Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need to fix tweaked 71 Super vert body
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Need to fix tweaked 71 Super vert body Reply with quote

Heres the scoop - buddy bought a beautiful 71 super vert. Had new heater channels, rocker braces all that done years ago - only a couple hundred miles after decade long resto.

BUT top wont seal, door gaps are way bigger at the top than at bottom. Someone did an attempt to repair by simply shimming the top hinges andadding material to the seals by the vent windows.

Had a brief converstation with Bob Cook (Cookers) about this and he suggested shimming the rear supports above the rear axles. Makes sense - BUT what I am wondering is if I can also shim the front of the body? I have done several body offs on standards, but dont know Supers that well. Is this possible and where are the front mounting points. Can I get to them easily?

Obviously this has to be done carefully and measure measure measure, but I think starting at the front may be the place to start instead of the rear. Would love to hear from anyone who has done anything like this.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've found the shimming of the rear mounts is how VW adjusted the door gaps.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
runchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article on door alignment and body shimming:

http://www.hotvws.com/content.php?contentID=73

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=532247&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - but the once again - this is a super Vert - If I do anything at the front, where are the mounts? I do want to verify that everything is as it should be there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to adjust the rear 4 mounts, the ones behind the rear wheels and the ones under the rear seat. If you have an engine hoist(that how I did mine) make a sling around the rear bumper mounts so you can lift the rear of the body. Back the bolts out till there just barely in, lift rear of body to the right door gap........measure and shim. Bolt back down and you should be done.

From what I know (did a pan swap on mine) there is no front adjustment on a super. You can loosen bolts and lift a little and retighten, the brace on the inside that goes to the tunnel is slotted, so there is a very small amount of adjustment.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question on the shimming - you are shimming all 4 locations (2 under the seat and the 2 above the axle)? You kept the rest tight? Then lifted the rear and held it there- inserted shims and cranked it back down - How bad was the door gap off? I don't have the car here, but I am guessing 3/8" wider at the top.
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the general idea. Mine wasn't that far off, the ones under the rear seat.....no shim, behind the tires, just over a 1/4". My gap is dead even top to bottom now.

Once you get the gap right, you will see where the shims are needed. Maybe all 4 places or maybe just the rears ones.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Thanks - but the once again - this is a super Vert - If I do anything at the front, where are the mounts? I do want to verify that everything is as it should be there.

Convertibles never changed even with Supers, the body adjustmangs are still the same as a 50's VW Convertible.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool - once again - I know standards pretty well, but never had a body off of a super, so was not familiar with how it mounted in the front and if I had any place there to shim if needed. Having him bring the car over in a couple weeks.

Have to tell ya - when I first saw the car before he bought it, it was in another shop. I was amazed at the quality of the paint and just how nice the car was in general. Was restored as a labor of love. But the mechanic working on it was trying to figure out why the top wouldnt pull down the whole way and why the vent/windshield fram seals werent mating up. Thats when I noticed the door gaps being way off. I thought the only way to fix it was to cut it apart and reweld it. Apparently he shimmed the top door hinges so it didnt look as bad and added material to the vent seals.

Then after my buddy bought it (didnt know it was the same car), I was half sick when I realized what car it was. You have no idea how happy I am that I should be able to fix it for him.

Thanks all and will post the end result when done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: