Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping A Manx
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Shipping A Manx Reply with quote

Well I recently sold a Manx 2 , And told the buyer I would assist him in shipping.
I referred him to a company I have used five times including for the buggy I had sold him , it had traveled from Leeds Alabama , with no problems.
So the transport carrier showed up with a kid driving , not knowing where to hook it up, was short on space , I told him it should be on the lower tear, But he insisted on putting it on the top tear with the hood and nose facing backwards . Engine first , So the windshield would have the wind blowing against it , I took pictures of the car before loading .
Because I had to climb on the guys rig myself and help him hook the wench up. I didn't get any of the car actually on the truck .
So me and the driver pushed the Manx up the ramps from the front .
To make the story short, The buggy arrives and I get a call from the Guy saying their is no hood or windshield.
So from Buffalo to Chicago their is a Manx 2 hood and windshield laying in the road .
It was Bolted either he hit a low tree or the wind blowing against the wind from the backdraft blew the hood of which was a nice hood.
The Kicker is the driver said he didn't remember a hood or windshield being on it when we both pushed and loaded it .
I took one cell phone picture with the buggy being loaded , and the trailer is behind , and the trucks license plate is clearly visible , and you can see the windshield on the buggy, The money shot!

So remember Always take pictures !!!!!!!!
Keep you eyes on the highway and look for a Manx Hood if your near Chicago!
The carrier filed a claim against the transporter and he should be able to get a new hood , dash and windsheild from Manx
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid driver.... Should have to pay for incident out of own pocket and then be fired.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY important bit of advise for sure......ALWAYS takes pictures as you load and as it drives down the street. Even little cell videos are good ideas.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something like that, an enclosed carrier is the only way to go.
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
For something like that, an enclosed carrier is the only way to go.

Or drive it to destination Wink
truckdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had really good luck in shipping and having cars shipped. The drivers are usually very nice and go out of their way to make sure some of the crazy stuff I have transported is safe. But yes, I always take pictures once loaded. I also have to recommend uship.com, great experience with that service.
Jerry39218
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Transport shipped mine to MS from NY.

It mostly went well, except for one thing.

Communication.
The broker doesn't keep close enough track of his drivers, IMHO.
I was told and told that I would have a day's notice to arrange a dropoff point... I get a call on a late thursday that he (driver) is still 80miles out and cannot make it all the way in. He also said he could not meet me early enough the next day...so, I had to go pick up the buggy and drive it 80miles at night with only foglights Very Happy

Other than that, the driver was quite careful and courteous on the care of the buggy.
Mrav8tr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If shipping your Buggy on a Transport, a few things to consider.
Yes take photos of the condition of your Buggy prior to loading with odometer. Depending on final transport location, your Buggy can be moved, stored and reloaded on several trucks before final destination.

Tie down chains Must be tied from front and from rear extending out past fenders to keep Buggy from rocking. If chains pull straight down and Buggy rocks back and forth with high tension wheel bearing will be damaged and won't be apparent until buggy is driven for miles and bearings fail after transport.

Park Buggy on top if possible. If Buggy is parked under any vehicle, it is susceptible to fluids leaking from vehicles parked above, such as Brake Fluid, Transmission Fluid, and Battery Acid, not good for any Paint Job or Fiberglass.

Cover completely with Transport Film which can protect from above fluids. Thus New Car Manufacturers protect their new cars when transporting.

I use temporary transport film even when flat towing, keeps fluids and debris from front end and windshield, and when film is removed, front end is still clean, dirt and road grime is removed with film.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get the transport film ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrav8tr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterShield
They can ship the film to you.
760-772-3072
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear alot of people use plastidip instead of the film now a days... spray it on and then peel it off the paint when it delivers!
Mrav8tr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I wouldn't spray in areas where there are gaps in the fiberglass, fenders meet body, or spray near seats and upholstery. The protection film is a very inexpensive very versatile way to protect in many ways. The film you can wrap vehicles as a Temporary Transport Cocoon. It's so easy to use, and works flawlessly, on New Paint! Transport Film is self adhesive and is made for temporary protection up to a year or more, then easily removed and thrown away. Also used when assembling vehicles, for scratch protection on paint, chrome, anything that can get scratched. Use vehicle protection film while vehicles are stored in garage for the winter or protected while in storage. Use for shipping full vehicles to shipping painted or chrome parts, wrap individual pieces.
Auto manufacturers use it to transport new vehicles. Covers gaps in hoods, doors and fenders. Full coverage to Front end areas when Flat or Trailer Towing, anything.
Transport Film:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: