Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1950 Standard color question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: 1950 Standard color question Reply with quote

After waiting over six months, I finally received the BC for my split window today. The BC states that the car was built January 30 1950 which was sort of disappointing since I bought the car thinking it was late '49. However, my disappointment quickly faded when the BC confirmed that it is an 11a car. I'm a big fan of standards, with their clean and simple style. The part that does have me a bit stumped is that the BC shows the paint as L11 Pastel Green. I do not have a lot of experience with these early cars but I was under the impression that 1950 Standards came only in either Blue or Grey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´d say black was also still an option on standards at that time.
My friend has a first paint ´50 in black.
Pastellgreen was an export model only paint. At least here in Germany.
If they sended some abroad in "better" colors, I don´t know for sure but would doubt it. Was it sold in Germany when new?
The birth certificates to me seem to be written not by the most knowledgeable persons. They just put in what they find in the records.
May it make sense or not.
If they look something up wrong the information ends up at your BC and you sit there with questions like yours.
What does your car tell you? Any evidence either way?
Remains of first paint anywhere? Like under the roof or other hidden places.
Any proof of beeing a standard? Like no trim holes etc.?
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response usariemen. There is some remnant of green paint in areas under the hood that looks original. The body has trim holes, but I've read of other standards that were "upgraded" with trim later in life. The chassis has cable brakes if that helps narrow it down. The car is very rough and missing lots of parts so I don't have much to go on. Is there anything else on the body itself that would confirm it as a standard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no clips for the headliner in door openings and at the rear view, the body ID tag has to have model 11A or just 11
no door contact switch holes
maybe more?
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body tag is rough, but I can very faintly see what looks like an "A". I'm going to check for the headliner clips and door switches. Thanks!
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

It's interesting to read what you have written about your car, and the Birth Certificate (BC), especially with regard to the colour spec you were supplied with, as I have just gone through this scenario with the Museum, which to put it mildly, is a shambles at the moment.

I have a 58 Standard model 115, which i've owned for 35 years, and am putting back on the road again. Here in the UK, any vehicle manufactured before 1st January 1960 doesn't have to go through any annual road test, and is free of road tax, and so my 58, having been registered in the UK in 1974 (It was from Germany originally) means that I now have to prove it is pre 1960, and this can only be done by the use of the BC. There is no alternative!

4+ months after having paid my 50 euros, and nothing forthcoming, I wrote to Martin Winterkorn, the Chairman of VW: [email protected] and the Museum, to say that this rotten service was not what people deserve, or expect of VW, and they need to get things sorted out. I received my BC a week later!

However, the BC stated that the colour on my car was L334 Firnblue, which I know to be wrong, especially as it is a metallic colour, and suspect that it is L37 Medium Blue. I e-mailed the Museum again, and the lady there admitted it was wrong, and this was because she had read the colour off the De Luxe list (whatever that means) which is wrong as mine is a Standard, stating that this what happens when people are in a hurry! I've seen no evidence of any hurry on their part. Maybe having the Chairman aware put her into panic mode? Anyway, they say they are now going to send me a correct version, but this may not have the M code(s) on it!?

As you will know, VW don't supply the engine number any longer if you don't know the original, stating that this is for 'Data Protection' reasons. Such nonsense. European Data Protection is about protecting Personal Data, and not the production figures associated with cars manufactured over half a century ago!

My next quest is to write to the Legal Dept at VW, and the Chairman if I have to, to find out why this nonsense about Data Protection is being quoted.

In short, these days you can't take anything for granted that you read on your BC, and so if in doubt, e-mail them about your concerns, especially as it is a Standard model, and she may have been reading off the wrong chart again! All a bit disappointing.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathguten wrote:
Thanks for your response usariemen. There is some remnant of green paint in areas under the hood that looks original. The body has trim holes, but I've read of other standards that were "upgraded" with trim later in life. The chassis has cable brakes if that helps narrow it down. The car is very rough and missing lots of parts so I don't have much to go on. Is there anything else on the body itself that would confirm it as a standard?

Looking for the headliner clips and clips at the B-pilar is an good idea.
If it has trim holes it could be checked if they are exactely at the stock locations or if they maybe where added later and show any evidence of beeing "selfmade".
The door contacts where not yet stock in jan.´50 on both models.
Same for the cable brakes. At that pioint standard and deluxe models both still hade them.
What does the BC say where the car was delivered to?
A german dealership or somewhere abroad?
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I checked the car and there are headliner strips around the door opening and rear window. And just like usariemen said, there are no door switches. Also the trim holes look factory, with no signs of them being made after the fact. So not only is it NOT a standard, but the BC is wrong. I've posted plenty on the grief of getting the BC in the "General Chat" section, so I'll spare you all. I will say though that it's the first and last time I order one. So I guess it's time to start filling in the trim holes and pulling off the headliner strips to make it match the BC.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post the last 4 of the VIN. mine is also a jan 50.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UZI. The last four numbers are 3789. Sadly, the BC provided little insight into the car's origins. Right now it's a long way from being rebuilt. I'm basically in the planning and parts collection phase now. As I mentioned previously, the car is missing many parts, but the main things are there and I'm going to put it together to be a nice driver. My last couple of builds were basket cases that would likely have ended up as scrap or donor cars. I guess I'm sort of specializing in the "mutts". But, the fact that certain parts aren't "correct" doesn't really bother me. I get a lot of satisfaction in knowing that the car is still serving it's intended purpose and maybe even a little more. Once I start rebuilding it I hope to start a dedicated thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: