Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Ghia ignition replacement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

I couldn't find much info on replacing the ignition assembly on '68 Ghias so I figured I'd take pics while I did mine.

So, after you have the steering wheel off and have removed the turn signal ring, you will need to remove two screws to slide off the ignition cover.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ignition assembly will slide right out.

You will need to use a small point to press in the locking tab on the lock cylinder. I used a pen tip.

There is a retaining pin pressed into the housing to hold down the coupler and spring. Press this out with needle nose pliers. It will not come out all the way.

Coupler removed

The ignition switch slides into the bottom of the housing and is secured by a small threaded pin. Remove this pin and slide out the switch.

Be careful, mine came out in pieces and the metal can stuck inside and had to be soaked in penetrating oil to remove it. Be very careful trying to pry it out if it is stuck as the housing is made of very soft pot metal and will crack easily!

New switch just slides into the housing and secures with the threaded pin

Just a tiny bit of blue Loctite is all you need.

When reinstalling the coupler, note the shape of the pin as it fits a certain way into the switch. Also, the cutout on the left must clear the notch inside the can.

I added a little white lithium grease before installing the coupler.

The tab on the bottom of the lock cylinder fits into the hole on the coupler.

The only problem I had with the reproduction lock cylinder is that it had no cutout for clearance of the pin that holds the coupler down and doesn't allow the lock cylinder to slide in and clip into place.

This is the notch on the OEM cylinder

A Dremel with a metal cutting bit will make a quick notch on the repro cylinder.

The lock cylinder will now push in far enough to snap into place and can be installed back into the steering lock column.

I hope this helps. Main thing is be careful with the ignition housing because it's so soft. I tried prying the old switch can out but it quickly started to distort and gouge the housing. Needless to say I stopped and just soaked it.

Good luck!

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)

Last edited by jpjohns on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up! Makes me want to get a '68 Laughing
I'm sure John will be here soon and will turn this into a stickie!

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep added to the "How To" sticky at the top of the Ghia Section.

Great write up...many thanks Jared. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcat917
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos, that was a great article and DIY info.
1981 Puma GTB http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7794566#7794566
1971 Karmann Ghia http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591290&highlight=
Past Projects:
1951 Studebaker Business Coupe https://goo.gl/photos/eHPuNo89m9PXZwBM8
1953 Studebaker 2-Door Sedan https://goo.gl/photos/pe38HEShzUrVSwcV8
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I hope I helps someone.

Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

Jared,

I noticed your old ignition had only 3 wires but the new ignition has 4 (the grey is extra). What did you do with the grey wire?

Thanks,
Lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

The grey wire isn't used.

Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

Jared,
Just to be clear, the key switch part actually needs to be removed to install the electronic portion of the ignition?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

If you are just replacing the switch, it goes in the bottom. Theres a small flat head screw that has to be removed to get the switch out but it helps to remove the key housing too.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

Was about to ask about the 4-wire part I received... Thank goodness I found this thread. Very informative. My 68's ignition has been rebuilt, now to shove it in and wire it up. Thanks everyone!!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

Hi Jared

Since you're the expert on this, please help me solve this problem. My '68 Ghia has the original switch and key. When I turn the ignition on, the key does not jump back to a neutral position, with the result that the starter motor keeps running until I manually move the key back to neutral.

I have a new switch - the part you replaced. Before I start replacing things I'd like to know where you think the problem lies. Please.

Chris M
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

It looks like I'll be doing this on a Jan of 1970 production Ghia Coupe soon. I imagine that the process so very well shown above on a 1968 will be fairly similar on a 1970, but if anyone has done this on a 1970, can you add any details and differences in the process? I believe that the electrical switch is broken on mine, I think the key mechanism is fine and will attempt to re-use that. I ordered the switch from KGPR and it looks similar to the one used in the '68 above with four wires. So am I also NOT using the grey wire at all in my 1970 Ghia? Thanks for any advice! I'm not looking forward to this, but until I pull this repair off, I can't drive my old Ghia...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
It looks like I'll be doing this on a Jan of 1970 production Ghia Coupe soon. I imagine that the process so very well shown above on a 1968 will be fairly similar on a 1970, but if anyone has done this on a 1970, can you add any details and differences in the process? I believe that the electrical switch is broken on mine, I think the key mechanism is fine and will attempt to re-use that. I ordered the switch from KGPR and it looks similar to the one used in the '68 above with four wires. So am I also NOT using the grey wire at all in my 1970 Ghia? Thanks for any advice! I'm not looking forward to this, but until I pull this repair off, I can't drive my old Ghia...

Bill

The gray wire is for the 'key left in' buzzer. Your choice to still use it or not.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

I would probably hook up the key buzzer reminder feature with that gray wire. When looking at my original dirty harness, what wire or connector or terminal do I hook that gray wire to? Do you know the color or combination of colors of the wire in the old original harness that the new grey wire should make too? I have an original dealership wiring diagram for my 70 guia to refer to, just need to find what that grey wire should connect to.

Thanks so much for the speedy reply and advice. My symptom initially was that I would turn the key to the on position and then continue to turn it all the way to "start" position and the engine would crank over and fire up, but when I release the key to spring back to the "on" position the engine would die. So I cannot get the engine to run without repairing what I assume is the electrical part of the ignition switch. Thanks again!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

Hi all,

I got tired of dicking around with the Ghia and not being able to drive it, so I decided to jerry-rig the brand new new switch in and unplug the old switch still in the steering column of my 1970 Ghia. I wanted to test it in a way that I could definitely confirm that the original electrical switch in the column was the culprit of my non running issues. So I unplugged the wires behind the dashboard to the fuse box and light switch from the original electrical switch. Then I wired in the new switch and plugged it up and left it laying loose up in the front trunk area. Then i hooked up the battery and held my breath and used a screwdriver to simulate the key and turn the switch to "start" and back to "on/run". The new switch worked like a charm! It was so good to hear that 1776 running after about 2 years of sitting in the garage. So good that I left everything the way I wired it and took the car out for a 25 mile drive to run some fuel through it and Ponder my next move. Now I will have to take the Formuling France steering wheel off the column and take apart the ignition switch/lock assembly and remove the old original electrical switch and reinstall the new one and putting everything back together. I might even re-install the stock steering wheel again, who knows? Great to hear the Ghia running again!

If I remember. I will try to take some photos of the process to add to this thread concerning a January of 1970 production Ghia switch replacement...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

If I remember. I will try to take some photos of the process to add to this thread concerning a January of 1970 production Ghia switch replacement.

Glad to read you had a moment of enjoyment with your Ghia. Endless problem solving gets old ofter a time but getting out on the road is a joy.
Yes, please do add to the thread, we all enjoy well documented contributions in that regard.

Nicholas
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

And don't use third party picture hosting. Wink
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

xzener wrote:

Haha...Bill posting 3rd party...wash your mouth out. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

xzener wrote:

I didn't post ANY photos yet in my above posts. I'm assuming the comment from "xzener" was a preemptive warning? I have NEVER used third part photo hosting, I have ALWAYS hosted any photos that I have right on the Samba gallery. Did I do something wrong, did I miss something? Are you guys are "harshing my Ghia buzz"?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ghia ignition replacement Reply with quote

Just a friendly reminder. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: