Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First drives after 6 years in storage
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: First drives after 6 years in storage Reply with quote

Here's my weekend fun. Got the car out of a 6 year slumber where I really just got it running once or twice a year. Threw some sea foam in the tank, scrubbed up the battery contacts and she drove just fine. I'm sure I'll have no mechanical problems related to the long storage whatsoever-HEY! No laughing! Smile

Fresh after a good wash:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I don't think they had wookies in mind when they designed her, Chewie"

What driving old VWs is all about: having a cute girl in the passenger's seat

Some day, Son. Some day ...

http://druckenghia.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful car. Looks like a great time.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you got it right...that's what it's all about. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrofive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Yep you got it right...that's what it's all about. Very Happy

And all this time I thought it was the hokey pokey. Laughing

My lil girl loves driving in the ghia. She's mad at me right since I haven't replaced the battery yet :doh:
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrofive wrote:

My lil girl loves driving in the ghia. She's mad at me right since I haven't replaced the battery yet :doh:

I'm surprised the battery is functioning as well as it is. I have been storing it with the negative ground still attached to the terminal. I guess I have no shorts in the electrical system (and no clock/light on the radio with the key out of the ignition) or something. The guy at my local hardware store just scrubbed the ports and when he ran a tester it was just a tad low from full charge.

Once I cleaned up the clamps and re-installed the battery it cranked away just fine. After 10 seconds of cranking to run the fuel pump she started just fine.

I'm sure the battery will need replacing pretty soon, though. Every once in a while I still get no response at all when I turn the key. Walk away from it for 5 minutes, try again and it's fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kmolenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see another nice Ghia in Mn! Not sure where wells is, but maybe we can meet up sometime at a show or something. But then there would be two ghias there and confuse the hell out of everyone.. Lol
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kmolenda wrote:
Glad to see another nice Ghia in Mn! Not sure where wells is, but maybe we can meet up sometime at a show or something. But then there would be two ghias there and confuse the hell out of everyone.. Lol

It's 20 miles west of Albert Lea and 38 miles south of Mankato. Or, think of a triangle made of of 'Kato, Albert Lea and Blue Earth and Wells is at the center.

There's a car show in Wells in mid August as part of the annual "Kernal Days" fair and I've never entered into one before but I just might for this one to celebrate getting her back.

I do know where Cottage Grove is. I bought this car from a guy in St. Paul when we lived right in Minneapolis' Central neighborhood. I gotta tell ya: Ghias in your neighborhood are far more common than down here! Very Happy

In other news: just successfully drove her to work in Waseca this morning (32 miles). Performed beautifully except for the high crosswinds. Funny how an old car like this even though it's small can feel like my 31' motor home in crosswinds.
chrismredsox1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with you about having your children and their friends enjoying the vintage rides together!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcombs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I agree, having your kids ride with you is the best.

Would you mind telling me about your side trim? I've never seen that style before. Was it something you added in place of the double spears?

Thanks,
Danny
Kmolenda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know where Wells is at now. I think I am the only one with a Ghia in CG, there are a couple in Woodbury that were up for sale last year, also are a few bugs running around, and a guy with some bugs and busses in hastings.. Glad to hear she is running good for ya. Mine sat for ten years and I had her back on the road in about a week. She hasn't let me down yet. I was pretty Leary of driving it because of the 1980 Sears tires that were on it, but a new set of Coker wide whites did the trick there. I've been driving all over the place. The kids love it. Better than my old 56' Chevy I had.. Lol
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to be back. I've been digging dirty oil out from under my fingernails today after putting a temporary bushing in to the lower connection on my front/driver's side shock. Smile I really need to get new shocks all around but at least now I don't hear that worrisome rattle every time I hit a bump.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcombs wrote:
Congrats! I agree, having your kids ride with you is the best.

Would you mind telling me about your side trim? I've never seen that style before. Was it something you added in place of the double spears?

Thanks,
Danny

Almost certainly aftermarket, but quite nice looking! Would've been some holes to get rid of.
Some discussion of side trims here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=563911&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: