like the one knob interface on some of the tigs. I want to be able to do aluminum which makes the Hobart look too weak.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research on the t4 option but it looks like it is for production work and I'm assuming that most welders don't even use it and rely on a foot pedal.Is the t4 option mostly a gimmick?
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a t4 option?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually a 4t. Embarassed There is a up/down slope and start/end current switches on the pannel.http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig-inverter-settings-part3.html
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be handy.
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if this gives any ideas

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?79951-TIG-remote-DIY-config-ideas

DWP
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there is a decent market for a comforable hand-controller but making one, trying to see if a new chinesse tig is not defective and learning to tig weld are too much at once. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: