Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet More Brake Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Superbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Yet More Brake Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Reply with quote

Someone help before I beat my bug to death! Evil or Very Mad Wink

Everyone is probably getting sick of me writing in with my brake problems but I still can't get them to work.
Ok here is what I replaced
All rubber lines
Passenger wheel cylinder
Master Cylinder
Front and back shoes.

I adjusted the shoes in tight against the drums and now the drums can't turn.
I push on the brake pedal and it just about hits the floor (light brake feeling about a inch before the floor)
I pump the brake pedal a few times and then hold it tight.
Someone else then opens the bleeder (has a hose hooked to it going to a jar)
We bleed it for a while, go through about 4 reserve tanks (never letting it get below half) and then when there is no more air we move to the next wheel.
We are starting with the closest to the master cylinder (I was told to start there) and I have done each wheel probably 10 times and yet there is not difference in the brakes.
If I pump the brakes a few times it gets a little better.
The bug is parked on clean cement and there isn't a drop of fluid anywhere. I pressurized the reserve tank for several days and it did not leak a drip. But I am wondering if I am sucking in air from somewhere?

This isn't the first time I have done brakes, I did my '81 Chevy 1 ton pickup and I didn't have much trouble at all.
But for some reason I can't get this bug.
I have been bleeding these brakes for about 3 hours a day for the past week.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ck the hard line running from the master cylinder through the car to the three way fitting in the back. This line develops pinhole leaks because of being in a wet damp environment. Sometimes overlooked because the fluid goes into the tar board or carpet and goes unnoticed . Another thing to ck is free play at the master cylinder rod. Bentley manual says never alter this setting but you and I know after all these years the cars have been dicked over sometimes pedal clusters replaced,stops moved because of pans replaced etc,etc.
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet More Brake Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Reply with quote

74 Superbeetle wrote:
.........Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I just went through an ordeal getting my neighbor's '63's brakes to work. I did everything bleeding wise, 3 master cylinders, etc. and nothing helped. Mine turned out to be someone had changed the length of the rod that goes into the master cylinder and it wasn't getting enough stoke to push fluid through the system. Just a thought. Think

-dasdachshund
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed from the farthest first and work your way closer.( RR, LR, RF and then LF) See if that helps, something I learned probably 40 years ago! Also remember; pressure(pumped up), then loosen bleeder, down(peddle of course), tight(bleeder). Repeat until no air comes out. I can still hear a couple of guys I worked with repeating this mantra in my head! Good luck! Dave J
Government
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: try this Reply with quote

You are not adjusting it still... Just because the drums have stopped turning does not mean you have both sides adjusted all the way out. If you were, you would not have to pump pump pump hold anymore, you would barely have 3 in. Of travel if are adjusted to the max.

Not saying that you didn't adjust, just saying you can go more if you are still going all the way to floor, if... The circuit is closed that is. I was where you are now last week, bled dozens of Mer'ican brakes before. These are not Yankee brakes... Follow the instruction given by wise folks here. I would have already wracked my brain if not for this site. Adjust till you can no longer adjust on both stars per wheel. The pedal WILL feel solid and not go to floor when there.

Also make sure you have taken slack from brake actuator rod on pedal, new MC nave have majorly different rod depth before engaging.

Good luck. Step away and take some brakes to ponder situation if you get frustrated.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are literally hundreds of good threads on here about brake bleeding.

1) Adjust your drums ALL THE WAY TIGHT. This is the only way brake bleeding on a VW should start, IMO.
2) Pressure bleed your brakes.
3) Adjust your drums to spec.
4) Done.

It takes less than $20 in parts to build a pressure bleeder out of a garden sprayer from Walmart, a scavenged reservoir cap, and some rubber hose. You will be done with your brakes in thirty minutes.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djghia wrote:
Bleed from the farthest first and work your way closer.( RR, LR, RF and then LF) See if that helps, something I learned probably 40 years ago!

This only applies to single circuit master cylinders.

As mentioned above - make sure there is a small bit of play before the brake push rod makes contact with the master cylinder.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Superbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for all of the tips.
I guess I'll give it another go.
Thanks again
Jeff_Birt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
djghia wrote:
Bleed from the farthest first and work your way closer.( RR, LR, RF and then LF) See if that helps, something I learned probably 40 years ago!

This only applies to single circuit master cylinders.

No, it does not only apply to single circuit systems! The main idea applies to every system.

To be as generic as possible in the description; you want to start at the brake furthest away from the master cylinder and work to the closest. On a single circuit system on a left hand drive vehicle that is as written above. A right hand drive you would do LR, RR, LF, RF of course.

On a dual circuit you could do the front pair of brakes first and then the rear, again working from furthest away from the master cylinder to the closest. So on a left hand drive vehicle if you started at the front you would do the FR, FL and then move to the RR, RL.

Rather then remembering all the different way you 'could' do it based on single/dual circuit right/left hand drive the general rule of starting the furthest away from the master cylinder and working closest to it always works.
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: try this Reply with quote

Government wrote:
You are not adjusting it still... Just because the drums have stopped turning does not mean you have both sides adjusted all the way out. If you were, you would not have to pump pump pump hold anymore, you would barely have 3 in. Of travel if are adjusted to the max.

Not saying that you didn't adjust, just saying you can go more if you are still going all the way to floor, if... The circuit is closed that is. I was where you are now last week, bled dozens of Mer'ican brakes before. These are not Yankee brakes... Follow the instruction given by wise folks here. I would have already wracked my brain if not for this site. Adjust till you can no longer adjust on both stars per wheel. The pedal WILL feel solid and not go to floor when there.

Also make sure you have taken slack from brake actuator rod on pedal, new MC nave have majorly different rod depth before engaging.

Good luck. Step away and take some brakes to ponder situation if you get frustrated.

adjust the brakes

adjust the brakes

all 8 of them

do it as many times as you have bled

if you would have adjusted the brakes you would have never come to this point
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you are having ongoing brake issues. Try the suggestions above and check the brake push rod for proper length.

What worked for me was the good ole gravity pull method. I also used some clear fish tank line on the bleeder down to a glass jar. Made viewing bubbles easy, as I bled. I had the wife help pump the brake pedal, in the meantime. It is very low tech but it worked for me. If any of those parts are not on tight, then it is all in vain.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if your distance of the Master cylinder brake rod at the pedal is correct. You should--when pushing on the brake pedal by hand--have only 1/4 inch of freeplay before you feel resistance. This 1/4 inch freeplay equals 1 mm at the opposing, inner, tip of the adjustment rod.

If not 1/4 inch at the pedal, loosen the rod's lock nut and turn the rod all the way in until it just stops. Now back off one half turn. Your pedal should now show the 1/4 inch freeplay. If not turn the rod in or out to get it (just tiny increments). Tighten the lock nut when done.

Tim
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

Sucks the fluid (and air) through the system. Works great.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure to turn both adjusters out about the same number of turns, readjust the wheel after bleeding it, and before moving to the next wheel.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP ALL BLEEDING

concentrate on the actual adjustment of all 8 shoes

adjust them

adjust them

try the pedal and adjust them all again

do like everybody else and install disc brakes on front

then you have 2 wheels in adjustment by the fact of disc brakes

remember the parking brake

that works when the rear brakes are in adjustment
74 Superbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your time,
I just checked the brake push rod and it seems to be adjusted correctly, I will readjust the shoes tight and I will see where that gets me.
Thanks again for the info
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question.......when you 'pump up and hold' and someone else opens a bleed screw, do they then close the bleed screw after the peddle goes to the floor, while you 're-pump'? Just wondering.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gargamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vernonc wrote:
Stupid question.......when you 'pump up and hold' and someone else opens a bleed screw, do they then close the bleed screw after the peddle goes to the floor, while you 're-pump'? Just wondering.

mort

Close the bleed valve, when the peddle is depressed down. Otherwise you can get air back in.
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gargamel wrote:
vernonc wrote:

mort

Close the bleed valve, when the peddle is depressed down. Otherwise you can get air back in.

Yes, I know that but I was wondering if the OP (or many others) knows that. Laughing

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untill they (the SHOES) are adjusted

you will not get any pedal resistance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: