Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner catching air
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsdavesfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Headliner catching air Reply with quote

New TMI headliner, good install and looks great but at about 65mph with window down air is pushing headliner down onto my head. Roll up window or slow down its ok. I'm thinking that somewhere the seams are not stitched tight and air is getting in? Anyone ever have this problem? Any fixes?
Thanks to everyone on this forum, its been very helpful to me in this project.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How were your bows when you installed it , did they have to be tweaked , were the rubber/plastic grommets used? just a few things to consider i guess.

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally the interior of the car is under lower pressure than the outside. This can suck exhaust fumes inside the cabin, so your exhaust and door/hatch seals must be in good shape.

That said, there is a path for air to get sucked in via the C-pillars on a fastback. Around '70 or so (?) VW started spraying expanding foam in there to stop this.

Early Bugs had the famous triangular pillows stuffed up from the engine bay to seal this area. Late models have the foam. Some dig out the foam, since it can trap moisture and rust the pillar.

Do you know what is there on your car? That may be the air path that is "inflating" your headliner.

You can see the remnants of the original foam in my '71 here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
itsdavesfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bows were good and I used new end caps on them. I have a '69 Fastback and yes the seals in engine compartment are new. By looking at your photo I'm thinking that could be the problem. I'll check that out on Saturday and let you guys know.

Thanks for the help.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to probe with a bent coat hanger through the rear shoulder belt hole to see if the foam is there or not.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pic from an ad shows another area where foam may have been sprayed (and removed). You can tell where the water was trapped and is rusting from this inside out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
paulpooted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issues with my notchback. Let me know what you get sorted out. I'd love to fix this issue so i dont have to hold my headliner up as i go down the highway ha
itsdavesfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to KTPhil for pointing me in correct location. I only have temp fixed it for now but it works.

From inside rear trunk there are 4 holes on the sides. From up by bottom of cargo tray, 2 smaller ones and larger opening about 5-6inches near rear of trunk lid. I could see some sort of foam but was very dry and brittle. All I did for now is 2 layers of duct tape over holes. I covered and went out onto freeway. All windows down and headliner stayed put. No inflation at all.

I'm thinking before I complete trunk area I'll cut sheet metal and short screws with maybe silicon adhesive around edges to seal it up. Paint and carpet kit and I'll be done with it.

Thanks again to KYPhil and this forum for all the help throughout this project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: