Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phoenix - A 1971 VW Westie returns from the Ashes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:
Thanks for sharing those pics, I always saw schematics of that filler hose, but its good to see actual photos. Is there anyway to remove the rear panel to just take a peek at this without pulling the entire motor?

It will be tight I think, but you should be able to get the firewall screws out and peek behind (don't quote me though, I've never done it).

The one I would be shooting for would be the filler hose. That's easily seen and replaced on a Regular Bug, but I'd guess it's almost never replaced on a Bus. Even if you can just sneak a peek with a Mirror and a flashlight just to check.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My Son's 1971 Bay Window Westie Build Thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7295189#7295189
Mike C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info.

[quote="1977_L63H_P27"]As mentioned before, it's a 9-passenger Deluxe. The true "station wagon" of buses.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteandvanessa wrote:

Fuel line brand, size, and age?
All the soft fuel lines were replaced from the Fuel tank to the Carb, I also relocated the fuel filter to under the chassis, well away from the heat exchangers and header. The fuel lines were brand new.
I purchased two sizes of fuel pipe from my local Flaps store (I think it was around 5/16" and 1/4" or there abouts. I initially put on the larger diameter pipe, but after fitting I wasn't happy with it, it was a little loose, so I removed the larger fuel pipe lines and installed the smaller diameter fuel pipe which fitted well. The fuel pipe was the Non-Braided type.

Clamps? What kind?
I used the screw type clamps

So you don't think at all that the SAE hose on metric fittings could have caused this?

If you've ever tried to remove the good braided hoses from the flared VW fittings, you'd know how much better they fit than ANY crap you can buy at AutoBone. That is, if you've converted to 1/4" fittings all around than you would have been ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
peteandvanessa wrote:

All the soft fuel lines were replaced from the Fuel tank to the Carb, I also relocated the fuel filter to under the chassis, well away from the heat exchangers and header. The fuel lines were brand new.
I purchased two sizes of fuel pipe from my local Flaps store (I think it was around 5/16" and 1/4" or there abouts. I initially put on the larger diameter pipe, but after fitting I wasn't happy with it, it was a little loose, so I removed the larger fuel pipe lines and installed the smaller diameter fuel pipe which fitted well. The fuel pipe was the Non-Braided type.

Clamps? What kind?

So you don't think at all that the SAE hose on metric fittings could have caused this?

If you've ever tried to remove the good braided hoses from the flared VW fittings, you'd know how much better they fit than ANY crap you can buy at AutoBone. That is, if you've converted to 1/4" fittings all around than you would have been ok.

I wish whoever makes the good, German braided fuel hose re compounded it to work with the current fuels on the market. It doesn't last very long at all with the Ethanol in the fuels these days. It's also known to dry up and crack after only a couple of years. I bought some fuel line that's rated for todays fuel from Autozone for my bus. I can't recall the actual size of the hose but it fit fairly tight on all the fittings. Each fitting also had a good hose clamp installed.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm not using the German braided fuel line anymore, even though I'm a purist. I don't want to keep changing fuel lines every couple of years due to the hose/rubber not holding up to today's fuel.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
peteandvanessa wrote:

Clamps? What kind?

I wish whoever makes the good, German braided fuel hose re compounded it to work with the current fuels on the market. It doesn't last very long at all with the Ethanol in the fuels these days. It's also known to dry up and crack after only a couple of years. I bought some fuel line that's rated for todays fuel from Autozone for my bus. I can't recall the actual size of the hose but it fit fairly tight on all the fittings. Each fitting also had a good hose clamp installed.

I agree. The fuel lines I fitted were just off the shelf non-braided fuel lines. The smaller fuel hose I fitted was up to the job, fitted tightly, and had a hose clamp. I checked them after fitting for tightness and also checked for leaks, they were fine. I seriously doubt that the SAE hose on metric fittings fuel lines were the problem.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568220&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteandvanessa wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
peteandvanessa wrote:

Clamps? What kind?

I agree. The fuel lines I fitted were just off the shelf non-braided fuel lines. The smaller fuel hose I fitted was up to the job, fitted tightly, and had a hose clamp. I checked them after fitting for tightness and also checked for leaks, they were fine. I seriously doubt that the SAE hose on metric fittings fuel lines were the problem.

I don't think that was the problem either, especially if you had clamps on them that were tight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The above picture was of the fuel line coming off the gas tank nipple on my new to me 70 bus. I had just bought this bus and am/was going thru the systems. You can see the drip on the fuel line. I have no idea how old this fuel line was but when I removed it, I bent it and it cracked in half, it was so dry.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what if I told you that there was a VOLSKWAGEN-made 5mm braided line? Oh wait, it's not readily available online so the collective group thought here won't get off their computers and go look for it.

Here are two lines, one brand new and one with over 12,000 miles on it.

I poured (according to my notes) over 600 gallons of the cheapest 87 ethanol fuel through these lines. Most of the time it was 10% but in the counties where they serve up 15% that went in with a smile.

I'm not going to blame the ethanol because it's easy to blame or any other crap excuses.

Here you go- guess which is new and which lines got me accross the country and back two and a half times?

VW/Audi- made for their air-cooled cars.

I won't tell you which hose is new and which is used. My only caveat is that I drive my bus 360 days a year. So I don't let the fuel sit and rot, which esentially turns the ethanol into a molasses-y candybar soup.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie for your insights into the different types of fuel hose.

With respect though, we are drifting off topic.

The bottom line is:

1. There was a fire in the engine compartment
2. The real cause will probably be unknown
3. I suspect it might have been related to the fuel tank (if I find out any more, I'll report back here)
4. I am satisfied that the replacement fuel hose was adequate and up to the task and it was fitted securely and correctly
5. The carburetor inlet barb might have pulled free, but with the carb being destroyed in the fire we cannot definitively prove that, that was the cause.

Onwards...............

Last edited by peteandvanessa on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
So what if I told you that there was a VOLSKWAGEN-made 5mm braided line?

Robbie, you had me at hello! Very Happy

That's great information that this hose is available from VW vs. the aftermarket. Have you done any research as to what it's rated at (fuel wise) and how long VW recommends this hose to be used before being changed? I ask this question due to the recommendation that the current braided hose is not known for it's longevity. Many veteran VW folks changes there every year or two which you don't have to do with the modern fuel hoses sold at the local FLAPS location.

Did you purchase it from your VW dealer or online?

peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Friday night, not a week since the fire, but the team starts to tear into the Bus.

The Phoenix rising has started;

Here we have Bob, Dewey, and Dan, hell bent on removing the engine

It's out:

Damn, that fire was HOT, HOT, HOT. Look how the Intake melted:

More pics on Sunday when the tear down crew turns up. Watch this space Smile

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Phoenix - A 1971 VW Westie returns from the Ashes Reply with quote

Looks like some kind of cosmic nascar team at work there,
once they get baptized they usually turn to the pre-christian
god Pan, the one of the forest & fertility.Prepare yourselves.
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Dan hard at work stripping the engine down. This is the first engine he's stripped.

peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work continued on the engine tear down.
Bob, Dan and Dewey started the tear down of the engine to a Long Block.

They also have another Motor in a 70's Bug to get donor parts from(awesome when you have a donor car just lying around in the yard), Dan started pulling the donor parts, which was slow because some of the screws and bolts were rusted on and had to be busted off.

Tranny area clean up

Time to pull it apart:

Down to the long block:

Donor Parts:

Rear Flywheel:

Heater Boxes:

More pics will follow tomorrow

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good going.
Vacuum advance has a rubber diaphragm inside that may have melted. Test and make sure it holds a vacuum.
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Good going.
Vacuum advance has a rubber diaphragm inside that may have melted. Test and make sure it holds a vacuum.
]

That distributor is only in there to hold things in their right spots. It will get a new distributer. The oil sensor will be replaced too. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
peteandvanessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we all met Sunday today to start the strip down. It was a messy task. The window rubbers had melted into a sticky goo. Yuck and really hard to get off.

What we do know is that it WASN'T the Gas tank that caused the fire, the Tank was protected by the firewall and nothing was out of place when we opened it all up. We are now pretty sure that it WAS the carb inlet barb that caused the fire.
Here's the tank after we pulled the motor and fire wall:

The 1971 filler hose was intact and NOT leaking (it's wonky in the pic since I unfastened the clamp to inspect the hose, it was fine and un-cracked):

The vent lines were in pretty good shape too, even the rubber connector hose was good too.

Time to start cleaning:

Bob - Do you think it's going to get that BAD?

Pressure wash time, get to it people and wash that Bus

Bubble Power:

Time to feed the hungry crew:

All clean:

The only thing left is to go for a cruise:

Slow down Dan, we don't have seatbelts yet!!

Bob didn't come on the cruise, he had to empty this:

Sincerest thanks to Kim, Bob, Dewey, Cody, Oscar, James, Weslee, Mike plus all the other people I might have missed, without you it would still be a burn't out smokey Bus. Now she's much cleaner and sweeter smelling.

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many helpful people. That is just awesome!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool that you got an awesome crew that are willing to jump on it like that! Good work guys. Those are some good friends there.
Banjoben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a dedicated crew of true friends there. I worked on a burned out Porsche 356 once. I can almost smell that Bus from here. Here's hoping you can get that stank out of it eventually.
Keep up the good work!
ASE Certified Advanced Level Master Tec / Toyota Master Diagnostic Tec.
Head Boffin of the legendary(does it really exist?) Stray Cat Vintage and Custom Garage. Home of "The Bomber Squadron"
rwflyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great.. a lot of hard work so far.. going to be nice seeing it getting back on the road when you are done. This may help. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4583186153.html

1976 Westy Raby type 4 Camper Special
purch 5/3/14
1982 Vanagon Westy Diesel 1.6NA
purch 4/3/15
1987 Doka Fire Truck
purch 4/1/16
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: