Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery/O2 sensor lights
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nova73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Battery/O2 sensor lights Reply with quote

I've had my battery disconnected several times in the past several weeks and now the Battery/O2 lights in the dash are on and won't go out. Any suggests on how to eliminate them. My engine starts and runs great. No problems.

Nova73
85 Weekender
Akron ,PA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fixedgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be one of those coincidences that will drive you mad:

The O2 light is just a service reminder to change the sensor I think every 60K miles. The fix is to drop the spare/clamshell and stick a pen or something in the speedometer box reset hole.

The battery light may be loose or corroded connectors on the battery posts, or a loose alternator belt.

That they would appear at the same time is just a test on your sense of humour and aggravation tolerance.
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me recently. The blue wire at the alternator was the cause.

Try this thread – http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6257153#6257153

crazyvwvanman wrote:

The alternator has a small blue wire connecting to it that comes from the alt warning led on the dash. Your problem is most likely caused by a bad connection on the blue wire or the blue wire may be broken or may have fallen off at the alternator end. Look at the alternator and check the small blue wire to see if it is connected and solid looking at the connection.

nova73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Battery/O2 Lights Reply with quote

Blue wire @ alternator was the cause. Thanks for all the comeback information. As always, greatly appreciated. Problem solved.

Nova73
Akron, PA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ecopreneur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery/O2 sensor lights Reply with quote

where is the blue wire on the alternator? I have a brown wire on top by itself and several main wires wrapped together going into the alternator a the black plastic connector. The brown wire on top goes to a crimp connection (crimp it to attach). The others seem to be a plug. Thanks

1984 vw vanagon camper
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery/O2 sensor lights Reply with quote

ecopreneur wrote:
where is the blue wire on the alternator? I have a brown wire on top by itself and several main wires wrapped together going into the alternator a the black plastic connector. The brown wire on top goes to a crimp connection (crimp it to attach). The others seem to be a plug. Thanks

1984 vw vanagon camper
. Someone may have spliced a repair wire in the last few inches of it, as the wire takes a beating with movement from shaking Altns and just age( insulation gets crumbly)
It ends up , I believe ,going to the black plastic box on the left side( electrical junction box)
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery/O2 sensor lights Reply with quote

ecopreneur wrote:
where is the blue wire on the alternator?

Blue wire goes to the D+ terminal:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(borrowed pic)
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrCarpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery/O2 sensor lights Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
ecopreneur wrote:
where is the blue wire on the alternator?

Blue wire goes to the D+ terminal:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(borrowed pic)

Just recently changed my alternator. Can anyone tell me what is the grey wire with the connector that is bolted vertically to the right? there are 3 pins inside if we remove the cap.

Thanks!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Battery/O2 sensor lights Reply with quote

Defunct factory diagnostic plug, currently serves no purpose.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
MrCarpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Battery/O2 sensor lights Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Defunct factory diagnostic plug, currently serves no purpose.

- Dave

thanks for the quick reply! kind of what I was guessing. more search i see there are other threads here. Its the TDC plug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: