Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

surface rust inside door
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: surface rust inside door Reply with quote

I'm in the process of replacing the window rubber on my 64 bug and I noticed surface rust on the lower portion of the inside of the door. The drain holes are clear and it's only on the lower few inches. When I removed the door panel, there was no plastic barrier but there was a thick strip of foam that went in between the door panel and door. The original sound deadener had detached itself and was crumpled on the bottom of the door. My question is, can I treat the rust with RustMort and then POR 15 over that to kill the rust? I'm going to put Dyna Mat and a vapor barrier when I reassemble.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s pretty common for the tar boards or insulation boards inside the door to come loose and fall down inside.

Dyna mat may not be a good choice inside the doors. The design is such that water does get past the seals and that is why there is drain holes in the bottom of the door. If your Dyna mat gets wet will it hold water inside the door? Will it cause moisture to build up and raise the humidity levels inside the door?

As for dealing with the rust in the bottom of your doors, Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer works very well for this type of problem. It’s inexpensive, easy to apply, easy to touch up, and can be top coated with a variety of substances or colors. Plus it works great for a very long time.

Just knock off the loose stuff with a wire brush and paint over it with the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer.

But regardless of what you use, be aware that some of it is going to go through the drain holes on the bottom of the door. So if you don’t want paint to get on your running boards or garage floor, make sure you plan for that before you begin.

Also when it comes time to reassemble, the plastic sheet vapor barrier is VERY important! Again it keeps moisture off your door panels and helps to manage the water flow through the door so it isn’t staying behind as humidity to rust away things or start growing mold.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: