Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying items in classified section
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunkdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Buying items in classified section Reply with quote

Hi guys im looking at a part in the classified section and the seller wants me to pay with a money order would you trust this? they say they dont have a Paypal so it has to be money order is there anyway to protect myself in this purchase?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't accept Paypal.

does the seller have a feedback topic?

Pay with a USPS Postal Money Order. If they don't send it, it's mail fraud and you can file a complaint with the USPS.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask for USPS money orders when the buyer has no feedback or not great feedback
paypal almost always sides with the buyer so USPS money order is a grat way for the seller to protect himself

only downfall with it is that there are a lot of flakes in the world so you might have to wait a week just to get someone to go get the MO, and send it Rolling Eyes

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
OldsCool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't accept PayPal either. Unfortunately PayPal makes it very easy for buyers to rip sellers off, so that's my personal reason for the choice. Your prospective seller's view on it may or may not be the same, but it wouldn't hurt to ask his/her reasoning behind the choice to not accept it because they may have a very legitimate reason for making that business decision. I only accept cash in person or USPS money orders. Unfortunately no one was willing to start a feedback thread for me after I've sold them items, even though I specifically asked them to give an honest review of our deal; nothing more, nothing less.

The only reason I say this is because

A: I'm an honest seller that also doesn't take PayPal
B: Just because the seller doesn't have a feedback thread doesn't mean they're dishonest.

Due diligence is your friend in these cases
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Pay with a USPS Postal Money Order. If they don't send it, it's mail fraud and you can file a complaint with the USPS.

This is basically the only protection.

In general problems are rare so I wouldn't be super concerned unless it's a ton of money.

If you PM me the seller's username or a link to the ad I may be able to give you more feedback.
There are a couple people on here that I know for a fact only take USPS money orders and nothing else. They are legitimate and most of them I have dealt with myself.

If you want to have more confidence in the transaction, get his phone # too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: