Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Sizing Question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops double post

Last edited by VWCOOL on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
VWCOOL wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
The bigger the bore the hotter they run an

Would you like to back-up that statement, Dan?

We proved that to you in a thread a few months ago. Now your back again.

No vwracerdave, none of the participants in the thread you mention - PROVED anything. In fact, there was little more than several pages of "I read it on the internet - so it MUST be true!" type of rubbish....

On the other hand, I put up several vids of the 1916s I own busting the myths many people - especially, it seems, in the US - seem to perpetuate.

But I'm happy to hear what Dan has to say to back up his statement from his experience with engines...

Last edited by VWCOOL on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
VWCOOL wrote:
Brian71 wrote:
Its

The larger the stroke, the easier your top end can move that rotating element, giving you more power and placing less wear and tear on your bearings, journals, etc. .

Not quite sure what this means, Brian... can you clarify?

I think what he is saying it's like riding a bicycle! The longer your petal crank the easier it is to petal.

better to have more muscle Wink

Then you can push the pedals harder

Last edited by VWCOOL on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I look at it is with more stroke more mussel is even stronger and it also does not need to work as hard, less throttle.
I think the thing that determines what size an engine to build for a bus should be just how do you want it to drive. Want a zippy racy thing then limit the stroke want a tractor do the 78mm stroke or even the 82mm stroke. 76mm stroke X 92 Bore would be very nice. I have not gotten there yet, I would like to build a 74mm stroke X 92 bore myself. I think it could easily develop 125 hp with 40mm X 35.5mm ported heads etc... Do the short rods too probably stick with the Web cam 163.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I would suggest using a well known builder like Chico @ CPR who knows what will work in a Bus.

This is what I am coming to the realization of while still trying to figure out what combo of stuff to use in my build for my bus. The building part of it I can handle, but the planning part is the hardest part to me.
'69 Bug
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
VWCOOL wrote:
Brian71 wrote:
Its

The larger the stroke, the easier your top end can move that rotating element, giving you more power and placing less wear and tear on your bearings, journals, etc. .

Not quite sure what this means, Brian... can you clarify?

I think what he is saying it's like riding a bicycle! The longer your petal crank the easier it is to petal.

Precisely. Another good example would be tightening or loosening a bolt with a 6" long wrench versus a 12" long wrench. The greater the leverage, the less force is required to move the part. The same basic principle applies to the movement of your crankshaft. The further out from the shaft center you locate that rod journal, the less force is required to rotate it.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the spanner analogy explains things nicely... however, in the context of engine operation, it overlooks the fact the piston cannot step sideways to make best use of the extra leverage. The piston's push is always on the centre-line of the 'nut' being loosened (analogous to the crank) whereas you and I can step sideways to square-up the pull on the spanner.

Compared to a stroker, a bigger bore motor fills its cylinders faster, earlier: for instance a 94mm bore moving 15mm down its stroke will pull in more air than a 90.5mm bore moving 15mm down its stroke. This not only fills the cylinder faster in the first part of the stroke but accelerates the air column in the intake tract faster, too, so cylinder fill after mid-stroke (when the piston is decelerating toward BDC) is often greater, thanks to the momentum of the intake charge.

So, more air earlier in the stroke, and a nice little sneak-in of extra air later in the stroke. Win-win!

A longer stroke, smaller-bore engine also places greater peak airflow demand on the intake port at mid-stroke. Said simply, this is the time during the intake stroke where airflow is at its maximum and hence where the port is at its most restrictive to airflow: a bigger-bore engine has less peak airflow demand. The cylinders 'see' less of a restriction imposed on it by the head/ports. Win!

Bcauuse it's been sucking-in more air already, and will continue to do so towards BDC, it offers a higher average air flow through its port. Win!

A bigger bore also provides less shrouding of the intake valve... something that Chrysler used to its tremendous advantage with the Hemi. With the wall of the cylinder further from the valve, more air can sneak in past the valve adjacent to the bore. Another win!

These are some immutable, simple, fundamentals of engine operation. They also provide some clues as to why some strokers run out of breath earlier in the rev range than a bigger-bore, shorter-stroke engine and may develop less actual peak torque for the same capacity.... cylinder fill and therefore peak cylinder pressure is less.

However, they deliver their torque earlier in the rev range which, seat-of-pants, on the street, feels like it's torquier.

Engine design... it's as easy as riding a bike!

Last edited by VWCOOL on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
Using the spanner analogy explains things nicely... however, in the context of engine operation, it overlooks the fact the piston cannot step sideways to make best use of the extra leverage. The piston's push is always on the centre-line of the 'nut' being loosened (analogous to the crank) whereas you and I can step sideways to square-up the pull on the spanner.

Well, fortunate for us the 4 cycle engine has a power stroke in addition to the compression stroke.
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has posted in here. I'm trying not to duplicate information/conversation/agruements that are in other posts... but it's hard. There are lots of them!

Let me shift the conversation slightly if I can. (It's my post Razz )

Help me understand how to get the best fuel efficiency our of a big bore / big stroke combo. I've know a lot of guys with big engines, and they have spent a lot of $$ trying to achieve good MPG with no luck. I keep hearing promises of 20+ mpg, but don't know anyone who has achieved it. Regardless if I decide to buy the parts and build the engine myself, or if I choose to have someone else build it I need to make sure I'm making good choices. Any builder or parts dealer is going to have their opinion and try to effect my buying decision. I want to be prepared.

So let's assume that I've decided to go BIG, and let's pretend that money is no issue! 94mm bore and 82mm stroke to put into my 71 Bus. I've now got a 2275. What now? (Comments or links to threads that have the info I'm looking for is appreciated.)

To help with cooling I plan to full flow the case and install an external oil filter. Are there any other "extras" that I can install for extra cooling?

I also plan on using a SVDA, and biggest alternator I can find. (Not that the Alternator will help MPG, but this is a camper, I have a 2nd battery, and a lot of other "extras" do more amps is desirable.)

Heads? Ported? How Big?

Cam size?

Carbs? Size? Jets?

Exhaust? I plan on using heater boxes.

What else am I missing?

Check out my band, Thru The Haze
http://www.thruthehazeband.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MPG is a major concern in a big heavy Bay Window Bus then don't build larger then a 2110 engine. If you insist on a 2276 then forget about MPG.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74x92TW FTW

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a good combo then it'll naturally get fair to good mileage without trying anything special.

#1 mistake is probably running heads or carbs too big. You build an engine that runs great 4-6K rpm then cruise at 3k and it won't be happy and won't get good MPG. Shoot for 3500 RPM peak torque. That's about 1800CC with stock size heads and carbs, bigger heads carbs then UP the CC';s in proportion.

Always run enough compression for the cam and make it tight deck.

The common short tube merged headers will often operate the the harmonic at 3-3.3k rpm causing it to run well there but overscavenge and hurt your MPG. Then nearer to 4k rpm it's in a bad spot and runs hotter. Not ideal. A lot of this can be fixed with careful choice of muffler, another option is to just use a minimum overlap cam (web 218 110 LC?) and a neutral acting exhaust like the vintage speed superflow.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Move That Bus Reply with quote

ManFromNapa,

84 Stroke with chevy journals. Costs the same as any other stroker, and with chevy journals the clearancing is not bad. With the torque of the 84mm, You can run your engine at lower RPM's and get better mpg's then any of the smaller motors.

92mm Thick Wall
Coolest running and Strongest, I don't know why anyone would choose 90.5 or any other when 92 thick-walls have the thickest cylinder wall of all of them at 4.6mm)

MOFOCO 050
First reason cause we should not promote a communist country by purchasing CB Chinese castings, 501 castings, or any others that hail from over-seas slave labor. We have a choice, so choose Made In USA.
Cause they will cool better then the rest and flow perfect for a 2234 with the cam below. Cut for 94's, so you can run your 92 thickwalls.

Run the single springs the MOFOCO 050's come with, CB lightweight lifters, Engle W120, and 12lb 4340 Flywheel. This will have a Very efficient rotating mass engine that has torque to keep your bus moving without shifting down for those mountains EVER. Run 40-44 IDF's dialed in properly With a MSD 6A box and you will get your 23+mpg. This combo will give you the potential to get even better mileage depending on your gearing in fourth and careful carb tuning.

Jeff

Almost took out a water pumper in 2nd gear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G_TLCJoRkk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give my two cents worth...
Does your engine now really need a rebuild? If the end play is good, it has good oil pressure and compression checks out ok, just bolt on a few goodies to increase your performance (for now). I would use dual 36 Dellorto's, a proper 1 3/8" header with quiet muffler (do not use that 4 tip junk), and some 1.4:1 rockers with single HD valve springs and HD aluminium pushrods. You will get an easy 30%+ increase in power, and as long as you don't have a heavy right foot, some nice mileage gains as well. When the time does come for a rebuild, you can swap those parts over to a larger engine.
If you want to use factory heater boxes, that will limit you to a sub 2 liter engine and stock size valves (not a bad thing). I recommend the 1915 (with the parts mentioned above) as well, it's cheap, easy to build and is very reliable if built and maintained correctly.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate you need to decide if you want a Prius or a usable Kombi for camping
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian71 wrote:
VWCOOL wrote:

Well, fortunate for us the 4 cycle engine has a power stroke in addition to the compression stroke.

OK... I pull on my spanners. Do you push?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the 2231 Grind for millage?
It has stock lift but looks like really soft ramps, seems to have huge over lap though! Is it just a different version of a stock cam? I was thinking of using it for a (74mmX88mm) Stroke/Bore millage engine in a bus.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:

OK... I pull on my spanners. Do you push?

in shop they said to push but I disagree. Hurts the knuckles more to punch an engine block then myself. Ever punched yourself in the face doing that? Laughing

Dan.... sure,that cam would probably be good in a near stock engine......with a single carb or little one barrel duals. It's like a stock cam plus 5 degrees. The cheater is probably better but it is more agessive (more lift).
With IDfs or DRLA carbs you can use more cam/compression. Maybe a fk-41
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManFromNapa wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has posted in here. I'm trying not to duplicate information/conversation/agruements that are in other posts... but it's hard. There are lots of them!

Let me shift the conversation slightly if I can. (It's my post Razz )

Help me understand how to get the best fuel efficiency our of a big bore / big stroke combo. I've know a lot of guys with big engines, and they have spent a lot of $$ trying to achieve good MPG with no luck. I keep hearing promises of 20+ mpg, but don't know anyone who has achieved it. Regardless if I decide to buy the parts and build the engine myself, or if I choose to have someone else build it I need to make sure I'm making good choices. Any builder or parts dealer is going to have their opinion and try to effect my buying decision. I want to be prepared.

So let's assume that I've decided to go BIG, and let's pretend that money is no issue! 94mm bore and 82mm stroke to put into my 71 Bus. I've now got a 2275. What now? (Comments or links to threads that have the info I'm looking for is appreciated.)

To help with cooling I plan to full flow the case and install an external oil filter. Are there any other "extras" that I can install for extra cooling?

I also plan on using a SVDA, and biggest alternator I can find. (Not that the Alternator will help MPG, but this is a camper, I have a 2nd battery, and a lot of other "extras" do more amps is desirable.)

Heads? Ported? How Big?

Cam size?

Carbs? Size? Jets?

Exhaust? I plan on using heater boxes.

What else am I missing?

I don't know may-be "jpaull" is right! (Big can work too) I ran across his video of the bug that won't stay on the track sometime back! I wonder what that car is like to drive. I guess his engine though is not that much different in size from our Subaru OutBack 2.5 liter which gets 24-32mpg. it only weighs in at 3200 lbs though I think! The Bus weighs in at about 5000 lbs.
The milage engine builds threads on Air Cooled Net and CB Performance are for Bug engines. I Don't Know perhaps a nice 74mmX88mm with single port heads or something could get 24 mpg's. It would be nice to do in a early bus though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: