Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Sizing Question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Engine Sizing Question Reply with quote

Hey guys... I'm looking for some advice and opinions.

I have a 71 bus with a 1600DP engine, 34Pict carb, and SVDA dizzy. I bought and use this bus to go camping. I like to drive it around town, but heading 3 hours in to the mountains with my 3 kids, maybe a couple of their friends, 2 dogs, and all our camping gear is what I love most.

It's getting time to thing about a rebuild, and it got me thinking if 1600 is the way to stay. I think I might want to go bigger.

My goals:
Add some power to help with long / steep climbs

Increase my top end speed a little (Not super important)

Avoid an engine size that runs real hot

Try not to kill my fuel economy

That being said, I'm looking for recommendations for:

Piston size: I'm thinking a modest bump to 90.5

Stroke: Again, I'm thinking a modest bump to 76, but is this enough?

Cam: Not sure what size to go with.

I'd also love to know what your highway MPG is, and what your engine setup is.

Thanks.

Check out my band, Thru The Haze
http://www.thruthehazeband.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1776 is a great size. If you have a larger budget, then a 2110 is the way to go.

Both can be built with decent mpg and both can run cool.

Heads, cam and carbs all need to be carefully picked and matched. I would suggest using a well known builder like Chico @ CPR who knows what will work in a Bus.

Go for the 2110 if you can afford it... you'll not be sorry.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention if keeping your stock carb, exhaust, and heater boxes are a must. If so, a 1679 (69x88 Thickwall) or 1776 (69x90.5) would work fine. Make sure to add tuning to your budget. I'd put aside at least $400 for that.

Speaking of, what's your budget? A 1679 or 1776 will cost only one or two hundred more than a stock rebuild, all else equal.

Expect to pay at least $4000 in parts and machining for a complete stroker engine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to stir the pot a little: a few thoughts on bus engine sizing

Bore-here I would go as big as possible in thick walls, so stock, 88mm or 92s.

Stroke-here I would be more consevative than most... bus engines spend their lives cruising at relatively high rpm, say 4400, for hours on end. As stroke goes up, the mean piston speed goes up, and that just can't help. I see vw only went up to 71mm when they made their 2 liter.

I have a 69 x 88 in my bus, cb 2280, stock heads with a little work, generally happy, but would like to step up to a 92 x 74, with 37 x 32 valves, same cam, twin kads.

Just thinking out loud, but I don't think mean piston speed is given enough consideration, especially as to how it can increase heat. Max bus stroke is 76 imho. Pot stirred?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go 78X88=1900cc. The bigger the bore the hotter they run but stroke adds little if any heat and a 78 fits well in the case without too much pain. 5.325 rods would also keep engine width within reason. Dan
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1776 isnt enough trust me. On flats and highway, any engine will pull its merry way. Until u hit hills or are loaded up is where the engine will feel very lacking. Building bigger already warrants carb upgrade regardless. Stock set ups wont cut it after stock carbs and barely suffices even then.
My suggestion is a 1904/2017/2110 line. All sizes will very in price marginally. Youll have to assess line bore and open your cyl bore. Thats a given, possibly thrust as well. Small ports with either well flowing 37 or roundport 40s is the most. A cam with no more than 285 duration and koderate lift would be my suggestion and a cr of between 8.5-9. 36 or 40 dells will work great with this combo.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its seems to me that far too often people overlook the value and benefit of going with a larger stroke. Yes, an increase bore diameter will result in greater HP , but its results in the torque department aren't squat in comparison to an equivalent increase in the stroke. The larger the stroke, the easier your top end can move that rotating element, giving you more power and placing less wear and tear on your bearings, journals, etc. This would be especially beneficial given the size and weight of your vehicle. I understand some people have a limited budget or may not want to hassle with the additional work involved, but if you are going to go to all that trouble anyway, no sense in short changing yourself.
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
You didn't mention if keeping your stock carb, exhaust, and heater boxes are a must. If so, a 1679 (69x88 Thickwall) or 1776 (69x90.5) would work fine. Make sure to add tuning to your budget. I'd put aside at least $400 for that.

Speaking of, what's your budget? A 1679 or 1776 will cost only one or two hundred more than a stock rebuild, all else equal.

Expect to pay at least $4000 in parts and machining for a complete stroker engine

I plan on keeping the heater boxes. I don't use a stock exhaust. I am planning on using this:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-55-3414

Also, I'm a bug fan of the SVDA with Pertronix Flamethrower II system that AirCooled.net sells.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
A 1776 isnt enough trust me. On flats and highway, any engine will pull its merry way. Until u hit hills or are loaded up is where the engine will feel very lacking. Building bigger already warrants carb upgrade regardless. Stock set ups wont cut it after stock carbs and barely suffices even then.
My suggestion is a 1904/2017/2110 line. All sizes will very in price marginally. Youll have to assess line bore and open your cyl bore. Thats a given, possibly thrust as well. Small ports with either well flowing 37 or roundport 40s is the most. A cam with no more than 285 duration and koderate lift would be my suggestion and a cr of between 8.5-9. 36 or 40 dells will work great with this combo.

I'd be happy to get the biggest bore I can, but my concern is how that will effect my MPG. I drive a VW... I don't mind being slowed down in the hills... much. Rolling Eyes

What I'm trying to do is find a good balance between power and fuel efficiency. What engine do you have? What's your MPG?

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that exhaust system is the one I am thinking of it is loud.
If you are not going to revving this motor past about 4500rpm I would check out a DPR 73mm crank, they are cheap. this would give you a 1878cc motor using 90.5 Pistons and cylinders, Then add a set of Weber ICT's and a mild cam [Cheater cam]. you would need a set of Chevy rods but I think A&A has them cheap. I think this would be a pretty good set up, maybe even use a set of SP heads.

http://dprmachine.com.s152704.gridserver.com/products/crankshafts-type-i/
http://aapistons.com/shop/connecting-rods/5-x-forged-chromoly-i-beam-connecting-rod-set-chevy.html

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2110 with an engle 120 and weber 44s in my 71 bay window. That thing was built like a brick shithouse and ran strong all day everyday. When I got rid of the bus, I kept the motor and put it in my Baja- still runs strong as hell. Be wary of the nay-sayers. Most people with a skeptical attitude can't site one goddamn bit of personal experience. This is how we learn.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManFromNapa wrote:
jfats808 wrote:

I'd be happy to get the biggest bore I can, but my concern is how that will effect my MPG. I drive a VW... I don't mind being slowed down in the hills... much. Rolling Eyes

What I'm trying to do is find a good balance between power and fuel efficiency. What engine do you have? What's your MPG?

While I respect your target and my combination doesnt necessarily compare to a bus, I have built several "bus" builds for customers. I drive a fairweather 2276 44 valved wedgeport, engine that sports a web 86c , 11 to 1 cr and gets 22-23 mpg on idas. Although we dont have huge hills or interstate hwys, I average 190 f and highest ive seen is 210 going around the island on one lane roads. I could afford going aggressive because our island is only 400 sq miles wide.
You want more power and reliability, it starts with heads, ccs, and effective sized carbs.
Ive built a couple bus engines. 1776, 2054, several 1904s, and a 2017. I wont personally waste time on a 69 stroke unless specifically requested because the price over overall gain is worth it. Size has less effect on mpg then say carb choice and poor tuning especially. You want mpg, a cool runner and power, it can be built.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Did a 76mm stroke engine for his camper and here he was driving it out to California and back here in this thread: Road trippin to Cali!!!.
Your going to have to spend some money on Dellorto's or Webers though! I did the 74mm stroke and stock valve size heads. Thinking of upgrading to L3, Heads or Steve Tims 39mmX32mm Valve heads.
When mine was a 1641cc engine it climbed those highway hills in third gear at 50mph, Now with the 74mmX88 Piston & Cylinder and the Dual Dellorto 36mm carbs it's climbing a lot of highway hills at 65mph but still will slow down to about 54mph on the steep ones but I'm in 4th gear on them now.
Most of the head guys here on the samba are telling me that big valve heads would not really work on mine that I would loose torque! But a few guys have done it Rich above and another bus I know of has the 044 heads and a CB-2232 Cam. He is claiming 24mpg I think he is using Weber IDF's 40's. I have been getting about the same gas millage in mine as with the old 1641cc with stock solex 34 Pict-3 did. Around 20-21-22 MPG. A little better on trips. But man what a difference with those Dual Dell's! It will zip right up to 80mph on the flat in no time.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfromnapa,

of course I'm not sure how much you know about engines, but if you are handy with the spanners, a quick and easy upgrade would be to install 40mm Kadron twin carburettors and an extractor style exhaust onto the 1600 engine you have - assuming it is good condition, of course. I have done this with several Beetles (not Kombis, admittedly) and the extra zooom this provides within the standard rev range of the engine is surprising

This will be an afternoon's pleasant spanner and if the result may be exactly what you desire. Kadrons have been around since the early 1970s and are just about idiot-proof. Your light-load/part throttle driving economy will improve... but use the power and it will cost you just a little extra

But if you need a bigger smile Smile get a 1916 built. For almost the same component and machining costs as a 1776 you get plenty of extra useful capacity. The 1916 retains the standard VW crank (and works very well up to around 95hp with standard heads, too) so you do not carry the expense or long-term quality risks of an aftermarket and/or stroker crank.

The 1916 is a tried-and-true engine building formula that has been successful for more than 30 years in street driven Beetles, Kombis and motorsport VWs. There is also some myth associated with this engine package... usually cut 'n pasted from the interwebs!

And the new carbies and exhaust you fitted at first will be perfect on the 1916 so you haven't risked any money or components.

Hope this gets you thinking!

Last edited by VWCOOL on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
The bigger the bore the hotter they run an

Would you like to back-up that statement, Dan?
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian71 wrote:
Its

The larger the stroke, the easier your top end can move that rotating element, giving you more power and placing less wear and tear on your bearings, journals, etc. .

Not quite sure what this means, Brian... can you clarify?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Sizing Question Reply with quote

my advice is and has always been to go as big as you can on the bore FIRST, then start stroking. So if it's a bus, you may conclude that 92TW is your size, so budget for the P&Cs, and the machine work on the case and heads. If you still have $ left over, budget for 74mm, then if still $ left over, go 82mm.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
Brian71 wrote:
Its

The larger the stroke, the easier your top end can move that rotating element, giving you more power and placing less wear and tear on your bearings, journals, etc. .

Not quite sure what this means, Brian... can you clarify?

I think what he is saying it's like riding a bicycle! The longer your petal crank the easier it is to petal.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
The bigger the bore the hotter they run an

Would you like to back-up that statement, Dan?

We proved that to you in a thread a few months ago. Now your back again.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one ever PROVED anything. Proof requires extensive testing, taking into account many factors, such as ambient temp, variations in building tolerances, octane of fuel used, oil thickness, oil makeup, differences in parts, induction sizing, exhaust sizing, cooling systems, cooling across all four cylinder banks, a/f ratio, ignition timing, advance curves, I could go on...

By just saying, "I built a 1776 and it ran cooler to the touch than my 1915" doesn't mean squat. Not too many of us can do that kind of testing, or even care to. All I know is when I was in my 20s I put at least 30,000 miles on a used 1915 that had another 5 years of daily driving on it. After I sold that engine, someone else continued to use it after me. That was in a heavier Super Beetle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: