Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Link pin front end help!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m wondering.... It doesn’t make sense that you recently replaced the king pin bushings and still have play. Unless you left out the thrust washer. But that still shouldn’t give you the type of play you have.

There are two different styles of trailing arm. I’m not sure exactly what year the change came, but here’s the deal.

The early arms had flat faces on the trailing arms. They used 10 shims on each link pin.

The latter arms have a recess in the face and they use 8 shims and a special thing that looks like a stepped, square washer that is the O-ring cover.

If the link pins are not adjusted, you can get play at the link pin. But you shouldn’t have the camber change that you are seeing.

If you left out some of the shims, you can get play at the link pin. But you shouldn’t have the camber change that you are seeing.

So, if the wheel bearings are not sloppy, and the link pins are tight and adjusted, the only thing left that could give you that sort of camber change is the king pins and bushings unless your link pin bushings are totally trashed.
Snowking63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo I just replaced the old passenger spindle with the new one I got with the chinese pins. And of course my dad and I made sure we inspected everything as we took everything off. The bearings are fine and they were tight. Anyway, after installing the new spindle it was a huge improvement. After pushing and pulling on the tire at 12 and 6 there's no play!

So the spindle is on nice and tight and correctly and it seems the problem is fixed until I backed the car up. There is still as much camber as there was when backed up or drove forward as it's always been.

This might sound weird but we traced the problem down to being the tires. The tires are flexing because of the size and of course the style. My dad measured them when the car was moved back and when moved forward and they flex 5/8" of a difference.

I still have the driver side spindle to replace and I will also need some new tires. If there are any baja owners reading this I need a recommendation of some good tires that won't flex as much as mine do. I have bf Goodrich TA Radials and I'm not too sure on the size
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6485278&highlight=#6485278
Snowking63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After replacing the spindles and getting new tires, the car handles better than it ever has since I've had it. Haven't had time to look at the camber yet since I had to leave to work once I got it home from the tire shop but I honk it's safe to say the problem is fixed. There is some rubbing going on when the wheel is turned all the way to the right but that's an easy file down on something
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6485278&highlight=#6485278
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowking63 wrote:
There is some rubbing going on when the wheel is turned all the way to the right but that's an easy file down on something

Yea, that's how to fix it... Rolling Eyes. Sounds more like the steering box isn't centered or the tie rods need to be adjusted by lengthening the side that rubs and shorting the side that doesn't.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering stop for king and link pin front end was actually one of the bolts that hold the backing plate to the spindle. One of those 3 was longer then the others. If you needed more turning, you filed that bolt a little.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true - but filing the bolt will make it turn more which will cause more rubbing...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then do the opposite. Replace bolt with a longer one, test and file as needed. Still, easy cheap fix.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: