Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior completed!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djghia - magnifique!
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedot, you seem to like that MLV. How much did you need to do the car?

I want mine to be QUIET as well. As quiet as I can make it.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 3 rolls of the second skin. about 27sq ft.

Can't say enough about this soundproofing. It was so loud, resonating - it wore you out driving the ghia very far. A 2 hr trip was just way too much.

Now, it's so quiet you can have a conversation with the top down without raising your voice at 60mph. Crazy what this stuff does!
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:

Can't say enough about this soundproofing. It was so loud, resonating - it wore you out driving the ghia very far. A 2 hr trip was just way too much.

Now, it's so quiet you can have a conversation with the top down without raising your voice at 60mph. Crazy what this stuff does!

So, I'm clear, you did Dynamat first, and then the vinyl stuff, and then the carpet over that? And you glued the carpet to the vinyl...correct?

Thanks!
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior completed! Reply with quote

We live a sweet life... Very Happy
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would so paint that car.
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that yours is a '62, so is mine! If you need any pictures of a particular area let me know. I have added the chrome trim strips to my door panels since the pictures I posted, really finished it out nicely. My car belonged to my father for many years, he was content with a JC Whitney interior in black and white. Had the condom style seat covers and homemade door panels with cheap black carpet. Looks much better this way! Love your car and it looks fine just the way it is. Still trying to decide if i should re-do the 30-plus year old paint work that dad did or just leave it alone?!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave J
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassneck wrote:

So, I'm clear, you did Dynamat first, and then the vinyl stuff, and then the carpet over that? And you glued the carpet to the vinyl...correct?

Thanks!

I dynamatted (I used other brands, but same stuff) to the metal after rust repair and painting, and then on the floor, used the little buttons to hold the MLV. If I had been smarter, I would have put the vinyl side down, and the foam side up and contact cemented the floor carpet to foam - currently it just sits on it (but is not moving)

Wheel wells, rear firewall, bulkhead, I glued the foam face of the MLV to the dynamite with brush on contact cement.

The biggest issue with MLV is it requires this nasty glue to get anything to stick. Some people glue velcro to the MLV, and then can contact cement the velcro to the carpet. I always left off enough MLV from edges and corners to contact cement to the dynamat.
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
Brassneck wrote:

Thanks!

I dynamatted (I used other brands, but same stuff) to the metal after rust repair and painting, and then on the floor, used the little buttons to hold the MLV. If I had been smarter, I would have put the vinyl side down, and the foam side up and contact cemented the floor carpet to foam - currently it just sits on it (but is not moving)

Wheel wells, rear firewall, bulkhead, I glued the foam face of the MLV to the dynamite with brush on contact cement.

The biggest issue with MLV is it requires this nasty glue to get anything to stick. Some people glue velcro to the MLV, and then can contact cement the velcro to the carpet. I always left off enough MLV from edges and corners to contact cement to the dynamat.

Great, thanks for the info. Looks like this is on my list when I change out my interior in a few years. Smile
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djghia wrote:
Just noticed that yours is a '62, so is mine! If you need any pictures of a particular area let me know. I have added the chrome trim strips to my door panels since the pictures I posted, really finished it out nicely. My car belonged to my father for many years, he was content with a JC Whitney interior in black and white. Had the condom style seat covers and homemade door panels with cheap black carpet. Looks much better this way! Love your car and it looks fine just the way it is. Still trying to decide if i should re-do the 30-plus year old paint work that dad did or just leave it alone?!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave J

It's looking really sweet just how she is! We're really enjoying the interior. What a great history to have with your car.

Can you help me find the link to your door panel trim?
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:

I can't wait. Thanks for that feedback. I look forward to improving mine as well.

Unfortunately, Second Skin won't ship their MLV here. However I did find a Dutch company (just next door to me) that has a similar product MLV bonded to 3mm closed cell decoupler. The specs seem to indicate it is even beefier that Luxury Liner Pro… Whether it works as well is another question. Nonetheless, that's my plan… Isomat VM
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hound you on this… did you also line the door, etc. I'm trying to figure out how much 27sq/ft cover.
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianL wrote:
Sorry to hound you on this… did you also line the door, etc. I'm trying to figure out how much 27sq/ft cover.

I used a sound mat on the inside of the doors, but I hear that some people use MLV as door panel liners. The thickness could be an issue, compared to sheet plastic.

The doors shut with a much heavier "thud" with the sound deadening. I also sound deadened the inside of the engine lid and it even quieted down the engine noise from the outside!
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
I also sound deadened the inside of the engine lid and it even quieted down the engine noise from the outside!!

Ummm - whot? Did I get this right? You stuck some of that heavy MLV or anti-rattle onto the underside of the decklid???? Won't that butyl melt right off?

Intriguing - I want things as quiet as possible. Tempting.

Got a pic of that?
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianL wrote:
bluedot wrote:
I also sound deadened the inside of the engine lid and it even quieted down the engine noise from the outside!!

Ummm - whot? Did I get this right? You stuck some of that heavy MLV or anti-rattle onto the underside of the decklid???? Won't that butyl melt right off?

Intriguing - I want things as quiet as possible. Tempting.

Got a pic of that?

Naw... no MLV on the deckled, but I did use the dynamat style stuff that Second Skin sells. It has a matte black finish. I applied that under the deckled and quieted her down immensely....
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie - final questions and I'll stop bugging you.

I take it the Damplifier isn't peeling hanging above the heat of the engine?

You are not concerned/have no issues with engine heating up too much?

THANKS!!!!!

D
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianL wrote:

Thanks to the high temperature butyl adhesive, you will not have to worry about it falling off, peeling, or melting. Damplifier is perfect for every area of the car, including the high heat areas like the engine bay, hood, and head liner!

A quote from Damplifier.

I guess that leaves us with engine compartment temps… if you had any issues there...
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianL wrote:
DorianL wrote:

Thanks to the high temperature butyl adhesive, you will not have to worry about it falling off, peeling, or melting. Damplifier is perfect for every area of the car, including the high heat areas like the engine bay, hood, and head liner!

A quote from Damplifier.

I guess that leaves us with engine compartment temps… if you had any issues there...

Super sticky stuff. Had my oil pressure switch start leaking like a sieve a couple days ago, lost most of my oil by the time I got home. What a mess! She was hot, and the engine lid was covered in oil. She was hot, she was wet, but I did clean her before I put her away. Damplifier did great. I was kinda afraid the oil would melt it, but no! It's think enough that the airflow from the under deck ducting doesn't seem impacted. I do have to adjust my springs tighter to get my deck lid to stay up though!
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Bluedot! I will add the damplifier/rattletrap to the underside of my decklid.

Good stuff! I look forward to a QUIET(er) ride
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianL wrote:
Thanks Mr. Bluedot! I will add the damplifier/rattletrap to the underside of my decklid.

Good stuff! I look forward to a QUIET(er) ride

Ah hem...not Mr Bluedot. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: