Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black powder coated bumpers on a silver 74? Pshop help!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilovemountains
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Black powder coated bumpers on a silver 74? Pshop help! Reply with quote

Anyone good with photoshop? Before I spray paint my old stock bumpers to see what it would look like and risk scratching my paint I thought Id see if someone could throw together a picture of a silver 74 with satin black bumpers? The reason I ask is I’m trying to find a way to get some type of different bumpers for my 74. Briz is working up a price for me but I’d rather have flat, early style bumpers than a 3 rib style and the stockers are pretty fugly.

My daily driver is an immaculate 1985 Saab 900s, I was looking at it next to the Ghia today and thought to myself, what would the ghia looks like with stock, black bumpers since they stick out like an old flat nose Saab…. Anyway thoughts or input? If I went this way Id order new stainless bumpers, have them blasted and powder coated, I just don’t like the look of the 74 stock bumpers, too big, ugly and chrome!
ilovemountains
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: My 85 Saab 900s Reply with quote

Picture of my 85 900s, I love this car, I bought it from the original owner in Santa Monica CA and had it shipped east, its been garaged and babied since new... Basically the same car I had 20 years ago, the first car I bought myself working at the Ponderosa, man times flies!!

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=a132c6a6432774a9&id=A132C6A6432774A9%21564&sff=1&v=3
Londonsworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: My 72 Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=363004
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ilovemountains
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture, that helps! Im still on the fence about stock bumpers, I wish VW would have kept the original Ghia bumpers through the entire model run of the car, Im not sure what they were thinking with the Type 3 look on such a curvacious car!
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkswagen had no choice in order to comply with new US bumper regulations. Compared to what other makers did, I don't think the bumpers look that bad. And I think they look good chrome with the black stripe down the middle, as it came originally. That continues the look of the dual chrome side strips. I think all black will make the bumpers stand out more and not look as good as the originals.
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All-black bumpers will make the car look too heavy, like one of these

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of these,

Or, maybe even one of these

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you try painting just one of your '74's bumpers black, how about "photoshop" painting it the same silver as your Ghia's repainted body? And adding a new black stripe in the center rib?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: